Recommended Diff Protection?

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Don't really want to replace the covers.

What skids do y'all like? Which to avoid?
Sponsored

Speedy_12139

First Name
Kenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500, 2011 BMW 335i, (Potental) '21 Rubicon
Occupation
Construction & Renovations

21RG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
4Wheeling
The best solution is to not hit obstacles....

I never have replaced any of my diff covers or used skid plates on them.

Sponsored

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
I like Metalcloak for the diff covers and skids. The rear skid is good with any cover. The front skid, you must use a metalcloak cover. here are some pics:

Jeep Gladiator Recommended Diff Protection? 9D9Wbk

Did you have any issues with the track bar?

I had been looking at getting the front and rear set from Metalcloak, but their website says that the front one does not work with the OEM front track bar. That combined with having to replace the cover, drain and fill, etc has me leaning towards the Rancho front diff skid instead.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link

I had been looking at getting the front and rear set from Metalcloak, but their website says that the front one does not work with the OEM front track bar. That combined with having to replace the cover, drain and fill, etc has me leaning towards the Rancho front diff skid instead.
I used just the silicone sealant to mount the MC diff cover. The rubber gasket is too thick with the stock track bar. I never had any problem, but, when I installed my lift kit, I did see a small mark from the track bar on the MC Diff that I had never seen before. It was not enough to take the powder coating off the diff., but, it did make a smudge. I had it on my JTR with the stock suspension for almost a year, so, I was surprised to see that.. Lots of wheeling, but, I guess it did touch at one time...

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
I used just the silicone sealant to mount the MC diff cover. The rubber gasket is too thick with the stock track bar. I never had any problem, but, when I installed my lift kit, I did see a small mark from the track bar on the MC Diff that I had never seen before. It was not enough to take the powder coating off the diff., but, it did make a smudge. I had it on my JTR with the stock suspension for almost a year, so, I was surprised to see that.. Lots of wheeling, but, I guess it did touch at one time...
Ride on, appreciate you getting back to me. I do have a lift on my JT already, since you installed the lift does it clear it now? Might be a non-issue for me.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
The best solution is to not hit obstacles....

I never have replaced any of my diff covers or used skid plates on them.
And In other news, it's better for your paint to avoid accidents, it's better for your tires to not drive over nails, it's better for your engine if you don't ingest water into the air intake, and it's way better for your soft top if you stay away from low flying traffic copters.

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
MC put RTV in the box with the front diff cover, I was pleasantly surprised instead of irritated I'd already bought a new tube of Permatex.

Loosescrews

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
HR
Prismatic Brentwood Orange, the closest match to the Mojave orange I could find. If they came from the factory black rather than red, I would not worry with it.
Yea due to the Mojave accents being orange you almost have to paint them. I have sting grey so the red will be fine.

21RG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
4Wheeling
And In other news, it's better for your paint to avoid accidents, it's better for your tires to not drive over nails, it's better for your engine if you don't ingest water into the air intake, and it's way better for your soft top if you stay away from low flying traffic copters.
And back to the regular programing... Because I don't regularly find a bed of nails to drive over or splash through water to cause ingestation of fluids... Common sense goes a long way, or at least further than driving over nails.

Tire placement and technical driving will prevent the majority of the bumps and scrapes. But again, if you like to bash your $40K+ vehicle into rocks, go ahead. I don't do that with any of my vehicles and I do off-road them on a regular basis.

Add more weight with thicker diff covers and all the other gucci protection....
Reduce ground clearance when adding gucci "skip plates" to the diff.....

But maybe you'll just add stiffer springs and put bigger tires on.

So if you want to purchase a skid plate to skid along rocks, I'll gladly build you a set. Let me know what you want and I will provide a cost and date for them to ship. I could use the extra cash to purchase a cnc brake and make all kinds of stuff for those that need protection due to bad driving habits or the cool factor.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
And back to the regular programing... Because I don't regularly find a bed of nails to drive over or splash through water to cause ingestation of fluids... Common sense goes a long way, or at least further than driving over nails.

Tire placement and technical driving will prevent the majority of the bumps and scrapes. But again, if you like to bash your $40K+ vehicle into rocks, go ahead. I don't do that with any of my vehicles and I do off-road them on a regular basis.

Add more weight with thicker diff covers and all the other gucci protection....
Reduce ground clearance when adding gucci "skip plates" to the diff.....

But maybe you'll just add stiffer springs and put bigger tires on.

So if you want to purchase a skid plate to skid along rocks, I'll gladly build you a set. Let me know what you want and I will provide a cost and date for them to ship. I could use the extra cash to purchase a cnc brake and make all kinds of stuff for those that need protection due to bad driving habits or the cool factor.
The OP asked a simple question and your replies were both snarky and unhelpful.

Your obviously a skilled driver and expert in wheel placement/technical driving to a degree that renders you immune to rocks and/or occasional mistakes suffered by us mere mortals with a deep need to look "cool".

But for the rest of us neophytes who have full time jobs that do not allow us to hone our driving skills to such an Olympian level, things like skid plates might just be useful to help protect our $40,000+ vehicles that we can afford due to said day job.

As far as selling him a set? I'd have to guess that he's probably not interested since you've done nothing but insinuate that he is a bad driver with vanity issues.
Sponsored