John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
I'll play...

We've had a RTT for 3 years now. I can say the biggest reason we bought one is because of where we live...Colorado. We have plenty of opportunities to use it and enjoy it to it's full potential.

I'm going to preface all of this with that I AM NOT CONVICING ANYONE they NEED a RTT. It seems that almost all conversations about RTT's turn into confrontations and that's not my intent here. If you want one and can afford one then so be it.

Top reasons for my family...
1) Consistent and comfortable place to sleep every time. 3in foam mattress, fully zipped screen/canvas doors, all sleeping bags/pillows remain inside all the time and 12V/USB ports for lighting and charging. If we leave for a weekend in the Rockies our bed is always there if we don't feel like driving home
2) Super fast setup and break down (my particular tent at least)
3) Sleeping elevated from animals
4) Inclement weather-proof. Moab and Fruita are prime examples. Wind/Dust storms kick up in a moment's notice and I've had ground tents ripped from the stakes or full of sand after storm rolls thru. Cleaning up Moab sand is a chore. I can close up my RTT and jump in the truck if the weather turns sideways in less than a minute.
5) Fun. Yes, it's just a good time popping the tent, having a drink and enjoying a view from an extra 7 feet or so over the pheasants :) j/k

Cons: (with personal remarks)
1) If you want to take the truck for a rip after you find a campsite you have to pack up the RTT first. Also, "holding" a dispersed site with your RTT is not an option like a ground tent so we have to use old camp chairs or water jugs to stake our spot
2) Expensive ($1600-$4000); granted if you use it for dispersed camping rather than paying for KOA/State Parks/Hotels you'll eventually pay it off in a sense
3) Gas mileage... I don't agree that it "kills" MGPs, but it does affect it 1-2mpg. My 37's "killed" my MPGs

Debatable Topics:
1) 4-wheeling with a RTT is dangerous for top-heavy obstacles = my take is that you probably need to pick whether you want a severe-duty trail rig or camping rig. I've done trails like Engineer Pass and this is about my comfort level. In no way do I feel like the RTT is hindering my 4x4 capabilities. Ask yourself what you want to do with your JT... if my RTT is limiting me from running a trail then I personally should not be on that trail if I want to keep this my daily driver. By the time people add gas cans, recovery equipment, gear and tools to their roof racks the weight penalty is about the same (~165lb)

I really just need to keep these comments in folder to cut/paste in any RTT discussion :) My opinion has not changed over the last 3 years of ownership.

John

Jeep Gladiator So why do people like roof top tents IMG_20200831_114124

Jeep Gladiator So why do people like roof top tents IMG_20200908_111952_948

Jeep Gladiator So why do people like roof top tents 1610736741893
Sponsored

OP
OP

Conrad101st

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Title attorney
I wasn’t dissing them. I was just curious. The fact that they have mattresses and bedding organic to the setup is a cool feature I was not aware of. Enjoyed all the input. Learned something new to consider. I was also thinking about one of the pop up trailer tents for use with my wife. She has an irrational fear of bears and such when we go to NM or Colorado.

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
I wasn’t dissing them. I was just curious. The fact that they have mattresses and bedding organic to the setup is a cool feature I was not aware of. Enjoyed all the input. Learned something new to consider. I was also thinking about one of the pop up trailer tents for use with my wife. She has an irrational fear of bears and such when we go to NM or Colorado.
I understand, sorry if my post came across defensive. I really enjoy talking about RTT options and I'm always hesitant to join these convos because inevitably someone will simply hijack the conversation with complaints on price, weight or gas mileage without ever owning one. My wife and I have gone thru different iterations of RTT's over the years and I'm willing to help or answer questions if it gets people outdoors to enjoy their Jeep.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Biggest perk for me was not having to clear a campsite, you just stack a few rocks to level the truck and you're good to go.

But the soft tent was more trouble than it was worth. Too much weight up high, no faster than my REI ground tent, mattress not enough for side sleepers... I sold it for 90% of what I paid and bought a new 4-person 3.5 season ground tent and very much enjoy all the space.

I keep waffling about going back in on an Autohome hardshell tent that would be faster and would have room to keep a custom foam mattress but that's a lot of other mods I could do instead.

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I had a RTT on my old Land Rover and loved it, but as I got older I discovered a need to leave in the middle of the night when nature called. I did shared the story of the one time I thought, I’ll just pee from the top of the ladder. Thought I was cool. Then my wife started to climb down the ladder and said, “Hey, I didn’t know it rained...ewwww gross!!!” That stopped that.

