Sponsored

Poor design, rain gutter over front doors.

OP
OP

WendyH

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Purchasing Agent
In my experience (my prior 2020 gladiator) in heavy rain the channels do their job and divert water to the front/back. However when the vehicle is stopped and the front doors are opened, the water naturally falls into the cabin. My new 21 Gladiator has a new plastic/rubber piece on the a-frame pillar that looks like it is designed to divert water away from the cabin that wasn’t on my prior 20 Gladiator.
Exactly! You described it perfectly. It is not just after sitting parked, it happens when driving in the rain and stopping to leave the truck.
Sponsored

OP
OP

WendyH

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Purchasing Agent
I don't understand what's happening exactly... Water is collecting in the gutter somehow, then coming out all at once when you get in or out or... how is water getting on you? Where is it collecting? How is it becoming uncollected?
My understanding is that the extensions that would bring the water further forward to dump it onto the windshield inhibit the removal of the freedom panels. That's just not an option for me.

As stated above, if you can figure out a way to park on even a slightly inclined grade like a driveway, this solves the problem. My driveway is really slanted and I never have the water dump on the seat or inside the cabin, unless I'm at another location where I'm parking on level ground.
It is a terrible issue. Especially in heavier rain. The floorboards and seats get drenched. It's ridiculous.

One where the water is directed somewhere other than the seats and interior? Water drains with tubes down the A and B pillar, a channel that doesn't terminate directly above the point of ingress, there are several ways they could improve that design.

That's what I do. A shame we need to, but it does help.
great solution but some live in the flat lands.. little league is going to be upset for parking on the pitching mound
Yes, there are no inclines to park on where I live! Hoping they come up with a fix
Where did you get yours for 40k?!?!
In all seriousness I don't have this issue.
Where did you get yours for 40k?!?!
In all seriousness I don't have this issue.
Actually it was 46K, bought May of 2019, 1st Gladiator on the lot at the dealer, SC. It was a huge price increase for me, the last vehicle purchase for me was in 2003, Jeep Wrangler!

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
I dunno, every Jeep I've ever owned was pretty much like that. The JK my wife drives is like that.

My Ram is actually worse, since there are no gutters at all, and the door curves in at the top. You can't even crack the windows open in a light rain on that without aftermarket window visors, or all the water drips right onto the power window/locks/mirrors switches.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I find it amazing that every brand has design quirks that spool up large public complaints, could be easily resolved, but yet they never fix?

Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Hmmm. So we can walk to and from the vehicle in a rainstorm and not get wet? Makes me wonder how Humanity ever got down from the trees, survived the plagues, or explored any where without air conditioning, running water and McDonalds. Shrug.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
I find it amazing that every brand has design quirks that spool up large public complaints, could be easily resolved, but yet they never fix?
Yeah, all Jeep has to do is make it stop raining whenever you open the door. Dunno why they refuse to do it!

JT Thomas

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 09 Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
U.S. Army (Retired)
I don’t worry about this stuff. Why is this a problem? I’m not being a jerk. I truly don’t understand.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I don’t worry about this stuff. Why is this a problem? I’m not being a jerk. I truly don’t understand.
You're not being a jerk, that's a good question. I have 207.7 rainfall days a year @ 106.7 inches rain per year. That's at my actual location in the Beautiful Pacific North West.
I took the liberty of looking at your profile. Arlington VA 117 rainfall days @ 43 inches of rain per year. You're right it's not really a problem, it's more of a minor annoyance for 207.7 days a year. I can live with it no prob, but maybe there's a simple fix and I don't have to live with it 207.7 days a year. I'd do it.

Last edited:

JT Thomas

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 09 Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
U.S. Army (Retired)
You're not being a jerk, that's a good question. I have 207.7 rainfall days a year @ 106.7 inches rain per year. That's at my actual location in the Beautiful Pacific North West.
I took the liberty of looking at your profile. Arlington VA 117 rainfall days @ 43 inches of rain per year. You're right it's not really a problem, it's more of a minor annoyance for 207.7 days a year. I can live with it no prob, but maybe there's a simple fix and I don't have to live with it 207.7 days a year. I'd do it.
That is fair and I appreciate the context.

Sponsored

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
[/QUOTE]
You will hate this but it really is a "Jeep thing". My 08 JK does it. The JT does it. It is the design of a square box with removable tops. I live in S Florida so in the summers we get a lot of rain fall. When I lifted the JK, it leveled it up so the water on the top doesn't flow forward as much.

tcass

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
I'm sure other people have experienced this. I have owned Jeep Wranglers for over 20 years and never notice this issue before. With the Gladiator, in a heavy rain, when you open the front door the water literally pours onto the front seat. I see that I can purchase gutter extensions on Amazon, but paying over 40 grand for a vehicle and having to add a fix to it really bugs me!
i think its a Jeep hardtop issue. I've had a TJ, 2 JKs, a JL and a JT, all with hardtops that leak into the jeep when you open the door. aggravating, you bet but its just one of those things.

tcass

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
You will hate this but it really is a "Jeep thing". My 08 JK does it. The JT does it. It is the design of a square box with removable tops. I live in S Florida so in the summers we get a lot of rain fall. When I lifted the JK, it leveled it up so the water on the top doesn't flow forward as much.
[/QUOTE]
agree, with 5 jeeps with hardtops, water always comes in when raining....on the hard tops

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
I just open the door, let the water drip out and down, then get in or out of the Jeep, no issue for me, it is a Jeep after all.
cheers
Sponsored