Sponsored

tweak89

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2002 Thunderbird
So, it ended up taking almost 2 months (due to the ridiculous way parts are being distributed). In addition to the new gearbox I did get a PCM re-program. I have to say, it finally feels "right". I'll never understand how this was allowed to be an issue in the first place. That being said, I'm glad it's finally fixed!
Sponsored

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I took mine in to MacHayk after making an appointment and describing the problem only to be told I couldn't wait on it and that they may not get to it because it was a Friday???? . So we made another appointment with arrangements to leave it all day. 1 hour after I dropped it off they called and said I could pick it up and that yes it was the service bulletin I gave them a copy of.
I should call back in a month and see if the part was in...What no waiting list I guess if you happen to call the day the part comes in you get it. I called back a month later and was told call back in a month. I ask where I was on the waiting list. The reply was there wasn't a waiting list. I asked so when the part comes it you will call. No they don't keep a waiting list but there are a few more that are having the same issue...WTF.
I may have to start Taking it to Nyle for service and it's closer to my job in Cedar park...Nice to know Nyle treats customers like that. I bought two Dodges from Maxwell in Taylor and always had a pleasant experience with them.
I almost bought my Gladiator from MacHayk but got a better price with Nyle Naxwell. Iā€™ll post an update the next time I contact Nileā€™s service department on the status of the replacement parts. Good to know that my post is helping people out!

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
So I am back to being torn about "it's just a Jeep thing" or thinking there was really something wrong with all of our trucks. I just got the new gearbox installed last week (only took two weeks from the diagnosis to install) and while it is a tighter feel and there is a much smaller dead spot, there is still a lot of sloppiness in the steering that is not that unlike my JKR and towing a lightly loaded, dual axle trailer this weekend, it felt back to the way it was before the gearbox. I will say that obviously Jeep wouldn't have created the TSB and replaced all these parts if there weren't real issues, but I don't know if some of you might have been exaggerating your own steering issues some. NO JUDGMENT, but there is a reason why "it's a Jeep thing" is a saying. Mine really wasn't that bad in my opinion before the new gear, but I figured getting a new replacement part after 28000 miles on the original would just give me longer wear on that component and wouldn't hurt if the replacement was made out of steel. However, I know I am not the first to report not a lot of change after the replacement. I'm on stock Rubicon suspension, 35" Milestar Patagonia M/T.

Before the new steering gear however, I never once felt like it was a safety issue. I know several of you felt like you were going to drive off the road yours was so bad. I really wish I could drive a few other JT's for comparison.

Last edited:

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Have you inspected the balljoints, unit bearings, trackbar and all of the steering? I don't like to leave the work up to a random dealer mechanic; you can check most of these out with just a helper to turn the wheel left-right.

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No
Anyone have any luck with a lift and tires on theirs? My dealer wouldn't even look at it with the my 37s (it's wandered since new).

Sponsored

RedRaptorJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR Launch Edition
Here's my story. I have a JTR with the Mopar lift, Mopar/Fox Steering Stabilizer and 37" K02s installed on stock wheels.

Dealership & FCA Canada rejected my claim for the TSB fix citing to the fact that I have an "aftermarket" lift installed. I reached out to JeepCares to seek guidance with the expectation they won't be able to actually do anything.

JeepCares stepped up big time! Got in touch with FCA Canada, had my case escalated. Both FCA Canada and dealership agreed to complete the TSB fix.

Got it all done last Thursday. Even without actually driving it, I could tell the steering was way more tighter and stiff. The difference in feeling is "night & day". Wandering has been reduced drastically as well as the dead zones.

For all those getting rejected or feeling lazy. Fight the good fight. Get JeepCares involved. This is a worthwhile fix!

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Anyone have any luck with a lift and tires on theirs? My dealer wouldn't even look at it with the my 37s (it's wandered since new).
There are tons of people on here with lifts and larger tires....and have had no problems. You are far from liable for this TSB issue out of your own pocket.

Find a different dealer. Then swear to never again go to those others that refused you...ever again.

MR GRANITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave Gobi
Maybe a dumb question. Why do they have to check alignment after steering box replacement?

