First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
The abundance of hydrogen alone, should make it the obvious solution. It would be the least disruptive to how we all live and travel as well.

Replacing ICE with hydrogen motors will provide the same get in, fuel up and go that we are all used to with gasoline. The only real downside, compared to a battery electric motor, is performance drops a bit with hydrogen. But, it is on par with current ICE performance so it is really a moot point.

It all comes down to money. Where is the money to be made with a resource as plentiful as Hydrogen? Batteries make money, battery plants make money and chargers make money.
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I'm waiting for dilithium crystals, or better yet a Hemi.
Think you will be waiting long time. Have better chance of someone loving you long time.

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
Think you will be waiting long time. Have better chance of someone loving you long time.
;) Hemi's going in as soon as my extended warranty expires

Sponsored

tastetickles

First Name
Yik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JT
Occupation
IT guy
Toyota said the same thing and got cancelled for it, the ceo had to step down just last week after saying pure EV is not the near future but hybrid would work. I live in Asia so while I love EV (been racing RC EV 1/10 and can see the advantages it hold against nitro engine ones, endurance is not its strong suit), I wouldn’t want to drive an EV when gasoline is so cheap in my country.

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
This guy does a great job at explaining if the grid can handle EV's. The math definitely checks out.

The downfall has to do with current infrastructure that these power companies have been dragging there feet on.

It is a shame that all the nuclear plants are either in dis-repair or have been shut down over the past 30 years. I am hopeful the SMR projects (Small Modular Reactors) will soon gain some headroom. The idea would be that you have many SMR's that power neighborhoods and towns vs. massive plants that cost billons and take 10+ years to build.

Minerals is one part of the problem with EV's. The other half is the infrastructure. In order for this to work, we need to re-think the energy grid. Perhaps a total re-vamp of how we get our energy in the first place. Solar and wind arent going to cut it. Solar fields are just as damaging to the eco system with the amount of acreage required for Mega-watt generation.

https://www.energy.gov/ne/advanced-small-modular-reactors-smrs

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Power companies have for years been trying to improve the grid. Part of that is putting up new transmission lines. But the NIMBY's (Not In My Back Yard) had, and are having their way in stopping the power companies from building new transmission lines. The government has sided with the NIMBY's everytime. There is just not enough transmissions now. When I was still working at the power plant. I know of 12 projects that was shut down over the yrs.

Nuke plants are designed for about a 30yr life span. A lot of the plants are operating beyond that now. They had their permits renewed. Some do not and are shutting down, or have shut down. To build a new nuke plant. Figure 10 yrs and 3 to 4 billion dollars just for the permitting. Once that is done. figure 30 plus yrs and 40 plus billion dollars to build it. At least 3 to 4 power companies have to pool together to get it built. One company can't afford by their self to build a nuke plant. Plus you have the NIMBY's to content with too.

Older coal plant are shutting down because they are no longer feasible to put money into because they are worn out and the emission controls needed to keep them running. Plus you have the NIMBY's again.

Everyone want green energy of solar and wind. But in a lot of places. You have the damn NIMBY's again. People want, BUT don't want to see it.

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Power companies have for years been trying to improve the grid. Part of that is putting up new transmission lines. But the NIMBY's (Not In My Back Yard) had, and are having their way in stopping the power companies from building new transmission lines. The government has sided with the NIMBY's everytime. There is just not enough transmissions now. When I was still working at the power plant. I know of 12 projects that was shut down over the yrs.

Nuke plants are designed for about a 30yr life span. A lot of the plants are operating beyond that now. They had their permits renewed. Some do not and are shutting down, or have shut down. To build a new nuke plant. Figure 10 yrs and 3 to 4 billion dollars just for the permitting. Once that is done. figure 30 plus yrs and 40 plus billion dollars to build it. At least 3 to 4 power companies have to pool together to get it built. One company can't afford by their self to build a nuke plant. Plus you have the NIMBY's to content with too.

Older coal plant are shutting down because they are no longer feasible to put money into because they are worn out and the emission controls needed to keep them running. Plus you have the NIMBY's again.

Everyone want green energy of solar and wind. But in a lot of places. You have the damn NIMBY's again. People want, BUT don't want to see it.
Our progressive townsfolk are already organizing against underground carbon sequestration. I think that‘s a new one NUMBY - not under my back yard.

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
LMFAO, Ive been saying this for awhile, since I work in the electric production industry...not enough infrastructure, the grid is in poor shape and will take 15+ years to moderize, not enough capacity, not enough minerals and raw material, it goes on and on....then you have the dope calling himself the president just whipping out the pen and telling us its gonna happen in a year or two...the definition of clueless. MAYBE, in a bout 30 years IF all that gets solved...

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Batteries are not the same as gasoline, electricity is the same as gasoline and you can't reuse it.
Batteries and fuel tanks are the same, a storage device for the fuel that is expended and we have been recycling autos for generations. EV's are NOT zero emissions, their emissions are released prior to use instead of during. If we put a big collector on the tailpipe of an ICE and released the emissions later and not during use would that make it zero emissions? I think not.
Thanks for writing this . I was about to launch into this.

A battery is a "gas tank" effectively, and a damn bit more expensive one too.

Tim. Y.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys Diesel
I was always disappointed that hydrogen powered vehicles have dropped by the way side, but EVs will continue to have market growth. Technology will continue to improve, as will the infrastructure and manufacturing. I'm fine with getting a Hybrid, but not ready to make the pure EV leap anytime soon, as my wife and I do make long road trips several times a year.

Truthfully, most folks don't drive all that far from their homes, with the occasional long distance drive. Once EV prices drop enough (which hopefully with manufacturing improvements they will) I can see EVs making sense for them as a primary commuter car. By the same token, I know several folks who do drives between Phoenix, Las Vegas, and LA that have no issues driving their Teslas between cities, and like the "recharge breaks" to stretch their legs, and grab a bite.

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/average-miles-driven-per-year/

If EVs didn't make long term sense, why have companies with large delivery fleets go EV? https://tinyurl.com/2cjvxznp

As for the future of power generation, EPRI (https://www.epri.com/ ), the Electric Power Research Institute, is one of those groups that is focused on making the power infrastructure ready for the increased power needs across the US. As with anything, there are fits and starts.

While coal is still one of the main resources for power generation, it's continuing to have a year over year decline in usage, as other resources are being used. https://www.csis.org/analysis/phasing-out-coal-us-electricity-increasingly-regional-challenge

In the meantime, I loving my diesel Willys. It will be interesting to see what the future brings.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
LMFAO, Ive been saying this for awhile, since I work in the electric production industry...not enough infrastructure, the grid is in poor shape and will take 15+ years to moderize, not enough capacity, not enough minerals and raw material, it goes on and on....then you have the dope calling himself the president just whipping out the pen and telling us its gonna happen in a year or two...the definition of clueless. MAYBE, in a bout 30 years IF all that gets solved...
Shhh, if you go talking these sorts of things from an informed position you’ll get yourself cancelled!

Seriously people go do a little research, this isn’t a new position. There are a lot of very smart people who have been saying this for years. Ever notice all the things around you that run on batteries, like maybe the device you’re reading this on? Yeah, they consume the same resources too.
Sponsored