Overall who's pretty pleased with the power output of their Gladiator

Capt. B

First Name
Captain B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator, 2002 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Gobi Edition
Suitable until you have a load (rooftop tent) or similar item then not so much.
Sponsored

AJ-MJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
Originally, I had some concerns with the V6 because I have had 3 Hemi Grand Cherokees. BUT... after driving it for almost a year I am happy with the performance. Don't get me wrong, I'd love more HP/torque. If I need to accelerate in a hurry I can. (passing a car in a short passing zone or entering an interstate highway) Therefore, it meets my needs but more HP is better.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Who doesn't want more power. The American way. Give me a naturally aspirated V8 and I'd be giddy.
I've come from a midsize SUV with a V8 as well, meh, I don't miss it too much. If anything, all it ever did was guzzle too much gas for my liking. Only had a 4 speed transmission too. I'm much more comfortable getting 19/20 mpg rather than 12.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty happy with it and the 6speed manual. Borla Climber S exhaust gives the V6 a bit more sounds and some seat of the pants improvement and better hill gear holding.

arosen1997

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LAV Turret Technician
I was using mine to drag a couple of old SUVs through about 6“ of mud as obstacles for a competition range. It felt plenty good for that even with my 35s and 3.73s in 4 HI. One of the old SUVs had seized brakes on one axle as well.
Overall driving I had daily drove a Fiesta for the last 5 years and before that was driving my dad's 97 F250 for most of high school and compared to those two the JT feels way snappier and has a ton more pep in its step.

Tldr: I'm satisfied.

Sponsored

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Would I like a Hemi? Sure! But overall I'm satisfied with it. The 8 speed and the taller gears then the JK generation really seem to have helped.

MikeInMo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 05 LJ Rubi
I told him Max tow, gear ratio ECT, mentioned night and day compared to my 2010 JKU on 35's.
This is not a fair comparison. :LOL:
Before I bought my 2013 JKU, I test drove a 2010. The 3.8L geared 3.21 was an unbelievable dog. The 3.6L geared 3.73 (Sahara) was like a race car by comparison on stock 32s.

I say that as someone now daily driving an 05 LJR with 4.0L, auto, 4.10 on 31s, so power isn't everything. ;)

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
This is not a fair comparison. :LOL:
Before I bought my 2013 JKU, I test drove a 2010. The 3.8L geared 3.21 was an unbelievable dog. The 3.6L geared 3.73 (Sahara) was like a race car by comparison on stock 32s.

I say that as someone now daily driving an 05 LJR with 4.0L, auto, 4.10 on 31s, so power isn't everything. ;)
For sure not a fair comparison at all. My 2010 had 3.73 gears, it was a mountain edition which came with the 3.73 gears, but still not a fair comparison even with 3.73 gears, 3.8 is still a dog on 35's. Your right though, power isn't everything, I daily drove that 2010 Jku for 7 yrs and 6 of them on 35's so when I got 35's on the JT and saw no noticable power loss I was all smiles.:like:

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
I mean knowing it's a midsized truck, knowing since it's a jeep I was going to have to pay a premium for it, overall I've had very little to complain about on mine. Going into the purchase and using my other Jeep wranglers and Jeep's I've owned as a bases, I got to say this thing really performs and does everything I need it to do for me. I'm glad I got the Max tow because I feel like that's something that I will definitely take advantage of. Overall this to me is a solid truck and it's a Jeep so to me win win, I'm Happy!:rock:
I think it is quite peppy. No complaints. But over the years I've had some weak vehicles. My first truck only had 75 hp.

Sponsored

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
As @Phljeeper mentioned, it’s the 8-speed transmission that really sets this truck’s drivetrain apart. The ZF is one of the best automatics ever designed. It really brings any engine to life no matter to output. Shifts quickly and smoothly, always in the right gear, gets out of the way and provides optimal torque for the situation.

In the BMWs, it’s so good that the more racy dual-clutch transmissions in the M cars are being phased out.

In the FCA cars, it makes the Pentastar look like a rock star. Sure, the JT is not “fast” by any means, but I’m never wanting for more and it makes the 5000lb truck effortless to drive.

(Disclaimer: I have not towed yet)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
For a V6, it’s not bad...It’s very peppy on the low-RPM range, but is a gutless wonder in the mid and top-end ranges.

I still maintain that it should have had a V8 option for the Max Tow and Rubicon models...5.7 Hemi, at the minimum.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
For a V6, it’s not bad...It’s very peppy on the low-RPM range, but is a gutless wonder in the mid and top-end ranges.

I still maintain that it should have had a V8 option for the Max Tow and Rubicon models...5.7 Hemi, at the minimum.
I can agree with this. After having the 5.7 liter hemi in the jeep commander, I do miss that pulling power. If they offered a Hemi option they wouldn't be able to keep them on the lot. I still think for a Midsized truck it's got enough in the Max Tow and Rubicon.

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland

I traded in a Dodge Ram 1500 hemi 5.7 for the gladiator. I do miss the sound and pulling power. The gladiator is soooo much more fun to drive though.