Sponsored

Ox Lockers

rmtn03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
they said you can reference the install guide, and yes you can use the factory aux switch but you need this: https://ox-usa.com/product/oxa1002/

Just ordered mine. Also a quick note, with air you do not need the cables, they supply all of the cables. I put my order in and 10 minutes later the team at ox called me to fix and refund the cables. My experience with them so far has been stellar.
Sponsored

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT-Sport S, 2021 JT-Sport S
You can actually buy the same Mac valve solenoid on Amazon for cheaper. It is just a 2 envelope solenoid, spring return and dumps the air to atmosphere when the coil is off.

jtforrester

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I ordered my Ox lockers yesterday (actually the shop I use ordered them for me). After they were ordered I started wondering about using the factory aux switches to engage / disengage the electric shifters. I assumed it could be done, but after watching the Ox electric shifter install video on youtube I wasn't sure. I just looked at the electric shifter installation manual (https://ox-usa.com/electric-shift-manual/) and see that the aux switches can be used, but a relay will be required to connect the green wire to ground to engage the lockers, and to disconnect the green wire from ground to disengage the lockers.

()

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered my Ox lockers yesterday (actually the shop I use ordered them for me). After they were ordered I started wondering about using the factory aux switches to engage / disengage the electric shifters. I assumed it could be done, but after watching the Ox electric shifter install video on youtube I wasn't sure. I just looked at the electric shifter installation manual (https://ox-usa.com/electric-shift-manual/) and see that the aux switches can be used, but a relay will be required to connect the green wire to ground to engage the lockers, and to disconnect the green wire from ground to disengage the lockers.

()
I saved this a while back that shows how to wire it to an spod.

D66DE8A2-04AC-4DF3-A499-5A1FA744F898.png

Tango270

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Computer Systems Technician

()
What shop are you using for your lockers?

I live roughly an hour from KC, and the closest reputable shop I could find(through Google, anyway) for gears and lockers is in Columbia.

Sponsored

jtforrester

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
What shop are you using for your lockers?

I live roughly an hour from KC, and the closest reputable shop I could find(through Google, anyway) for gears and lockers is in Columbia.
I am using Stomper Off-Road in Olathe. They installed my lift and did a great job. I've stopped in many times to discuss other mods with Jay, the owner, and he has always been very helpful and has taken the time to talk through options and pros and cons of each. You can check their google reviews and see lots of positive comments. I highly recommend them if they are an option for you.

Tango270

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Computer Systems Technician
I am using Stomper Off-Road in Olathe. They installed my lift and did a great job. I've stopped in many times to discuss other mods with Jay, the owner, and he has always been very helpful and has taken the time to talk through options and pros and cons of each. You can check their google reviews and see lots of positive comments. I highly recommend them if they are an option for you.
Awesome, thanks! Olathe is a bit closer to me than Columbia, so I'll definitely check them out. I'm planning on lockers as well, though I'm still torn between Ox and ARB. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turn out!

jtforrester

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Awesome, thanks! Olathe is a bit closer to me than Columbia, so I'll definitely check them out. I'm planning on lockers as well, though I'm still torn between Ox and ARB. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turn out!
I was torn between Ox and ARB, too. I decided to go with Ox to avoid potential issues with air leaks associated with air lockers (air lines, o-rings), and to avoid having to find a place for the compressor. And I like that with Ox you have the ability to install the drive away lock in the event of a failure.

Both the lockers and gears (I am going to Yukon 4.88) are on back order so I do not yet know when I will get them installed.

OP
OP
FLUndertaker

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
I was torn between Ox and ARB, too. I decided to go with Ox to avoid potential issues with air leaks associated with air lockers (air lines, o-rings), and to avoid having to find a place for the compressor. And I like that with Ox you have the ability to install the drive away lock in the event of a failure.

Both the lockers and gears (I am going to Yukon 4.88) are on back order so I do not yet know when I will get them installed.
What type actuator are you planning to run with the Ox? I was sold on them until my shop tried to figure out a way to run the cable actuators into the cab. I’ll save you the trouble,,,, they’re isn’t any. I would have had to run the ox either air or electric actuators but at that point all the advantages of the ox are out the window and you might as well run an ARB or some flavor of E locker. Really pissed me off. I hope as sales of the JT grow and there’s more of them on the trails Eaton will manufacture a true Detroit locker for the 210 and 220.

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What type actuator are you planning to run with the Ox? I was sold on them until my shop tried to figure out a way to run the cable actuators into the cab. I’ll save you the trouble,,,, they’re isn’t any. I would have had to run the ox either air or electric actuators but at that point all the advantages of the ox are out the window and you might as well run an ARB or some flavor of E locker. Really pissed me off. I hope as sales of the JT grow and there’s more of them on the trails Eaton will manufacture a true Detroit locker for the 210 and 220.
Well you could run cables into the cab but you would probably have to modify the floor or you could run them to somewhere less convenient like the bed, but that would kind of suck. The advantage OX has over ARB is not having to remove the locker to repair an air leak. Also being able to pin the lockers in case of failure.

Sponsored

jtforrester

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I plan on running the electric actuators. IMO that is still an advantage for Ox since it removes the compressor, air lines, and the o-ring seal inside the diff and the potential failure points associated with each of them (admittedly I do not know of a single ARB compressor failure, but is has probably happened). I think the electronic actuator is less likely to fail (reduce failure points, simple electrical actuator) than having an air leak on an air locker system. And I believe the Drive Away Lock is an advantage for OX.

I know there are many people that have ran air lockers for years without failures, but there are also people that have had air line and o-ring failures. Hopefully I am right that the electronic actuator will be more reliable than air lines and o-rings. Time will tell I guess.

I do wish we had an aftermarket e-locker option, although this video shows one disadvantage of them.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
I read and heard the debate over air, E and cable actuated lockers and I guess I’m not seeing what the big deal is. If any one of those fail, does that mean you loose all diff function or just the extra axle front and back. In my option, this shouldn’t really be a problem unless you are so deep in the woods or on the rocks that your only way to get out is with 4 turning wheels? If so, that’s pretty core.

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I read and heard the debate over air, E and cable actuated lockers and I guess I’m not seeing what the big deal is. If any one of those fail, does that mean you loose all diff function or just the extra axle front and back. In my option, this shouldn’t really be a problem unless you are so deep in the woods or on the rocks that your only way to get out is with 4 turning wheels? If so, that’s pretty core.
You do not loose all functionality. The OX lockers are able to be locked in place by installing a pin Incase of actuator failure.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
You do not loose all functionality. The OX lockers are able to be locked in place by installing a pin Incase of actuator failure.
That’s my point. Most of us will never be stranded because the locker has failed.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I debated the same, but it was before the Ox Product was out. In the end I decided ARB's were going to be it so I went ahead with the install last fall. There may be another point of failure with the ARB's vs Ox, but the 35 spline shaft options with the ARB's was enough to sway me over (Dutchman 35 spline rear & RCV 35 spline in the front if you want). I am going to replace the ARB plastic air lines with the stainless braided just for the extra resistance to abrasion.

I also already had an ARB single installed under the hood & when I installed it I wired it into the factory aux switch's so when I had the lockers installed the shop only had to hook the leads up to the actuators & no other wiring needed. To engage I just reach down & press switch 1 to turn on the compressor & then 3 for the front locker & 4 for the rear locker.
Sponsored