Sponsored

Real world MPG, what are you getting in your Diesel?

Jfinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Rubicon Diesel here. It was stock through the first 2500 miles other than the front bumper winch and tonneau cover. I was showing about 24-25mpg avg. in that distance I had mostly my suburban 20 mile one way commute with about 19 stop lights and 3 school zones, two fishing trips towing my little skiff which would have been almost 200 miles towing and one 150 mile interstate trip that showed 30 mpg on the trip odometer. First trip towing the boat I reset the odometer and towed 100 miles round trip and was getting about 17 mpg. Last Friday I had 315/70R17 BFG KO2's installed. I only have a couple hundred miles on them but MPG seems to be up in the 25-26 mpg range for my daily commute.
Jeep Gladiator Real world MPG, what are you getting in your Diesel? jee
Sponsored

Abnmarine

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland
Occupation
Retired
We finally took a road trip from Pensacola, Florida to Gatlinburg, TN which was almost 600 miles. Half if it was in a heavy rain and I have 34” Toyo AT3’s. My dash said 28 mpg but it was 25.7 mpg hand calculated. I drove 70 mph for the majority of the trip. I have 4K miles on the ecodiesel.

Last edited:

bentrod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Rubicon Diesel here. It was stock through the first 2500 miles other than the front bumper winch and tonneau cover. I was showing about 24-25mpg avg. in that distance I had mostly my suburban 20 mile one way commute with about 19 stop lights and 3 school zones, two fishing trips towing my little skiff which would have been almost 200 miles towing and one 150 mile interstate trip that showed 30 mpg on the trip odometer. First trip towing the boat I reset the odometer and towed 100 miles round trip and was getting about 17 mpg. Last Friday I had 315/70R17 BFG KO2's installed. I only have a couple hundred miles on them but MPG seems to be up in the 25-26 mpg range for my daily commute.
jeep.jpg
I think your Jeep is awesome. That color combination, Rubicon, and rims choice is a favorite of mine. I'm was going to do the Sport but now have the Rubicon on order - its already "lifted" to me.

JayKrup

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I have 6800 miles and have an of Avg 24.5 mpgs on the stock MTs

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
2020 JLU: 20.5 MPG
2021 JLU: 22 MPG
2021 JT: 22 MPG

Those are the current averages for the EcoDiesel engine as hand calculated by owners across the country. The thing that surprises me is that the same powertrain in the Ram is showing 22 MPG average, which is spot on what the Jeeps are seeing. fuelly.com

A lot of the Rams have 3.92 axle gears, but some have 3.21s. The Rams are about 400 lbs. heavier. But, they are slightly more aerodynamic when you look at coefficient of drag stats.

The Jeep has a smaller profile and employs ESS which the Ram doesn't. The Jeep also uses 3.73 axle gears which is closer to the sweet spot than either of the Ram offerings.

So, I would have expected to see the Jeep EcoDiesels getting better MPG than the Ram. This seems to show that aerodynamics is THE thing that holds the Jeeps back in terms of fuel efficiency. We've joked for decades about Jeeps being shaped like bricks and they're trying to push air, but it seems to be true. That seems to be the one thing preventing awesome efficiency. And now we know why those "closure panels" were installed on the high volume Sport models between the fenders and the bumper.

Last edited:

Sponsored

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel
Occupation
Retired AF
21 mpg mixed, leaning more on city in that mix

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mikeđź–¤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
This diesel is just absolutely killer!! Here is a picture of a trip I just got back from. Starting in San Antonio, over to Lincoln NF in New Mexico, up to Cortez CO, and on to Moab UT. Did some trailing and a little wheeling there for 3 days. Left Moab and went to Crested Butte, Gunnison, up and over Monarch Pass and on to Woodland Park and Colorado Springs. Played around in the mountains for a day and a half near Pikes Peak and Woodland Park, and then back to San Antonio. I was getting incredible MPG (23-24 AVG) until I started back into Texas. It started to get lower and lower as elevation dropped, and my speed went up.

This is driving, remot start idling, and wheeling.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share!

20210324_190852.jpg

Jack sprocket

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I haven't seen a thread on users experience with MPGs on the EcoDiesel, just assumptions before the truck got into peoples hands.

With a quick description of your vehicle (tires, gearing, etc), what MPGs are you achieving with your 3.0 Diesel.

I know a Jeep isn't a Prius, but a good/decent MPG with the added weight and larger tires will have a longer Mileage Range and more fun & less worries.

Jack sprocket

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I just finished my first week of commuting to work in my stock overland. 35 miles in the morning, mostly on highway at 50 to 70 mph. On the home, stop and go, bumper to bumper traffic for 75 percent of the 35 miles. Total miles for the week was 350, mpg back in my driveway on Friday afternoon was 29.2.

Sponsored

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
First Tank-About 400 miles and keeps climbin the longer I drive and is now at 21.8
I have the Mopar 2" lift with 35x12.5/17

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I have 2100 Km’s (1300 mi) and took a 200 mile round trip today along with driving in a major city and got 9.8 liters/100km or 24 mpg. That’s with 305 20’s for wheels and travelling at 110 km/hr or 70 mph.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
i have not taken it easy on the Jeep so far.
incredibly impressed with both the power and the fuel efficiency

F381D1A3-5932-4C1D-9582-1C77956C30BE.jpeg

Granitelvr

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
i have not taken it easy on the Jeep so far.
incredibly impressed with both the power and the fuel efficiency

Jeep Gladiator Real world MPG, what are you getting in your Diesel? F381D1A3-5932-4C1D-9582-1C77956C30BE
How did the trip back go? Congrats on picking up Nacho! Did you try any variables on the highway to see what increased mpg( saw a post about 70 and above being a big drop) . I was wondering what kind of real world tank range you saw( One of the many things I hate about my Tacoma(and hope to love about my new diesel!): I am lucky to go 300 miles a week on a tank all highway).

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
How did the trip back go? Congrats on picking up Nacho! Did you try any variables on the highway to see what increased mpg( saw a post about 70 and above being a big drop) . I was wondering what kind of real world tank range you saw( One of the many things I hate about my Tacoma(and hope to love about my new diesel!): I am lucky to go 300 miles a week on a tank all highway).
the truck has about 860 miles on it with a 1/4 tank showing on tank number two. It’s seen city highway top speed and country roads. At 45mph and flat the real time indicator is pegged at max of 40mpg.

It appears as if 70mph is the point where the mileage is best on the highway and 45 on rural roads. I’ll try some 80mph extended time next week
Sponsored