Now I have the best of both worlds. A bed tent and mattress. The inflatable mattress is really comfortable, easy in and out, set up takes ten minutes, a quarter the price of a good RTT, and no aerodynamic issues. The tent, mattress, foam pad and bedding takes up the space of two sleeping bags and we can access power through the rear window if required. Works great for us and no more “ewwwww” from the wife!

Climbhigh

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydro Blue Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Arborist
I think is depends on your camping style.

Are you looking at going to one area for multiple days, and doing site seeing in that area during the day? Then ground tent or camper is best.

Are you going from point A to B, with only camping in one location for a night and then moving on? Or just doing a one night 2 day trail run? Then a RTT is a very good option.

I take my RTT of when not using it. I have it down to a pretty quick process and only have to remove 8 bolts. I have a DIY cab hoist (from my f250) that I use to lift it away. The hoist allows me to easily install/remove the RTT by myself, and get the bolt hols lined up easily.
Jeep Gladiator So why do people like roof top tents 20200907_144812

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of great discussion here. It seems like there is no perfect setup for all situations.

I see the merits of a RTT and if I could pull into the garage with it on, I wouldn’t think twice about having one. However, as others RTT owners have pointed out there are pros and cons.

With the bed topper, I’ve also been considering the bed air mattress. It’s a quick setup and significantly less expensive.

It feels like the bike rack conundrum, we’ll end up buying multiple solutions dependent on the need. I certainly appreciate everyone’s feedback.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Been tent camping for years. Been out "overlanding" with people with RTTs and their appeal to me is quick set up. But that's it. And even that's over rated IMO.

I can set up our tent with air mattress in minutes and I can leave it there. I don't have to make sure my truck is perfectly level because any angle it's parked at is accentuated 6-7 feet up high.

I also don't want my wife going down and up the ladder at least once if not more times a night. And I'm no fan of doing that myself.

Ground camping is easy, flexible, less costly for gear and doesn't affect MPGs (not that it's important - I drive a Gladiator on 37's).

I like looking at your RTTs but I'm secretly laughing as you almost never take them off, you rarely use them and it's costing you $$$ to drive them around.

39rdke-jpg.jpg

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
I like looking at your RTTs but I'm secretly laughing as you almost never take them off, you rarely use them and it's costing you $$$ to drive them around.
yikes.

Sponsored

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
^^ Exactly ^^ Well at least this thread went #24 posts before the negativity started and the "change my mind gif" was posted. Again, not a single RTT Thread can exist without it becoming a ground tent vs RTT debate. Let's remember the OP's question was "why do people like RTT's"

I'll refer back to my comment in post #18 = " I'm always hesitant to join these convos because inevitably someone will simply hijack the conversation with complaints on price, weight or gas mileage without ever owning one. "

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
^^ Exactly ^^ Well at least this thread went #24 posts before the negativity started and the "change my mind gif" was posted. Again, not a single RTT Thread can exist without it becoming a ground tent vs RTT debate. Let's remember the OP's question was "why do people like RTT's"

I'll refer back to my comment in post #18 = " I'm always hesitant to join these convos because inevitably someone will simply hijack the conversation with complaints on price, weight or gas mileage without ever owning one. "
yeah I really don’t get the hate - they‘re unique, they’re expensive, but then why the hell did you buy a Gladiator when a Colorado or Ranger or Tacoma are cheaper? Jeep is a ‘lifestyle’ brand. A RTT is a ‘lifestyle’ tent. Haters gonna hate I guess...

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
1st - I love my RTT...mainly for the speed and comfort. It’s also quite warm. But, do you need one? Of course not.

As I've gotten older, I look at that ladder and think about a 2 AM trip to water the nearest tree.....yeah, NOPE!
2nd - A buddy of mine has a funnel attached to a tube extending to the ground for those early morning bathroom breaks. 🤣

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
1st - I love my RTT...mainly for the speed and comfort. It’s also quite warm. But, do you need one? Of course not.

2nd - A buddy of mine has a funnel attached to a tube extending to the ground for those early morning bathroom breaks. 🤣
People who don't know how to pee in a RTT clearly haven't camped in near-zero temps. You can't open the tent at night to let what warmth you have out so we just kept a wide mouth Nalgene handy with 3M grip tape on it to make it very clear you were about to make a mistake if you went for a drink in the night.

gouacats

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM; JK; WK2
People who don't know how to pee in a RTT clearly haven't camped in near-zero temps. You can't open the tent at night to let what warmth you have out so we just kept a wide mouth Nalgene handy with 3M grip tape on it to make it very clear you were about to make a mistake if you went for a drink in the night.
Great idea with the grip tape. I’m gonna use that!
Sponsored