Tacoma vs. Gladiator

Jeepbreath

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Alfa Romeo stelvio
I had a Tacoma, for about a year. It was under powered, I thought the interior was very underwhelming, but most of all I never got used to the claustrophobic interior and horrible seating position. Not to mention it’s not a convertible pick up truck
Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)

gladtohave

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Online sales
My Tacoma just got totaled and I'm thinking about switching to a gladiator. I went with the Tacoma originally over the Gladiator because it was about 10 grand cheaper. Anybody went from a Tacoma to a gladiator? Glad you did it or regret it?
Dude you want a Gladiator that's why you are here . Get one I did and love it . I did test drive a off road taco and nothing about it screamed buy me and the Gladiator did .

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
78,000 trouble free miles so far and I use my JT as a truck (read: I am not easy on it).

I’ve owned Toyota trucks and cars, they are good But they still have their issues like any other vehicle.

I can tell you for a fact that no Toyota truck would be doing what I’ve done with my 2020 (purchased October 2019). I’ve just driven 1200 miles hauling a 14 foot enclosed trailer loaded with up to 7000 lbs (600 mile trip) no load less than 5000 lbs in high winds, rain, 104* heat and cruised at 65-70mph (except in 60 MPH side wind). 10 mpg average… my jeep is on 3.5” RE lift with back end sagged to the bump stops (RE extended bump stops off.; No, I am not happy with that and the shop was supposed to put HD rear overland rated springs on the JT). I monitored all the vitals like a hawk and the Jeep did the job flawlessly (I’ve owned diesel one ton trucks and hauled some heavy stuff for many years).

🤔 oh and Toyota Trucks will never do it with the top down either! 🤣

OH, and I’m on 37’s, 4:10 gears, with JB RTT XXL on full height rack (250lbs).

loved it when I’d pass any newer Yota truck, Tacoma or Tundra as they struggled with their lighter (most times much lighter) load up hills on the interstate.

No, IMOP with real world experience in both trucks, the Toyota Tacoma does not hold a candle to the JT. I don’t even think it is fair to Toyota to compare it to the JT.

FF034226-5227-4290-9299-98DA14C6A6A6.jpeg

1697CF6D-07C6-4AC9-9810-6D14FDF2817F.jpeg

22DB5CD6-3357-4979-B91B-C33DF48B8E46.jpeg

43720A06-2CF5-4021-9129-143E4997CDF1.jpeg

A259FD0D-6EFC-468D-B315-E38289359A59.jpeg

1DAD4D49-89F9-40BB-BE70-16D462046900.jpeg

dos0711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
The Gladiator is a jack of all trades and a master of none...which is better than a master of one.

Sponsored

Wango's Tango

First Name
w
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AEV Gladiator
Occupation
self employed
For me it comes down to what I need a truck to do, and what extra it can do, and above all else is it comfortable.
Had a Taco for a short time, even the xtra cab was too small. To me, small trucks feel like I am in a car. Low seat, legs stretched out in front of me. I hate this. Which is why do not own a car.
Drove 1/2 tons for a while, but for work and play, full size were a better fit. Haul better, tow better, more room and can be made as capable offroad.

Had a jeep for a long time(CJ-7) left it on a lot in 1990, regretted that choice every day.
Wanted another one, but don't really like the four doors, and am now a "truck" guy.
When i saw the JT, i new what i was going to get one. Once i heard about the diesel, i was all in. Had hoped for more of a Scrambler type, but feel the Gladiator is close enough.

Not crapping on the Tacos, or Tundra, but you either get the "Jeep thing" or you don't. Three good friends have Tacos, all are solid, one has a fair amount of mods and performs well offroad. Never would i have bought a little truck if not for the Gladiator.

Mine hauls recovery gear and a light camping setup, and has pulled our off-road trailer well. But i don't expect it to act like a 1 ton diesel full size. It's a jeep first and foremost. It just has the perk of a small bed, and can tow a bit.
I fit in the Gladiator, it has more of a truck interior to me. The Taco feels like a car.
Both have a solid reputation.
Not really a tough choice imo, which fits better and ticks off the right boxes.
Wife was skeptical, until the top panels came off this spring, once the top and doors come off, i'm betting her car gets traded in on a jeep for her as well.
Good luck with your choice, can't go wrong either way.

jbmdux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
My Tacoma just got totaled and I'm thinking about switching to a gladiator. I went with the Tacoma originally over the Gladiator because it was about 10 grand cheaper. Anybody went from a Tacoma to a gladiator? Glad you did it or regret it?
I had a 2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road, liked it never loved it, the frame was rusting badly and Toyota only wanted to paint it. I replaced it with a 2021 GMC Sierra Elevation package with a 5.3 V8 but I also have a 2020 Gladiator S. I like the Gladiator far better than the Tacoma. The Gladiator gets superior highway mpg and they are even, for city mpg. The bed size is comparable but I give the edge to the Gladiator because it is deeper and with a tonneau cover that is important. The back seat in the Gladiator has more room the seats are equally uncomfortable. Off road the Gladiator wins again for obvious reasons. My Tacoma said "off-road" but I really don't understand why. The only plus I give to the Tacoma is the interior noise levels, it is notably quieter.
This is the Gladiator sire so I will not expound about the Sierra being light years better than the Tacoma.

