First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Building engineer
Just got a call from Gupton, because of the latest clutch recall there has been a stop sale placed on all manual trans gladiators. Sigh, the waiting game begins...

Updated with news article: https://www.consumerreports.org/car...nd-gladiator-again-for-fire-risk-a1115008653/

Jeep Recalls Wrangler SUVs and Gladiator Pickups Again for Fire Risk
In vehicles with manual transmissions, part of the clutch assembly may overheat, which could cause a fire and leave hazardous debris on the road
Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
That sucks donkeyballs

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
What now?? I had mine done once (2020 model) a year or so ago. Should I expect another recall notice?

When the original clutch wears out I’ll go Centerforce.

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Bummer. How hard it is to make an manual transmission that works properly and lasts 200k these days. This was something that was very doable 30yrs ago. This takes me back to my sweet 2009 regular cab Tacoma, classic bench seat and all the glorious cheapness of Toyota... They had Luk and Asin making the pressure plate for them... The Luk had more 'fingers' on the plate, which led them to be weaker and warp causing slipping during normal driving acceleration.

WTF.... The autos keep getting better and the manuals (except in the Tacoma! my 2018 TRD Off-road auto was a steaming pile of garbage) keep getting worse, poop.

Sponsored

Chestnut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 WRX, 2017 Forester XT, 2021 JTO
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Waiting to see what the fix is. So far i haven't noticed slipping on mine, i don't baby it either. I hope it's a physical fix and not another software one. Well kinda I don't really want to do the whole drop off for a fix and wait thing.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
I have 38K on my original clutch. The clutch is fine. It only slips if your pushing on the pedal.

There are two features of this clutch that might tend to exacerbate less skilled MT owners tendency to abuse a clutch.

1) Dual mass flywheel that makes it super easy to stall at low rpm/takeoff.
2) Dual plate clutch that feels mushy until its bedded in, 5k in my case.

The dual plate clutch is why the pedal is light while still having excellent grip.
Sadly the light pedal makes it all the easier to excessively slip trying to avoid the stall.

I suspect the primary purpose of the dual mass flywheel is make it easy on starter motor.

Wonder is we could just weld up that mess.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I suspect the primary purpose of the dual mass flywheel is make it easy on starter motor.
To my knowledge: it's not just the primary purpose, it's the sole purpose. Another thing ruined by ASS

Sponsored

ACTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.advancedclutch.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JKUR, 2003 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
President and head cheerleader at ACT
A dual-mass flywheel has unique torsional dampening characteristics that reduce transmitting engine pulses to the transmission, therefore reducing gear rattle noise. Also by putting the dampening before the clutch, solid center discs can be used which lowers loads on the synchronizers. I don't see these benefits as applicable to the Jeep JL/JT and the Aisin transmission, especially given the tradeoffs.

OP
OP
Fawkes

Fawkes

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Building engineer
What now?? I had mine done once (2020 model) a year or so ago. Should I expect another recall notice?

Yes, Mine is also a 2020. I read you will indeed get another notice. They dont have the fix yet.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Where's my 8speed sequential with carbon multiplate clutch !!!
(And regular flywheel of course)

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Don’t wait. Centerforce is awesome!!

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
Many MT vehicles have dual mass flywheels. My previous 3 vehicles all had them with stock clutches and there were no issues related to drivability. I dont think the DMF has anything to do with the ASS or drivability on this platform. I believe the drivability and stall-happy nature of these is 100% related to the twin disk clutch setup and for some of us, the really tall stock gearing. I have zero evidence to support this, but this is my opinion from driving 500,000+ miles on other vehicles with DMFs with no discernible difference in drivability between single and dual mass. Maybe FCA will pick something from the LuK catalog instead of just doing another reflash.. wishful thinking.
Sponsored