Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Earlier this year my aux battery died completely and the JT would not jump start at all because the aux battery was totally dead. Granted it had been sitting for a month because I could not drive due to surgery. But it should have charged up with a charger or at least be jumped. I had to have it towed to the service department.

End result - battery was dead due to bad engineering design. There is a water drain hole in the windshield wiper cowling that in the end drains into the battery box. At the bottom of the box is a drain hole. The drain hole got plugged when we had a snow storm and some debris fell in there causing the water to pool. The aux battery was sitting in this pool of water and it shorted out. Both batteries were replaced under warranty. And apparently due to the chaotic electronics while trying to get the vehicle started the radio lost the id info for sirius and gps. Had to get a new one put in - first replacement had an issue recognizing the antennas. Second replacement worked fine.

Who the heck designs the drainage path to go through the battery holder? An idiot engineer. Same type of engineer that designs a furnace such that you have to reach through the furnace through a 3 inch slot to remove and replace the air filters. When we had it replaced the technician cut a access door into the filter compartment so we could easily replace them. Engineer vs. a technician that has to service the furnace. Technician wins.
The battery would have to be sitting in water deep enough that it contacted the battery posts - the connections themselves. Batteries don't short out by just sitting in water. That's a fact.
If the battery is filthy - say conductive dirt, salt, acids, etc. make a path between the posts then it will drain over time and be dead, but it's not a short. It's a slow discharge process.
So unless that water was inches deep to the posts - that's not it.
There's no path through the water for discharge.
Sorry - water in the tray did not ruin the battery.
Sponsored

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The battery would have to be sitting in water deep enough that it contacted the battery posts - the connections themselves. Batteries don't short out by just sitting in water. That's a fact.
If the battery is filthy - say conductive dirt, salt, acids, etc. make a path between the posts then it will drain over time and be dead, but it's not a short. It's a slow discharge process.
So unless that water was inches deep to the posts - that's not it.
There's no path through the water for discharge.
Sorry - water in the tray did not ruin the battery.
The service department told me that the aux battery was sitting in a pool of water and that drained/shorted it out - in other words ruined the battery. How deep the water was I have no idea, could have been deep enough to reach the terminals. Either way the battery would no longer take a charge and they blamed it on the pool of water the aux battery was sitting in due to a plugged drainage hole at the bottom of the battery box.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
At this point the vehicle was only 4.5-5 months old.

The service department told me that the aux battery was sitting in a pool of water and that drained/shorted it out - in other words ruined the battery. How deep the water was I have no idea, could have been deep enough to reach the terminals. Either way the battery would no longer take a charge and they blamed it on the pool of water the aux battery was sitting in due to a plugged drainage hole at the bottom of the battery box.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
You know if there was a technical service bulletin or something?

I took my truck in to be serviced for the ESS issue way too many times in 2020/2021.

They never did anything to fix it.
No TSB. But if they where properly testing the batteries (seperate), the small Aux battery wasn't really built for what it was being used for, at least to the specs of the original batteries capacity. Funny enough they went from a 200cca battery and settled on a 180cca battery. From my experience, I've seen nearly 100 of the original and previous "updated" batteries replaced, not a single one of the newest 180cca batteries have gone bad. But further to your point, it depends on what issues where found. Some times just certain driving patterns will cause too many SS cycles without enough time to recharge and the light will come on. It will correct itself by simply driving the vehicle without it shutting down.

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
No TSB. But if they where properly testing the batteries (seperate), the small Aux battery wasn't really built for what it was being used for, at least to the specs of the original batteries capacity. Funny enough they went from a 200cca battery and settled on a 180cca battery. From my experience, I've seen nearly 100 of the original and previous "updated" batteries replaced, not a single one of the newest 180cca batteries have gone bad. But further to your point, it depends on what issues where found. Some times just certain driving patterns will cause too many SS cycles without enough time to recharge and the light will come on. It will correct itself by simply driving the vehicle without it shutting down.
Would be good to see if Odyssey motorcycle batteries fit (I know the 14-rated ones are 180cc). Those batteries last forever

Sponsored

OP
OP
Glad_he_ate

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Yea post warranty I’ll likely swap out for a set of quality AGM. batteries.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
Would be good to see if Odyssey motorcycle batteries fit (I know the 14-rated ones are 180cc). Those batteries last forever
that’s a totally fair idea. We do use AGM for both batteries in case you didn’t know

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Long story short, they went as far as replacing the IBS, but as the issue persisted, they never did anything more.

