Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just from the looks of it, I have a hard time believingit will produce 500hp consistently . I wonder what the intercooler will look like.
I think you are looking at it. That looks like an air to water intercooler on the side.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buying any 1.0v of an engine, let alone Mopar is like the video where Donut Media bought safety equipment from Wish.com.
Yes, because the 4xe launch has gone so smoothly. ha. Brilliant overall design.

Poorly executed and supported. If Jeep was made by Toyota, who has been making hybrids for 25 years, then 4xe would be a no-brainer. If the Hurricane was made by Audi, who has been making highly boosted V6s for 15 years, then it would also be a no-brainer.
(Audi's supercharged V6 is considered to be pretty bulletproof and able to run to very high miles)

But another v1.0 powertrain engineered by Fiat. No thanks.

You know that old joke.

In heaven, the Italians are the lovers and the germans are the mechanics.
In hell, the germans are the lovers and the Italians are the mechanics.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
Hell I'd even opt for the 4cylinder turbo if that was available. Perhaps it will be in a few years time. It's bogus the wrangle has like 6 engine options and we get two, one being 6 grand more than the 2nd.

Sponsored

John_81583

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Accountant
When is this gonna make its way into the Gladiator?

TwelveSoldier

First Name
J T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator and Wrangler
I doubt we will see this in a Gladiator until enough make into the RAM's and the Wrangler... followed by Gladiator receive their refresh. I'm guessing 2026 or 2027 or not at all if the electrification is our only options. It's all speculative.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I only see one cold side pipe coming out of the intercooler so it appears the two turbos both pressurize the plenum that sits below the hot pipes side of the IC effectively both just working together to realize a load or boost target.
It looks similar in concept to the 3.0tdi’s both turbos are spooling, however, a change over occurs once efficiency is lost on the low side turbo, the top end turbo takes over.

if this is the case- tuning is a B****….. even aftermarket bigger turbos, are not likely to add much (not that more is needed….)

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
It looks similar in concept to the 3.0tdi’s both turbos are spooling, however, a change over occurs once efficiency is lost on the low side turbo, the top end turbo takes over.

if this is the case- tuning is a B****….. even aftermarket bigger turbos, are not likely to add much (not that more is needed….)
They look to be the same size with 3 cylinders dumping into each one. They are likely small turbos that are always spooled not sequential.

Sponsored

Pwntiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
Occupation
software developer
They’re already making preproduction samples indicates mass production is probably not far behind

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
I'm actually excited about this engine. Most of the nay saying in this thread seem to be with ppl with no turbo experience. For example: turbo heat sink? These turbos are practically outside the engine bay compared to most modern systems (look where the BMW v8 turbo(s) were/are, or any of the DSMs)
I'm a formerly diamond star motor tuner, bmw turbo engine guy and general turbo fan who actually studied them in college (but who still thinks the NA 4.0L I 6 in my '04 Rubi is the best engine ever). I think this engine will make a lot of sense for most Jeeps and most users.

One thing I didn't see mentioned: I'll bet this engine will be smooth as silk and pull low and evenly along the rpm range. My current JT v6 rattles around in there like a ball bearing in a can of paint, particularly at idle. I think this will bring a lot of refinement to the table.

Reliability?? Just as much as any Stellantis product, lol.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I'm actually excited about this engine. Most of the nay saying in this thread seem to be with ppl with no turbo experience. For example: turbo heat sink? These turbos are practically outside the engine bay compared to most modern systems (look where the BMW v8 turbo(s) were/are, or any of the DSMs)
I'm a formerly diamond star motor tuner, bmw turbo engine guy and general turbo fan who actually studied them in college (but who still thinks the NA 4.0L I 6 in my '04 Rubi is the best engine ever). I think this engine will make a lot of sense for most Jeeps and most users.

One thing I didn't see mentioned: I'll bet this engine will be smooth as silk and pull low and evenly along the rpm range. My current JT v6 rattles around in there like a ball bearing in a can of paint, particularly at idle. I think this will bring a lot of refinement to the table.

Reliability?? Just as much as any Stellantis product, lol.

Your 3.6L probably has the lifter issue that they all are having. My 2020 had that issues and multiple cyl misfire. I got into the ecodiesel and noticed the idle was 3x smoother. You probably wanna get your 3.6 looked at. They dont normally idle like they have a hog ass cam :)

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
I don't know, it seems like a cool engine, but I feel like part of that is the nostalgia factor for the old 4.0 straight six. I bet this would go great in a grand Cherokee but not so much in the wrangler / gladiator.

Perhaps I'm anachronistic but when a facet of the appeal of both vehicles is in the clunky ancient design elements, a high output twin turbo doesn't fit with the picture. Exposed door hinges, removable roof, solid axles, folding windshield, mechanical transfer case lever etcetera - these are features you would find on a car half a century ago. I like the fact that even the revived gladiator is somewhat of a dinosaur and for me, a mildly powered natural aspirated engine is parcel to that.

The 3.6 is a ho-hum motor but in all respects, it is very well suited for its purpose. The highest tow rating in the gladiator comes with the pentastar so it is capable there. For trail riding and the extent of rock crawling that 99.78% of owners will undertake the old v6 has the gearing to get er' done. I think it is actually quite elegant that if you asked an engineer to design an engine perfectly suitable for our vehicles and nothing more you would end up with something quite close to the 3.6.

Because it is possible to throw money at anything to make it superlative, there is something to be said for the appeal of minimum viable product. It speaks to balance and conscientiousness, and also being a dork.