jbmdux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
Agreed, vehicles today are miles ahead in reliability compared to years gone by, but if we review empirical data, Toyota probably has the edge. Although, they and Honda did get caught covering up warranty claims a few years back. However, it’s probably a game they all play.
Nobody plays the warranty claim game like Honda. I have had 4 Hondas, the 82 Accord was great, the 87 was not, the 1999 Odyssey dropped the tranny at 15 k and the 2006 Pilot knew its way to the dealer. Never again.

jetrocker

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon, C7 Corvette, MGB, AH Sprite
Occupation
Owner - Auto Service Center
My personal saga... had a 2019 Taco, got rid of it and bought 2021 Gladiator. Reasons = hated the slow, draggy auto trans in the Taco.... lethagic shifts and it always wanted to get to 6th (btw, jeep has 8!)as soon as possible. I assume to meet the EPA gas goals. Secondly, the damn floor board is so high that I drove all the time with my knees way up into the steering wheel, and I'm only 5'11". Plus, styling on Taco is ancient. Super happy with Jeep.

stewmaster

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I had a 2007 Tacoma that I bought from the original owner in 2015. It had 44k on it. I did all the work on it myself and enjoyed doing it. It was a manual transmission and I really had to wind it up to feel like it had any power. After I sold it for the second kid I dreamt of the new TRD Pro. I went to the dealer in early 2020 and sat in one. I was underwhelmed by everything. The gas mileage, the seat sitting so low, visibility, etc. I was also peeved when the dealer told me that getting LED headlights was pretty much luck of the draw and I couldn’t ask for them. (Not sure if that was true) I wasn’t even tempted to test drive it. I went and test drove a JT rubicon and a sport. I was amazed by both and the rear seat seemed much more comfortable. March of this year we took delivery of our 22 Sport S turbo diesel that I built with exactly what I wanted on it. We have 3 (yes 3, thanks COVID lockdown) car seats in the back seat as my wife insisted it be her truck. We take it off road, road trips, grocery store, the park and everywhere else. I love driving it. I will say my suspension is too squishy and I will upgrade it for a better handling ride. But the price of aftermarket parts for a gladiator compared to the Tacoma is pennies on the dollar, not to mention the vast amount of suppliers.
I miss my Tacoma mostly because of the relationship I kindled with it wrenching. The JT is like a Lego truck, two or three bolts and you’re done (except for removing the fog lights from the stock bumper). I love it and stay way more comfortable in the driver seat on long rides than I ever did in the low seat of the Tacoma.
Jeep Gladiator Tacoma vs. Gladiator ED125524-B5D8-4C87-AE88-B5A8AB96A10C
Jeep Gladiator Tacoma vs. Gladiator 96A92F26-B0BF-4386-9F05-35D3FB46B63C

Sponsored

22_Sarge_Sport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Thanks for the link. That cushion is about 1 inch thick, does it really do much to cushion the ride? I also feel the seats are a little stiff for long distance driving and I'm looking for a cushion. Currently I'm using a 2.5 inch cushion from a chair in the house. IT is a little clunky in its shape and outer dimensions but seems to work pretty well at cushioning. It is not memory foam just regular foam. Thanks for any insight you have.

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I looked at the Taco and the Ranger and the Colorado and the JT. They all had their thing, mostly everything was a lot cheaper than the JT. The comments by everyone about the Taco were almost my feeling to a tee. I liked the reliability and the price and the look of some tricked out Tacos, but it ended there. The JT has the most important thing that the others don't, THE DOORS AND THE TOP COME OFF REALLY EASILY. I came from a 1998 TJ 4.0L manual transmission so I knew all about being naked and I liked it. Worth every extra penny the JT cost me. Have fun!

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Thanks for the link. That cushion is about 1 inch thick, does it really do much to cushion the ride? I also feel the seats are a little stiff for long distance driving and I'm looking for a cushion. Currently I'm using a 2.5 inch cushion from a chair in the house. IT is a little clunky in its shape and outer dimensions but seems to work pretty well at cushioning. It is not memory foam just regular foam. Thanks for any insight you have.
It doesn't really cushion the ride. It just makes the seat bearable for long stretches. I can last probably 10 hours or so in the seat.

We tried a couple other ones on AMZN that probably would have worked if the seats could be lowered a bit. The extra height kinda made it awkward. But the thicker the cushion, the less you feel the seat heaters (if you have them).

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
It doesn't really cushion the ride. It just makes the seat bearable for long stretches. I can last probably 10 hours or so in the seat.

We tried a couple other ones on AMZN that probably would have worked if the seats could be lowered a bit. The extra height kinda made it awkward. But the thicker the cushion, the less you feel the seat heaters (if you have them).
Thanks for the reply, yes height might be an issue, have seat heater but most my long trips are in the warmer months. Thanks again for the help!!
Sponsored