Sponsored

The most important accessory you can buy

Guns_N_Rosaries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Edition
I see a lot of posts about the thousands of dollars of accessories people are getting on their Gladiators, but I want to make sure everyone knows that the most important accessory you can get is to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a good dash cam. I was going through some threads the other day, and I saw a bunch of posts about getting cracked and chipped windshields due to trucks kicking rocks.

While I didn't work for the DOT, I worked with the DOT for about 10 years a while back, and one of the things they told me is that if you're hauling anything, you are 100% responsible for your load. Every speck of dust, every grain of sand. Those stickers the truckers put on the back of their trailers that say "Not responsible for broken windshields" are as valid as me putting a sticker on the back of my truck that says, "If you read this, you must pay me $100."

My family has had 3 windshields replaced paid for by trucking companies because they didn't tarp their gravel or cover a load. My dad had a bolt that, I kid you not, was the size of flashlight fly out of the back of a metal recycle truck and smash into his windshield. It imbedded into the windshield. He took some pics of the truck company and all related numbers, and after a week of calling around and internet research we finally found them (they try to make it hard to find out a contact number). They tried to pull that "not responsible" crap until we sent them a picture of the bolt still in the windshield and told them the DOT would be really interested to see that, and the next day a mobile windshield van pulled up and replaced the windshield.

A dash cam will save you the hassle and headache of them denying it. Just send them the video if they argue with you, and tell them you'd be happy to send it to the DOT as well, and they can mediate if needed.

Sorry for the soapbox, but I just had the experience yesterday of a guy hauling an empty trailer he must have used for transporting yellow iron, and it was full of rocks and gravel that must have fallen off whatever he had on before. The guy flies past me, pulls in front of me, hits a bump, and unloads a sandbox of rocks all over my 3 month old, 1,000 miles on the odometer Gladiator. I was fuming, but I had my dash cam, and caught his license plate and company name. THANKFULLY, somehow there wasn't even a scratch or chip.

Be careful out there, and DO NOT let lazy haulers who refuse to cover their loads, or clean and brush out their flatbeds get away with destroying your property.

Edit: I just wanted to make sure that I didn't come off as anti-trucker. I think they're some of the hardest working people out there, but there are definitely some unsavory ones that take shortcuts and just don't care (just like with any field).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Yes...looking for one that auto starts recording when the engine is fired up. I don't want to have to push a record button every time I jump in the JT.
My Thinkware Q800 Pro is hardwired and works just like that.

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I use a BlackVue cam that’s hard wired in, starts regular recording when I start driving and has a park mode that I use as well with a kill if bat drops below a certain voltage so I don’t drain it. So far really happy with it and I have a data sim as well so incident videos go to the cloud, has geo tracking, can send alerts and I can see a live feed on my phone as long as the sim has a data connection.

Sponsored

JMBurgess

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Sting Gray Mojave
I've had Blueskysea dash cams in my last two vehicles and think they're a good option for the price. Their software is not as premium as Thinkware or Blackvue, but they've worked well for me and have surprisingly good support for a China-based Amazon seller. I'm running the B4k dual dashcam in my Mojave hardwired to the factory aux switch wires under the passenger side. I like that the rear cam can easily disconnect when I take the top off and the front cam isn't a huge brick shape. For a super small form factor their older B1W works well. The B4K Front+rear+CPL+hardwire kit runs about $165 plus tax if you catch it on sale.

B4K front cam
Rear cam
Hardwire kit
Polarizing filter

Montana_Wildcat

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ram Power Wagon
Occupation
#BBN #RaiderNation
The Nextbase 222 works well for me. No rear camera, though. Records whenever the engine is running and has bump alert record, too.

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
Thinkware Q800Pro front and rear cam. I highly suggest any thinkware product.

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
I 100% agree with this - Not only for rock chips, but shenanigans in general. I, unfortunately, spend a decent amount of time driving in the city, and near misses are a daily occurrence for me.

I have been using this dash cam for about a year now and I absolutely love it. One of the best things about this is that the camera mounts to the base magnetically. If you are running doors off, and want to stash the camera in your glove box or whatever when you park, you dont have to fiddle with cables every time you connect or disconnect - the cable goes to the base, so you can just yank the camera off or stick it back on as needed.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B085JZM3G9

Sponsored

James H

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Jack of all tirades
I've used the HP F560G front & rear cameras in 2 of my vehicles. Really good for the price. Amazon has them for $120 and I paid a local installer another $100 for a clean hardwired install.

HP F560G

atoy74

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Blackvue 2ch. Been running mine for years

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Been running BlackVue cameras since like 2016. Running this in the Gladiator now: https://blackvue.com/product/dr900x-2ch-plus/

What I love about the new 900x series is the built in voltage detection. You basically tap into battery + acc, and it will stay-on till it detects a min voltage level or after a fixed length of time.

The app/wifi connection has gotten much better, too. You can very reliably review videos from your phone (i.e. without removing the SD card).

It's also fun to catch the occasional random things in the sky:

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
How big a SD card do you need? Do most of these record to an SD? Cloud?

ryanlsmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I use a 512gb microSD card because it was cheap enough. Cloud only works/makes sense if you have a mobile hotspot. I'd probably still have one as a backup/hard-copy even if I was uploading.
Sponsored