Sponsored

Please teach me about jscan

gt3mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Wow, there's a lot you CAN'T do with the iCar Pro - many of the areas I'd want to access to check out you can't even see with it. Should have ordered the OBDLink MX+ but for 70 bucks difference, wasn't sure it would be worth that much. Obviously it is.
Too bad there wasn't a list showing what you can NOT get to without the MX+
Looks like I wasted some bucks - plus the license for jscan is not 19, it's 22+

So for maximum use,
you have the cable for 35, plus 23 bucks for a license plus 100 for the OBDLink MX+ device.
To "get by",
it would be 35 for the cable, 23 for the license, 30 for the iCar Pro
Wow - that's frustrating! As I recall, I bought that one because it seemed like the preferred adapter. I had no idea it would be feature-limited.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'll try to get screen shots tomorrow of the limited areas - I should have taken notes!
It's not critical - I got it mainly in case of tire size changes, for adding proximity lock system and that sort of thing. I was just really hoping it could access all areas, and it cannot.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
Then why the heck am I getting charged 22.99 PLUS TAX???

I'd LOVE to hear their explanation on that.

I'm paying 4 bucks more than the example above! 18.99 to 22.99 is a $4 difference.

I was going to get a license for my wife's new GC but I think I'll go a different direction instead. I don't think there will ever be anything to change, just to read so I won't need much for features just to read things.

There were some things the iCar adapter won't read - will get some shots of those later.

jscan.jpg
As @JeepTrucker said, your screen shots look like Android and they have some control of in-app purchases.

Gregj

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As @JeepTrucker said, your screen shots look like Android and they have some control of in-app purchases.

Gregj
That figures....... good ol' Google at it again. Too bad there wasn't another way to do it, or if there was, I missed it, but the instructions I read state to do it in app.

jeep671

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon and 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon COD MW3
That figures....... good ol' Google at it again. Too bad there wasn't another way to do it, or if there was, I missed it, but the instructions I read state to do it in app.
I have not purchased my Jscan license yet, due to my lift kit shipment being very DELAYED. Reading this thread, I decided to see the cost for the in-app purchase, it is $22.99! I am using Android as well. Wow ... the licenses are cheaper on iOS? Why is one cheaper than the other? From what I understand about these app ecosystems, they all start out at 30% commission rates. Hmmm....

Screenshot_20201001-132509_OBD JScan.jpg

Sponsored

Jpeazy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport 4x4 w/ Max Tow
Occupation
USN
Are you required to keep cable attached after changing settings in JSCAN app?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Are you required to keep cable attached after changing settings in JSCAN app?
No and it's best you don't as that is a security bypass cable. The changes are saved in the Jeep system.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I connected again and here are the modules that the iCar device cannot deal with according to jscan -

Warning
This module is not available with
this adapter, OBD Link MX+ required
OK

And I get that with these-
Module: Radio
Left blind spot sensor
Right blind spot sensor

I did not try every module in jscan, but it gave that error for AT LEAST these three, seems there was another I can't recall.
Not a big deal and the chances of my wanting to check into those are slim - but if, for example, I remove and reinstall the doors and then get any error - it would be nice to see if I could look into it deeper without taking the connection loose again, and if the connections are fine, see what's up.
I have the iCar adapter - but it makes sense that a cheap $30 unit can't do the same as a $100 device can and jscan does actually say "recommended for......" and lists the Wrangler and JT.
I looked at the TOP of his list and say the iCar device, saw it was highly recommended and that some others here had it and never scrolled to the bottom of the list after seeing the highly recommended graphic he had with the iCar device.
So - if 100% compete is important, get the OBDLink MX+ for 70 bucks mover.
If you only want to access things to tweak or change, tire size, passive entry, some other settings, the iCar device should work fine for that stuff. (I hope)

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing - Planning & Research
Hey Jscandanavians,

I am wondering if it is possible to use Jscan with Superchips flashcal/ flashpaq?

I have the flashcal for LED lights and tire size change but may need to use Jscan to add keyless proximity entry.

I don’t think abandoningSuperChips is an option as I want to upgrade to flashpaq so I can run OTS performance maps for different fuel octane levels.

thanks for any direction with this!

Sponsored

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
what would the "Radio" portion be able to control that you cant get to with the Vgate adapter?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
what would the "Radio" portion be able to control that you cant get to with the Vgate adapter?
Excellent question. Radio and left and right BSM can't be accessed with it. Not sure what's there because, well, I can't access it!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You can check it out in demo mode...
No, you can't, because the hardware won't access it. I have a LICENSE and when I tried to access radio it says that it's not supported without the MX+ device.
So someone with the $100 hardware will have to see what the other device can't access.
Sponsored