Ordered Lift...Regret???

rjm727

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
After a ton of studying and reading on different lifts I had decided on the Clayton 3.5 Overland or for my 2021 JT.

I went to jeep beach this past weekend and Clayton was not in attendance. I talked to some very knowledgeable guys from Rebel Off-Road and was convinced to order the Rock Krawler 3 inch lift. Wondering if I did the right thing.

The Clayton has maint free bushings and more height. The Gladiator will see very little off-road use. I’m looking for the best ride I can get with either 37s or 39s.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Last edited:

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hey Ray, sorry we could not make it out this year! We've always had a great time at Jeep Beach! At the moment with how busy we are while simultaneously going through a move, we decided it would be best to prioritize getting orders and kits built and out the door rather than get a week behind schedule. Hopefully we'll be able to see you guys there next year! We're always available by phone, email, or even right here on the forums if you ever have any questions or need help with any of our products!

OP
OP

rjm727

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
can you PM me please?

Hey Ray, sorry we could not make it out this year! We've always had a great time at Jeep Beach! At the moment with how busy we are while simultaneously going through a move, we decided it would be best to prioritize getting orders and kits built and out the door rather than get a week behind schedule. Hopefully we'll be able to see you guys there next year! We're always available by phone, email, or even right here on the forums if you ever have any questions or need help with any of our products!

Sponsored

OP
OP

rjm727

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick follow up...nothing but great things to say about both Rebel Off Road (Stephen) and Clayton (James). Both responded very quickly and were most accommodating. Rebel also works with Clayton and had no problem switching my order.

I know both are great lifts. I think it comes down to what your use will be and personal preference. I feel better switching back to what I had originally decided on and I also feel great about working with these two companies. Highly recommend both for their customer service!

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Of course Rebel is going to push the RK kit because that's probably what they sell the most. IMO never get advice from a shop on what lift to buy if they're not an equal partner of all companies you're considering. Best sources tend to be third parties who do a lot of work in the segment.

Any of the quality lifts (Clayton, RK, Metalcloak, etc.) will give you similar ride quality from that standpoint but what's going to define 80% of your ride quality is the shocks. Best way to address that is to have someone custom valve some Fox 2.0s (since you're all street) and you'll be much happier with the ride quality.

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clayton 3.5 inch overland rides great. I daily drive with it. Shock choice makes a difference for some. Lots of great kits, comes down to minor differences in philosophy and spring rate.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Clayton is the tits. I’ve got the 2.5” that yielded 4”. The owner of the shop I use has the 3.5” that’s closer to 6”. It’s a beast. Hope he doesn’t mind me posting a pic of his JT. And yes, those are 40’s. Rubi axles coming out soon to be replaced with Dyna 60’s.

Jeep Gladiator Ordered Lift...Regret??? 811B0199-365D-4B96-91A1-AAACBF089770

OP
OP

rjm727

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clayton is the tits. I’ve got the 2.5” that yielded 4”. The owner of the shop I use has the 3.5” that’s closer to 6”. It’s a beast. Hope he doesn’t mind me posting a pic of his JT. And yes, those are 40’s. Rubi axles coming out soon to be replaced with Dyna 60’s.

Jeep Gladiator Ordered Lift...Regret??? 811B0199-365D-4B96-91A1-AAACBF089770
Beautiful!! Thank you

Sponsored

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
The RK is great, but from my research is the more rock crawly centered of the two, especially with the Pro-X kit. You’ll get less sag when towing/loading the bed with the Clayton. Also, Accutune was great to work with for custom valved shocks :)

I have the RK kit and don’t regret it. But my advice comes from researching pretty hard before buying :)

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I have the RK pro-x kit and i regret not going MC. The rear is squeaking like all hell. Loudest lift I have ever heard with less than a year on it. Not to mention the rust that has already happened with a no snow winter. Shit my 6 year old MC lift looks and sounds better on my JK i beat the piss out of.

You are fine with Clayton.

TxSmitty

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of good info/opinions on this thread. I am looking at Clayton or Evo now. After reading these types of threads I am seeing a definite pattern in customer satisfaction. Removing RK from my list.

I've talked with Adam at Clayton a couple of times. Probably just going Overland+ with my EVO track bars. Stuck on trying to decide on shocks.

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
I have the RK pro-x kit and i regret not going MC. The rear is squeaking like all hell. Loudest lift I have ever heard with less than a year on it. Not to mention the rust that has already happened with a no snow winter. Shit my 6 year old MC lift looks and sounds better on my JK i beat the piss out of.

You are fine with Clayton.
If its noisy you should totally try greasing the joints btw. Takes about 30 minutes after you've done it the first time. I've been doing it every 2-6 months depending on how much I've been on the trails. My truck isn't quiet like my husbands Volvo, but there isn't any squeaking or other weird noises from the suspension.

That is something the OP should think about though. When you are buying a lift, if you are getting a daily driver lift, you definitely don't want a targeted off-road lift and the extra maintenance associated with it :)
Sponsored