Sport S vs Rubicon

danman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I know this thread has been made many times and honestly my brain hurts from reading most of them I have 2 simple questions that seems to get lost in all of the threads that I read.

Sport S Max Tow vs Rubicon (6-7k difference in price)

Going to lift and put 35/37 and re gear
Replacing Fenders
Mild off roading - trails to get to fishing spots/camping/hiking - no rock crawling/mudding/etc
Not towing anything crazy lawn trailers and maybe some ATV/motorcyles

So my questions are for what I am doing is the rubicon really worth the extra $? Since I will have the dana 44 and changing shocks, springs, and gears is there anything on the rubicon that I really need that the Max tow package won't give me to do what I am doing?

Thank you for all answer and insight
Sponsored

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No. As they are stock from the factory, the Sport is a very capable truck. Minor mods make it more-so.
Unless you want the lockers, lower range in the transfer case and the electric sway bar disconnect, a lot of it is simply bragging rights. Remember, everyone here will tell you that the choice they made was correct. It's human nature. "My choice is always best" is how it goes with forums in many cases.
You can add manual sway bar disconnects in your garage, you can swap a lot of parts and come out with everything you NEED (vs. want) often for much less money.
Any Gladiator will likely do what you are considering doing.
I'll be pulling my car hauler with a car on it when the shows open back up, and I have an Overland. I've done some minor things with it, but I can't say I miss anything about the Rubicon by deciding on Overland. Saved thousands, have a very capable truck that will take me anywhere I wish to go - including I'd bet some tough trails.

Shadowmaker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer
If you have intentions of resale and are just trying to save a buck I would lean towards Rubicon as resale value should be higher than a Sport and more desirable to a dealer from a marketing perspective.

However, if you are trying to keep your payment down, and do not mind missing some creature features the Sport is a great package. There is a blessing in simplicity.

Finally, drive both. There are some creature comforts in a Rubicon over a Sport.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If you have intentions of resale and are just trying to save a buck I would lean towards Rubicon as resale value should be higher than a Sport and more desirable to a dealer from a marketing perspective.
That's pretty much been debunked.........
Check the other threads on "values".
For one thing, it's pure speculation because the JT hasn't been out very long, and the second is that it doesn't hold true for Wrangler.
But to avoid duplicating all of the reasons, etc. - I'd refer those interested to check the other threads.
Dealers here sell more Sport level JT than any other level. You don't see JTR around here, and the dealers just don't stock them often.
That may vary in other states, but around here, I've found my Overland doesn't bother dealers at all when talking trade, makes pretty much no difference.
Speculating on future value is the worst reason to purchase a specific level - filling needs is the most important.

Sponsored

GibbonsMonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator; 2020 Ford F350
Both sound perfectly viable for you. I would focus on the options and then decide if a price difference is worth it to you. Technical capabilities aside, are you comparing apples to apples for trim and niceties that you care about?

Haywire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
No. Your description of intended use is identical to mine. I'm glad I went with the Maxtow option, but after a year of messing around in it I'm not missing anything Rubicon. I have a JKS kit, rims, & 35's waiting to install, but don't need to go anywhere that's beyond this setup. Hop this helps!

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
Dealers here sell more Sport level JT than any other level. You don't see JTR around here, and the dealers just don't stock them often.
I notice the same thing in my area from several dealers. Interestingly this leads to better price opportunities on the Rubicon. Dealers know they don’t move those units, so they’re willing to work better deals.

I picked up my JTT with an MSRP of $54K for $47K.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
It’s the opposite here you mostly see Rubicons. I initially bought a Sport S with plans To build it up with lockers etc and would have been cheaper then getting a Rubicon. But now I traded it in with the crazy market and got a Rubicon for cheaper then I would have building up the Sport S. The Max tow is kinda overrated as it offers you basically nothing if your going to regear anyways. Sure a little longer axel but big whoop. That’s not going to do anything for you.

Tarantularock

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 f150(sold) 2021 Gladiator Sport
We Bought our sport with auto and hard top for 35 have put 5k more into it so far and love it… I still have a budget for $ 7k more to put into it before it even matches up with the starting price of the rubicon we test drove. I found it was hard to go against wanting the biggest best option on the lot… but I know I would have wanted to replaced at least 40% of rubicon stock parts. The rest would have been just nice to haves. Good luck with whatever you choose great choice either way!

Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
If you are going to replace the suspension, tires, and gears no need to even get max tow I wouldn't think. My vote is on a sport without max tow.
Max Tow adds more then just suspension, tires, and gears to a Sport.

It also adds larger brakes, limited slip differential, larger alternator, increased cooling, and daytime running lights.

Even eliminating the gears and heavier suspension, you would probably be hard pressed to add all that for the $1200 the max tow option adds to the cost.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Our Max Tow is more capable than where my wife wants to go.

awraynor

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I went through the same thought process AKA "paralysis of analysis". My heart wanted the Rubicion, but I knew I would rarely go off-road, much less rock crawling which the Rubicon is intended for. If I went that route I would have a more capable vehicle than I needed, a higher payment and possibly a less pleasant ride on the streets.

Like @ShadowsPapa I went with the Overland. It has the creature comforts I want, mostly the Proximity locks, and the 8.4" stereo with premium audio that I love. The leather seats are nice, but I was +/- about them. I'm looking at some Rubicon take offs and a hood sticker, maybe a TeraFlex 1.5" leveling kit and it'll be everything I want and need.

The feature creep is real and expensive.

Matt84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Max Tow adds more then just suspension, tires, and gears to a Sport.

It also adds larger brakes, limited slip differential, larger alternator, increased cooling, and daytime running lights.

Even eliminating the gears and heavier suspension, you would probably be hard pressed to add all that for the $1200 the max tow option adds to the cost.
You get the larger alternator and increased cooling with regular tow package as well. Limited slip is available without max tow but is pretty trash from what I understand so why bother. Daytime running lamps are now standard since body colored fenders were made standard. So you’re basically paying $800 over the standard tow package for bigger brakes and a LSD that will wear out and need replaced soon anyway if you’re using it.
Sponsored