Sponsored

Regear for towing

Panther69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingray Gladiator Mojave
Contacted a shop about regearing my 21 Mojave that has BFG KM3 315/70/17 and pulling a camper with GVWR of 4995lbs. This was the response I got:

“You might not like my response to this as I have seen so many gear and bearing failures with towing on the gladiator, with that said on that tire size a 4.56 would help a lot on overall get up and go getting down the highway and getting up to speed, these d44 or m220 axles in my opinion are not meant to tow more than about 2500 pounds. I don’t think you will have issues with this size tire but going up in tire size I wouldn’t recommend towing that much. “

Is this really a common issue? Searched the forum and most people are towing way more than 2500lbs with no issues.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is he's trying to sway you. There's many dozens of people towing some crazy loads with these trucks. Some are not even max tow. It's common to see people hauling campers/travel trailers 4,000+ pounds. There's been some talking of towing 6,000 pound trailers.
2500 pounds? That's a hoot. These are heavier than prior generations of these differential assemblies.
Odd that no one here has talked about gear and bearing failures while towing their BOAT.

What I find funny - the Grand Cherokee is rated for 6200 pounds towing and yet he's saying TRUCKS can't tow over 2500 pounds without breaking things?

Further - how would regearing help them tow more and better? You still have the same stresses on the bearings that he claims fail. Your axle shafts - thus the CARRIER with the ring gear on it, would still be spinning as fast, the pinion would be spinning faster (and be smaller)

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Contacted a shop about regearing my 21 Mojave that has BFG KM3 315/70/17 and pulling a camper with GVWR of 4995lbs. This was the response I got:

“You might not like my response to this as I have seen so many gear and bearing failures with towing on the gladiator, with that said on that tire size a 4.56 would help a lot on overall get up and go getting down the highway and getting up to speed, these d44 or m220 axles in my opinion are not meant to tow more than about 2500 pounds. I don’t think you will have issues with this size tire but going up in tire size I wouldn’t recommend towing that much. “

Is this really a common issue? Searched the forum and most people are towing way more than 2500lbs with no issues.
Yeah, I don't think he's working with a full toolbox. I'd say we've all seen stuff on the road that is shocking. I've seen Highlanders and Rav4s tow big trailers. I saw a 30'-ish trailer being towed by a Tourag. I've seen "fragile" Audi and BMWs tow. And I've seen an Armada that couldn't get out of it's own way with a X15. It eventually (months of ownership) blew up.

If there were towing issues with the JT, we'd know about it. Like the cooling problems.

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
News to me coming from the Chrysler world and friends still working in corporate/dealerships/shops.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I actually just went back to stock size tires to regain a bit of MPG and pulling power while towing, partially to avoid the whole re gearing thing.

Im still in the erarly stages but im annoyed at how much better the truck performs with daily driving back on the stock tires. I sorta wanted them to suck as bad as my 285/75/17s.

If your willing to wait a bit you can see the results of my "experiment" and maybe end up back towards a more stock size, which could help alleviate the need for regarding for towing.

Last edited:

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Im still in the erarly stages but im annoyed at how much better the truck performs with daily driving back on the stock tires. I sorta wanted them to suck as bad as my 285/75/17s.
I hear you! I got rid of the faulken wildpeaks that came with the launch edition takeoff wheels I bought and got more "streetable" tires (yokohama g015) and even though they are the same 285/70/17 they are slightly smaller in every dimension and 20lbs lighter each. Sooooo much better on the road and towing.

I'll let you all know when I have bearing failures from towing my TJ around...

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I hear you! I got rid of the faulken wildpeaks that came with the launch edition takeoff wheels I bought and got more "streetable" tires (yokohama g015) and even though they are the same 285/70/17 they are slightly smaller in every dimension and 20lbs lighter each. Sooooo much better on the road and towing.

I'll let you all know when I have bearing failures from towing my TJ around...
I really liked my G015s, but noticed they werent the best in packed snow. So I went with the continental terrain contact ATs this time. Also went with 255/75/17 and im trying to convince my self they wont look like pizza cutters.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
IMOP you can run up to a 5:13 in these d44’s. I’ve run 5:13’s in stock d44 wagoner with no issues other than the front axles stick u-joints.

35” tires and 4:56 for towing purposes should be great. My 33’s and 4:10’s are
Perfect. If you can upgrade axles to chromoly and better after market carrier bearings. But quality ring and pinion gears. If you rock crawl the rig then a truss it OR, might just spend the money and upgrade axles to 60’s.
Sponsored