Sponsored

So, how much do you really scrape the belly while off road? Lifted.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
These JTs look like they get more belly scratches than my dog. Nevertheless, I’m still in the market and prob going to pick one up.
Oh, yeah, for sure still get one! As much as anything, they just require more attention when driving off road, and a change in the way you approach and overtake obstacles and ledges.
Sponsored

bleubob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm about to pull the trigger on a JT Rubicon. This will be my 4th Jeep, coming from a JLU Rubicon with 35s and 2" Mopar Lift.
My current JLU does everything I need and then some--for the trails I run. I visit Moab about 5x per year and usually do no more than a trail rated as a "6" (i.e. Top of the World, Hells Revenge), but spend most of my time camping and going to remote spots (elephant hill) and plan to do some colorado trails (Black bear pass, etc) soon.

The only reason I am wanting the JT is I want to get a bigger trailer next year--and the JLU won't cut it. I know I'll miss the "fun" of the JLU--i've had the top off since early springs.

So, my question, are ya'll really scraping a ton with the breakover? I plan on doing a 2-3" lift with 35's--or more likely 37s.

bleubob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I went with the 3.5” Rough Country lift and 37” Cooper STT Pros. Great ground clearance. Only had them a week but got myself caught in the NM desert sand, 12” deep pulling a 4800# camper behind me. Kept the tires spinning (4wdL, front and rears locked in) and made it out by the grace of God. No one will tell me this Jeep isn’t worthy!
Jeep Gladiator So, how much do you really scrape the belly while off road? Lifted. 9C775876-7734-4002-9CBF-C8C9B772F747

OP
OP
Jems007

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I went with the 3.5” Rough Country lift and 37” Cooper STT Pros. Great ground clearance. Only had them a week but got myself caught in the NM desert sand, 12” deep pulling a 4800# camper behind me. Kept the tires spinning (4wdL, front and rears locked in) and made it out by the grace of God. No one will tell me this Jeep isn’t worthy!
Jeep Gladiator So, how much do you really scrape the belly while off road? Lifted. 9C775876-7734-4002-9CBF-C8C9B772F747
Wow! Nice. Any pics of the near miss? Was the trailer sticking In the sans or the Jeep ?

Sponsored

bleubob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Wow! Nice. Any pics of the near miss? Was the trailer sticking In the sans or the Jeep ?
No pics, I was too nervous to stop. We were literally 10 miles into the desert and wanted to keep the tires rolling. I did stop after one patch of sand to check out the trailer. I noticed the trailer axle had dragged and smoothed out the sand behind me. The Jeep never Bottomed out

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
My two CJ8's had more issues with the overhang in the back, I ended up having some RV skid wheels (almost like wheelie bars to keep the rear bumper from being yanked off on an RV) fabricated for them to keep from leveling off the desert with my rear bumper. ;)

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Jeep Gladiator So, how much do you really scrape the belly while off road? Lifted. AE188733-4E63-4C21-94C3-2F6C0BB6C8FE
Do you have the one with springs or spacers? Hows the ride ...actually?

bleubob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Do you have the one with springs or spacers? Hows the ride ...actually?
I have the springs/shocks/linkage ends. Ride is very good. Was stiff at first but all has softened up. Also put the double steering stabilizer on. No wandering issues

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
You can do it without putting the Jeep on a jack or stands. One of the holes on the frame bracket might need to be drilled out A little for the bolt to line up, but they’re pretty easy. A box end wrench with sticky grease might help you hold the farthest nut in place.
As you said, the front hole is off by "half a bolt" on each side. I decided not to drill my truck, since it will look wonky if you take the skid off, and it is a spot you can see. I am hogging out the hole on the skid plates instead and repainting the spot on the skid.... Turned out to be some work, those skids are thick.... should have been an easy job.... I am surprised the bolt hole was off by that much.... Rusty's has to fix that.... I will posts some pics when I am done...

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
As you said, the front hole is off by "half a bolt" on each side. I decided not to drill my truck, since it will look wonky if you take the skid off, and it is a spot you can see. I am hogging out the hole on the skid plates instead and repainting the spot on the skid.... Turned out to be some work, those skids are thick.... should have been an easy job.... I am surprised the bolt hole was off by that much.... Rusty's has to fix that.... I will posts some pics when I am done...
Here is the forward hole that I had to hog out to get the bolts to line up on each skid. I used a drill with a hand rotary metal file and went up and down in the hole to elongate it. You can see the file attached to the drill in the pic. This worked a lot better than a normal drill bit.
Jeep Gladiator So, how much do you really scrape the belly while off road? Lifted. I60RNu

Here is a pic of my stock rear control arm bracket.
Jeep Gladiator So, how much do you really scrape the belly while off road? Lifted. vn4CPN

Here are a couple of pics of them installed. Definitely worth the money and they protect the lowest spot. I wish all the holes lined up... , but, with some extra effort I did not have to drill the Gladiator.
Jeep Gladiator So, how much do you really scrape the belly while off road? Lifted. h5uFas

Jeep Gladiator So, how much do you really scrape the belly while off road? Lifted. 1afrzG

First Name
Spin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1947 CJ-2A, 2020 JTR MT, 1934 Huppmobile 421J,
Occupation
Welder
Moab(hells revenge, Rimrocker, and others), Ouray (Poughkeepsie gulch and many others) New Mexico desert, and lots more in CO like hacket gulch. I have scraped on nearly every trail, Stock, JTR. Never so bad I wouldn't continue or was concerned was going to damage something important. It has done everything, and the stock skids and rear sliders have done a good job, with the scars to prove it. It's long, you are going to hit. It will do it though. I'm am going to 35's this week to hopefully help a bit. See if/how bad it rubs with those before I think about a lift. My only other jeep is a completely stock '47 Willys.

20200614_153350.jpg

bleubob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Here is the forward hole that I had to hog out to get the bolts to line up on each skid. I used a drill with a hand rotary metal file and went up and down in the hole to elongate it. You can see the file attached to the drill in the pic. This worked a lot better than a normal drill bit.
Jeep Gladiator So, how much do you really scrape the belly while off road? Lifted. 20200614_153350

Here is a pic of my stock rear control arm bracket.
Jeep Gladiator So, how much do you really scrape the belly while off road? Lifted. 20200614_153350

Here are a couple of pics of them installed. Definitely worth the money and they protect the lowest spot. I wish all the holes lined up... , but, with some extra effort I did not have to drill the Gladiator.

Nice. Do you have a part number? I’m tired of trying to find them on the website.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
On their website, go to “skid plates”, then select JT. Or...
https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...-arm-frame-side-skid-plates-jt-gladiator.html
I did not find instructions, so, here are some additional installation pointers:

1. Put the Gladiator on Level ground, so, you can move the control arms up and down a little bit in the bracket after removing the bolt without it getting misaligned.
2. The new screws for the Skids have "grip nuts" for the skid. All you have to do is thread them into the bolt and tighten, no wrench on the nut is needed.
3. For attaching the skid, you must remove the control arm bolt first.
4. Then, after hogging out the bolt hole on the skid enough to get the holes to line up, put in the forward bolt for the skid while pushing down on the control arm, or tying it down a little. Note: the rubber makes it spring back into place. This nut is kind of hard to thread in there, but, it will fit if you keep it flat on the skid surface while you thread in the bolt.
5. After threading in the forward bolt, tighten it finger tight, then, put in the control arm bolt, and the other rear bolt in any convenient order.
6. Note: I used a pneumatic impact gun, set to the proper ft. lbs. to tighten the control arm bolt.
Sponsored