First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado 1500 Custom/Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Occupation
Retired for now!
Retired, on a fixed income, so I enjoy good gas mileage and trying to save money. Have a 2023 Black Sport S with upgraded tires. Have Falken Wildpeak AT3W's that are very close to stock size at 265/70-17. I get driving easy on the road around 50 to 55 MPH about 22 to 24 MPG. Tire pressure set at 38 PSI cold. In town and mixed driving, I get about 20 MPG. Not too bad for a brick with wheels!
I would love to get a spacer lift or even the Mopar lift and put on bigger tires, maybe 35" tires on my Gladiator. However, I have talked to others with the bigger tires and lifts and have been told that 13 to 15 MPG is about it. Plus, I would probably have to regear as well. I really do not do any serious trails and do not want tree limb pinstripes!
So, what are the rest of you guys (and gals) doing? And for those with lifts / bigger tires, what is your average gas mileage? Would you do it again if you could do the lift / big tires install? What about ride quality? And how does it steer after the lift / bigger tires?
Thanks in advance for your replies!
Sponsored

redfish

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT
Occupation
Strategic Account Executive
I go through this same mental exercise once a qrt. Not retired yet but have a sport with auto and rear limited slip as only upgrades, I do not even plug in my doors any more.

I put rubi shocks on it and front rubi springs with .75 spacer and run 285 70 17 General ATX on Method wheels. I price it out all the time to regear , 2-2.5 lift and 35-37 tires and I know it is really only for vanity /cosmetic reasons. So I added Armorlite flooring, a 7 inch radio, a stubby front bumper with some KC lights all instead of the regear and lift and to scratch that itch.

Got the itch again so added Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer and relocation bracket and just ordered MC rear sway bar link bracket. So I still get to turn a wrench and got 20 mpg on way home from Jeep beach;)

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Any time you go up in tire size you will compromise mpg, but if you want a better look I would do like @redfish. Maybe put a level kit on the front and find some Rubicon or Mojave take off wheels and tires online. If youā€™re near a big city I bet youā€™ll find some. Save some money on tires/wheels and the mpg hit wonā€™t be as dramatic.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
You also need to factor in the purchase of a calibration tool for the speedometer. I was hesitant at getting one but it made a big difference in the transmission shifting so it drives much better now. I used this one https://ecri.app/

Bama_Swampfox

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland (09-14-3pm) ; Kubota 2910 Tractor; 1964 BP-1
Occupation
Retired, thank God
I had the same dilemma. For me, I rarely go off road and itā€™s usually dirt/gravel not anything serious. So lifting the truck for bigger tires really comes down to ā€œcosmeticsā€ for me.

On paved roads is where I dive 95% of the time and yes, fuel mileage is important to me too.

I upgraded the shocks and steering damper for better handling. I happen to like the Overland wheels so, when the time comes for new tires my plan is to install a ā€œlevelingā€ spacer kit and upsize the tires a bit on the stock rims. Iā€™m thinking 285/75 x 18.

This plan may change depending on the next time I park next to a lifted Gladiator with a great wheel and tire combošŸ˜‰

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase

JW Jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Well I guess I am different here. I am retired and 68. Went the Overland route. I added Line x, Tonneau cover and mopar mudflaps. I get 21- 22 mpg around town and 25-26 on interstate here in Colorado with higher elevation with 85 octane gas. I think Iā€™m staying with this. Larger tires and lift hurt fuel mileage, power and ride for sure. I donā€™t off road really so what the heck ? this thing rides great,handles good and performance seems good . Why mess with it especially while itā€™s under warranty ?

Timoleon

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Tech
After owning and lifting a lot of 4 wheel drive vehicles,; I have figured that those folks over at Jeep/Toyota/Ford/etc... have to design the vehicles to best perform within their spaces. A lot of design goes into these vehicles and the limits of the design and of the actual components is factored in.