Even as they’d test it and it only started working when the weather warmed up, they’d just say it would pass all their battery diagnostics.

It was always weird with them telling me they couldn’t do anything without a failing result from a diagnostic and me asking them how it actually not working wasn’t an actual ‘diagnostic’.

I have since installed a solar panel, on the hood just to try to keep the batteries tended. So far this season (now with the solar panel), it has been working…

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
Long story short, they went as far as replacing the IBS, but as the issue persisted, they never did anything more.

Even as they’d test it and it only started working when the weather warmed up, they’d just say it would pass all their battery diagnostics.

It was always weird with them telling me they couldn’t do anything without a failing result from a diagnostic and me asking them how it actually not working wasn’t an actual ‘diagnostic’.

I have since installed a solar panel, on the hood just to try to keep the batteries tended. So far this season (now with the solar panel), it has been working…
basically Chrysler won’t approve a repair without a proved reason. “Dosent start sometimes” don’t fly with them

Garemlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
My ess has never given the not ready message. But it rarely kicks in. Even in optimal conditions where it's not too hot or cold and no climate controls running. I'd say in 9 months it has actually worked maybe 10 times. I know this would be heaven for some. Lol Debating on having it looked at.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They are full of it is the bottom line. Unless the battery is sitting in a box under the hood - with walls that go higher than the terminal, there's no way that much water would sit around the battery when it's installed in the truck.

There are problems with these batteries - that's the REAL reason it went bad.
I suppose the people that work there still believe that sitting a battery on the floor will ruin it, too. That's been debunked in so many ways but still - some believe it.
All that sitting a battery in "a pool of water" will do is discharge it - and not fast, either. It would take a long time.
If a battery would be ruined by sitting in some water - think of all of the batteries out there sitting on STEEL battery trays. (often rusty ones at that)

In other words - that's not a tech I'd want working on my truck if they believe what they said.

We do use AGM for both batteries in case you didn’t know
Yes, and that's why I have to keep reminding myself that the voltages I see are FINE - these aren't old-school batteries. I remember really getting concerned when I saw my voltage at 14.6 or higher - ok, all is fine, this is normal, different smart system, different battery technology.
And with AGM batteries we should be using chargers designed for the batteries.
My old chargers from 20+ years ago just aren't ideal for these.

OP
OP
Glad_he_ate

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
So here is something interesting. Previous to me seeing the stop/start battery charging messages it would always simply say ready or not ready or off or not ready steering wheel turned. Now I seem to get far more information then I used to. Ota update or they flashed it. But now I see ready or not ready with a reason for why it’s not ready. Steering angle , battery charging, drivers seatbelt not on, engine temperature too low.. it’s nice to see a reason why. I prefer too much information rather then too little.

tumbes2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
So my start stop has said not ready battery charging for about a week now. I drive roughly two hrs a day. One would think that it would be charged by now. I’ll be taking it in soon and will post up the findings here. It’s sitting at 14 volts constantly. My guess is the auxiliary battery is to blame… or the cold weather is causing the def heater to run a lot ?? Idk we will see
That happened to me but it was actually the hood open sensor. There are two and one of them shares the same circuit for part of the auto start system. They replaced the bad sensor and its been fine. Them seems to know pretty quick that was the issue so it might be a known thing.

bentrod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Where is the aux battery located exactly???
I really hate this start stop system. Has anyone ever removed the system? At the least would it be possible to not run the aux battery at all??

OP
OP
Glad_he_ate

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
Passenger fender well. You can disable it many ways.
Sponsored