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I had an oil change two weeks ago and talked to the service manager about the TSB. He said he will order the parts and call me. Well he called yesterday and will be taking it in tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully on the 29th.

Psycho Squirrel

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 White Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, '14 Black Grand Cherokee Limited, '63 Blue Corvair Monza,
Just had mine done at Tate Jeep in Frederick MD. Been using them for years, ask for Shane in the service department! Had to wait a week or so for parts but they took awesome care of me! I took the TSB in with me and there was no argument. They also replaced the rear glass that was leaking. Canā€™t recommend them enough.

Sponsored

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Maybe a dumb question. Why do they have to check alignment after steering box replacement?
No, but they may check to make sure that the steering wheel is centered - not a full alignment

Antonio

First Name
Jose Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I just bought a Mojave a week ago and it tracks pretty well ... I have not owned a jeep before so I dont really know what to expect ... It is a bit sloppy but I did not consider it to be overly so ...

Last night I checked my build date and it was built in July ...

I wonder if the very recent builds already have this change done ? Does anyone have any recommendations on how I could confirm this ? I dont want to call and ask because I believe that they would likely tell me mine was not affected. I would tend to not believe them without my own research ...

Any thoughts ?
I have my Mojave in October this year I did check the steering box, here is a picture of it if you do want to check yours.. this is the new steering box number 68507576AA.
I does drive much better than my 2020 rubicon that is for sure

33C8B90D-7D43-4C0C-9B6D-101BDA57130A.jpeg

Antonio

First Name
Jose Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
well hereā€™s a nice image of the old style ā€œaluminumā€ steering box which looks mostly steel to me in the image. You can see the barcode with p/n as well , take a look at yours and see !

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/power-steering-box-jt-68418449AE

ā€œOldā€ part number 68418449AE
New one is: 68507576AA

it sure would be interesting see what all they changed over the course of what.. 6 versions?
Yes the new one is the 68507576AA I do have that one on my 2021 Mojave from factory it does drive much better than my 2020 Gladiator Rubicon for sure.

Antonio

First Name
Jose Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
This "steering wandering" TSB explains a lot. We just bought a 2020 Mojave, it's my wife's vehicle. Before this one, she test drove two others. The first one, she complained that the steering wandered. The second one, she said the steering was "better," but says there was still too much excess play. This third one, that we purchased, she's really complaining about it wandering and being hard to control. It all makes perfect sense now.
I just got mine 3 weeks ago and it came with the new steering box 68507576AA. Make sure you ask for the right one I got a friend with a 2020 Mojave he when to the dealer an they put the same old box... here is a picture of mine

9D12835E-EBC3-455D-B492-2D9F0E6759E9.jpeg

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
Got a ā€˜20 Rubicon and they just ordered the parts for it. Monroeville Jeep outside Pittsburgh. Sounds like they have done at least one other so far.

I was a little nervous because this dealer has been annoying about things like always topping my 35ā€ tires off to 37psi and resetting my tire size/tpms settings, so I was expecting the Falcon steering dampener and 35ā€ tires to be a hot point, but they test rode it to verify issue and said theyā€™d get it ordered itā€™d be under warranty.

I told them the things I had done to try to correct issue (dampener, air down, change stock rims to ones an inch wider for better tire geometry), told them I got it with 35s from dealer, told them it wanders and sucks on twisty back roads and canā€™t hold a line on the highway. I made sure I brought it in with 38psi so they could feel this as best as possible ;). I also noted that it was worse when warm out and was feeling better in the colder weather. I also said that others with a similar setup had been reporting that this corrects the issue for them.

Iā€™m not sure if any of that helped, or if they would have been cool either way, but I really didnā€™t want to have to try to pressure them if they turned me down so I figured Iā€™d load up with info on the front end. This dealer is like 15min from my house and the next closest is well... not.

Only funny caveat is that I have to take off my after market skid plate when I bring it in, which is like.. four bolts, just a Quadratec one to fit on my Arcus bumper and cover the sway bar solenoid and other bits. But if thatā€™s what it takes Iā€™ll take it, I understand extra unknown work isnā€™t something they should have to get into on warranty work. Iā€™ll probably drop it in the parking lot just to be as awkward as possible about it.
Sponsored