As I have found there are lots of issues in steering geometry and the rest of the suspension. With that in mind, I limit my back yard slide rule designing to what gives me a slight advantage. Kinda a cost benefit analysis. So, I started with a Rubicon and leave it as is. I would like to see what this beast does with 35's vice the original 33's that it came with. Nothing more. No lift or extreme large tires. That (for me) would be about it. And then, I have to understand what it would do to the applied torque at the wheel with the added lever of an extra inch from the center of the axle. It doesn't effect the geometry of the suspension, just causes another area to watch for rubbing. And, if selected right the larger tires add a bit more un-sprung weight effecting the life of the breaks and shocks and associated hardware.

Short answer; the suspension remains the same.

OP
OP
Phil_R

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado 1500 Custom/Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Occupation
Retired for now!
All great ideas and information!
Keep it coming if you like!
Thanks for the replies so far :like:

Sponsored

HappyGladiator

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrical tech
Stay stock. Everything you do will hurt MPG along with possible ride quality. Stock you can still go off road but you will be limited and might drag now and then. Perhaps a litttle bigger tire like a Michelin Defender will work for you. You can get them up to a 33, quiet, long wearing.

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Sounds like staying stock is the right option for you:)

ColoradoGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Before the JK was introduced, the words fuel economy and Jeep were never used in the same sentence. (Smile). I've had Jeeps for over 30 years.

After the JK was introduced, it showed a Wrangler could be used as a daily driver for the family, and now one of the biggest concerns of new Wrangler owners was fuel economy.

Introduce the JL. Over 75 changes were made to the JL to improve fuel economy. Angled the windshield back a tad, new low resistance bearings everywhere, 8 speed transmission, bumper air deflectors, Auto start stop, light weight metals, and the list goes on.

You'll get a 1,000 recommendations for a lift, but in your case, it sounds like spacers front and rear would give you the look you are going for.

My suggestion would be to pick up a Rubicon take off suspension. You can get a complete swap for next to nothing these days, including the shocks, and it will give you a better look and keep the factory ride. I'd also add a 3/4 Spacer kit to the Rubicon suspension. This will have minimal to pretty no effect on fuel mileage.

Now going up to 35's will affect FE, especially if you drive a little harder around town . There are some light weights 35's that will help, but you still have all the other factors of the bigger tire diameter.

I run 35's on my JTR and I lost about 3 MPG around town, and 4 in the winter, and about 2 on the freeway. I have the Mopar 2" lift.

BTW, I've read so many postings and articles about people going to lower gears with 35's and up, and the benefit for FE wasn't that much. It helped with performance and getting into 8th on the freeway, but maybe 1 or 2 MPG pickup.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Itā€™s a rabbit hole for sure. Start with a leveling kit and see how you like it. No joke, I bought one for like 80 bucks on Amazon. Itā€™s just a metal spacer with some end links for the sway bar as well as shock extensions. Leave the rear stock. Youā€™re not going to be flexing the heck out of it so this combo will work for you, I ran 37s that way before going to a 4.5ā€ lift. It will drive like stock because youā€™re utilizing the factory suspension. You can save on fuel economy by going to a lighter tire if you go with 35s so shop around. BFG ko2s are lightweight. A 255 85 17 is a skinnier tire and may benefit as well for fuel economy.

jjdustr340

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Crime fighter.
So just to give you an idea, here is my JTā€¦.
80th Anniversary Edition which is based off the Sport.
1.5ā€ Teraflex Leveling kit (which is around $100)
Vision Se7en wheels with 295/70R18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W (which is a 34x11.5) both from @Discount Tire for total of $1600 during a sale.
Added Mopar LCAs ($70 at the time) to bring back some caster.
My daily drive to work is 60 mph on country roads and Iā€™m averaging 18mpg (hills, winding turns, a few stops). Highway driving is closer to 20mpg.
Rides better than stock (thanks to the LCAs) and looks a little better I think.

906E3A03-6E04-4B9C-9016-2BCA81BFF3E7.jpeg

672B6F25-4E6D-4A92-9F22-4F1763F88E82.jpeg

7BA79149-FF54-4029-AE82-E35745162A0D.jpeg
Sponsored