Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
The three are
one: that silly 'A' auto shutoff capability to save on gas, annoying and unnecessary, I think.
two: No dead pedal or decent rest area for left foot
three: The rubber molding around windows, the joint or seam is dead center on the window causing a dirty streak when it rains
see photo
Mine's a dark color, so I don't notice what you're seeing but d'oh!

I have the manual transmission, so I can push down on the clutch to keep the auto-shutoff from happening for short lights, but I do like having it available to turn off for those endless lights. It's a little odd that it won't turn off if the wheel is turned too far or if you're on an incline over 3 degrees (lots of hills in Pittsburgh). I do end up pushing the Off button when I get to neighborhoods with lots of stop signs.

-Erik
Sponsored

Frank.Martin_1947

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Having owned a number of different vehicles with stop-start and rented even more I really cant understand the hate for it. I’ve never had it be an inconvenience or safety issue.

Whats the problem? Is it fear of change, “the eco people can’t tell me what to do”, or something else?
Do you have live where it’s 115 degrees and have sweat running down your face while waiting for the engine to start

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
I found that with the eight speed auto if I pull the shifter to manual mode it deactivates the auto shut off. While I like the idea of it I can't say its easy for me to adjust too. Studies show it helps with emissions for commuting - ie heavy traffic, but it does add to the wear and tear. Shutting down and starting a diesel 20-30 times a day cant be good. I got the eco diesel because it gets great fuel economy (I avg 27mpg). Cant wait till the electric trucks are for real!

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
It does not, blower goes, but compressor doesn't run (belt driven I assume). I believe there is some magic there to not let it get too hot in the cab though, eventually if you're sitting long enough the engine will kick back on to cool it down and then back off, it rotates, not sure if specific interval or temp.
I live in AZ, so I get to see this all the time. If you put auto stop start (ASS) status on the dash display, it tells you what it's doing. Your ASS can be disabled if it gets too hot, as it should be. Mine activates regularly in our current weather, but occasionally disables itself. Last year in summer it always said my ASS was too hot to work.

There's just nothing intrusive or bad about this system, and I often forget it's working.

wwcenturion

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT
Occupation
Project Manager
The three are
one: that silly 'A' auto shutoff capability to save on gas, annoying and unnecessary, I think.
three: The rubber molding around windows, the joint or seam is dead center on the window causing a dirty streak when it rains
see photo
F01F8B62-51A0-4EFF-B74C-A2D487536654.jpeg
Leaving Dega yesterday (NASCAR race) I was stuck in stop (for a long time) and go traffic. Mostly "stop!" It was nice not having to turn the vehicle off on some of the long stops.

I tend to agree with some others, I have my reservations about the starter and batteries holding up to repeated starts. I guess we'll see in a few years.

Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Do you have live where it’s 115 degrees and have sweat running down your face while waiting for the engine to start
Yes, I have lived in places where it’s 115 degrees or hotter. No, I’ve not had sweat running down my face while waiting for the engine to restart as every vehicle with an auto stop-start system disables it when it’s too hot and the AC is running. Don’t make up false situations to try to prove your (incorrect) point.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
I found that with the eight speed auto if I pull the shifter to manual mode it deactivates the auto shut off. While I like the idea of it I can't say its easy for me to adjust too. Studies show it helps with emissions for commuting - ie heavy traffic, but it does add to the wear and tear. Shutting down and starting a diesel 20-30 times a day cant be good. I got the eco diesel because it gets great fuel economy (I avg 27mpg). Cant wait till the electric trucks are for real!
Its not going to hurt anything. These engines were designed with this system in mind.

Devries

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Gladiator3.6 Overland
Occupation
Digitization
Wow - so close to my top 3 too.

1) to correct ESS, purchased a Tazer mini so that i can control my own Jeep - turn it on or off and its stays as set, just like a radio, or even a window.
2) bought an after market dead-pedal
3) I dislike how the roof drains rain water right into the jeep with an opened door is opened, so added winglet things to channel rain water onto the windscreen

Runner up - I wish i could pair the bluetooth speaker to the Jeep, I listen to XM while overlanding. So, obvious solution, play the ol'radio really load, just like old school

jbmdux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
Start up is the most wearing point in an ice. Doing it 20 times in a 30 minute trip seems designed to premature engine failure.
I disable on every start. Still get over 22 mpg
For a cold start you are correct, after a brief shutdown (under 2 minutes) there is still enough oil up top and on the cylinder walls to start with no issue.
I didn't like it at first, and on a stop and go commute I shut it off, but I do notice the fuel savings on my fairly rural runs around surrounding towns.

gladnewb

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition Rubicon
Occupation
Still figuring that out, but IT for now!
1. I wish I had more slide-back with the drivers seat.
2. Powered rear window
3. The body panels seems to dent very easily which I think is odd for a vehicle that's suppose to be "rugged".

Oh and while everyone is talking about it. I don't find the ESS a big deal at all, but it does make me wonder what the long term quality will be. I like to get every drop out of my MPG.

Sponsored

spomes

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
The three are
see photo
Mimin
The three are
see photo
mine has never worked since I drove it out of the dealership. I love it!! the battery that runs it they said is low. If I charge it it will start working. They told me it won’t hurt anything if I don’t charge the battery.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Mine stops working when I do a lot of city driving, with the same message about the battery. Then when I do a longer highway run, it starts working again for a while.

peteawalk

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
IT
Start up is the most wearing point in an ice. Doing it 20 times in a 30 minute trip seems designed to premature engine failure.
I disable on every start. Still get over 22 mpg
You have a second battery and a secondary starter for the ESS.

Phred01

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Sunbeam Alpine, 2018 Golf GTI, 2013 Turbo Beetle Convertable to be replaced with 2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
The three are
My wife has only had her Gladiator for a month and I've probably driven it less than 200 miles. The auto start/stop only activated once for me, when i was in a drive-thru and took my food off the clutch, and it only did it one time. Subsequent visits to drive-thrus it didn't stop when i took my foot off the clutch; I guess the battery was low. Since i keep the clutch peddle depressed and the transmission in gear most of the time I'm stopped in traffic, this is not a problem for me (or my wife).

The lack of space to the left of the clutch peddle to rest your left foot is the #1 pet peeve for us. See photo; my foot is up against the kick panel. if they moved the peddles closer together they could have made enough room.

Jeep Gladiator Only three pet peeves about my Gladiator Sport IMG_0117.JPG

I haven't noticed the dirt streak at the window, but the Jeep is Sarge Green, so It's not as noticeable as a white one.

So my list of three pet peeves is -
1. No room to rest left foot. See comment above. I'm starting to get use to this and I drive with the seat back further than i normally would so I have room to rest my foot under the clutch peddle.
2. Ease of raising and lowering top. Her old car was a Beetle Turbo Convertible, all it took to raise or lower the top was to push a button. She has a problem with her left hand and doesn't have the strength to install the rear window pieces or raise and lower the top without help. Hopefully these will loosen up over time or when she eventually has surgery on her hand she can do it herself. The ability to lower the top is one of the main reasons she wanted the Jeep.
3. It won't recognize the CD player I plug into the USB port. I haven't done any research on this so I will probably figure it out eventually.

We haven't had it long enough to find any other peeves.
Sponsored