First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Construction
My worry with the ess isn’t so much at extra starter wear but the lack of oil pressure and circulation when waiting for a long light. I hate thinking there wasn’t any oil moving around 5 seconds and now here I am pulling off the line.

My only peeve at this point is the thick door wiring and strap that hits the side of my shin when I stretch my leg. I like the missing dead petal.
Sponsored

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
My first experience with ESS was an F150 EcoBoost about 10 years ago. The lag from foot off brake to moving was about 3 seconds. Now, that doesn't seem like very long, unless you're pulling out from a stop sign onto a busy street in Salt Lake City...
I ended up disabling it in the menu.

The Gladiator, now, by the time I have my foot off the brake and over to the gas, it's ready to roll.
And it's not a problem with heating or cooling, because the motor will start if heating or cooling is called for.
Right now I'm driving (a rental) '19 Grand Cherokee, and it's not nearly as smooth with the ESS as the Gladiator.
And, according to Jeep, the starter & related components have all been beefed-up to withstand the ESS cycling.

And it will save fuel, especially if you live where there are Las Vegas-style red lights (I swear to God, the longest red lights in the country!)

Kevin
I will add that I am not a fan of this system with the diesel in particular, due to the turbo and the time needed to let this wind down from high revs- 20-30 thousand rpm if the vehicle is at speed before a stop. Also agree with the “unnecessary” comment.

Further to that, the manufacturer claim of component beef-up is sceptical at best. Why? Simple metallurgy is why. You can beef up the starter pinion by making it harder, or you can beef up the flywheel by making it harder, but if you do both then something will break. Auto manufacturers do not have a good track record of fine tuning metallurgy to the degree necessary for an ideal marriage of steel between the flywheel and the pinion.
It was easy to combine the 2 when the starter pinion was always the sacrificial part in the joining of these 2 parts because it is much easier to change a starter. That is my opinion based on experience.

So I got a Tazer to disable the annoying and useless POS.

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
Yours must be different than mine if the engine kicks in for the climate control. I have sat at a light in winter and the air got down right cold.
Kicks in for max ac. Auto ac doesnt seem to cause a restart. Never going to be cold enough to even try the heater

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
the worst is when I'm going to put it in park. Literally turns off for 1 second,
This, exactly this. I don’t disable the Auto stop start and I’m honestly used to it. But this part irks me. It’s not something that happens every time but I find it does it most often when pulling into my garage. I wish there was just a little more delay to it shutting off.

Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
ESS is shown to save fuel vs leaving the engine running after only a few seconds. SAE studies have shown about an 8% improvement on average.

Almost all of the wear to and engine from starting up is from cold starts, not warm starts, and much of that wear has been negated by improvements in bearing technology. Oils and oiling systems are also better than they were in older engines.

I’ve never been in a vehicle with start-stop that would shut the engine off when the A/C or heat was needed.

I’ve also not been in a vehicle in the last 15 years with start-stop that didn’t have the engine started by the time my foot was all the way off the brake. If any of you are having that problem you should have the dealer take a look because something is wrong.

Starters in start-stop equipped vehicles are designed around the increased use so shutting it off to “save” them is pointless.

Economic and environmental impacts aside, imagine how much more peaceful and less stinky it would be sitting at an intersection in your Jeep with the doors off if the engines of all the cars around you were shut off?

CJ5w4wdSmokyOnMyTail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave JT; 2016 Cherokee
Having owned a number of different vehicles with stop-start and rented even more I really cant understand the hate for it. I’ve never had it be an inconvenience or safety issue.

Whats the problem? Is it fear of change, “the eco people can’t tell me what to do”, or something else?
I have the auto start/stop on my Cherokee. Never bothered me until my battery died two years into owning it. Now I push the disable button every time I drive it. Annoying enough to do that I bought a tazer to disable it for my JT.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Starters in start-stop equipped vehicles are designed around the increased use so shutting it off to “save” them is pointless.
How would it be pointless? If they are designed to deal with more cycles the less it wears the longer it will last.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Having owned a number of different vehicles with stop-start and rented even more I really cant understand the hate for it. I’ve never had it be an inconvenience or safety issue.

Whats the problem? Is it fear of change, “the eco people can’t tell me what to do”, or something else?
Hard on the electronics, hard on the starter, hard on the rotating assembly....on and on

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
ESS is shown to save fuel vs leaving the engine running after only a few seconds. SAE studies have shown about an 8% improvement on average.

Almost all of the wear to and engine from starting up is from cold starts, not warm starts, and much of that wear has been negated by improvements in bearing technology. Oils and oiling systems are also better than they were in older engines.

I’ve never been in a vehicle with start-stop that would shut the engine off when the A/C or heat was needed.

I’ve also not been in a vehicle in the last 15 years with start-stop that didn’t have the engine started by the time my foot was all the way off the brake. If any of you are having that problem you should have the dealer take a look because something is wrong.

Economic and environmental impacts aside, imagine how much more peaceful and less stinky it would be sitting at an intersection in your Jeep with the doors off if the engines of all the cars around you were shut off?
I respect everyone’s POV with regard to the environment, however I live in a country responsible for 1.5% of the earths carbon escape in the environment. I see no need to pay carbon taxes here and pay for vehicle controls that have no effect on the air I breathe. Other countries like the US and China, responsible for more than 50% of the carbon escape, yes.

Sponsored

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
I’ve also not been in a vehicle in the last 15 years with start-stop that didn’t have the engine started by the time my foot was all the way off the brake.
Sorry, mate. Start/Stop wasn't introduced to the US until 2012.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
I respect everyone’s POV with regard to the environment, however I live in a country responsible for 1.5% of the earths carbon escape in the environment. I see no need to pay carbon taxes here and pay for vehicle controls that have no effect on the air I breathe. Other countries like the US and China, responsible for more than 50% of the carbon escape, yes.
India and China. The US is right up there with Canada and the E.U.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
How would it be pointless? If they are designed to deal with more cycles the less it wears the longer it will last.
Because the starter is likely to outlast the engine.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Because the starter is likely to outlast the engine.
That would be good, no? Probably save you at least $600.00 unless you change it yourself.
Sponsored