Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Operations
Vehicle Showcase
I love my overland, do I wish I would have bought a Rubicon now that I’ve been off-roading a bunch with it? Sure. But I bought my Gladiator as a daily driver with a 35 mile commute each way so I wanted something more comfort focused. Leather wrapped everything, dash included, was huge selling point for me, premium audio, proximity door locks, Trac-lock LSD and cold weather package were my non-negotiable features, couldn’t find a Sport on the lot that combination, and Rubicon’s were 5-10k more when I purchased because no dealer had moved off MSRP yet on Rubicon’s while I got the overland under invoice. The overland trim isn’t a “cheap” model or a “cash grab” or “Marketing bullshit” it’s a mid level trim aimed at the daily driver.

Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, upgrade it.
Sponsored

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Based on your use case, the overland may be ideal. This is my 3rd jeep and historically I’ve purchased around the notion of what I think would be neat to achieve. Rock crawling, self-recovery out of viscous pits, rescuing others, oh the freedom! Ahhh the freedom only a rubicon can bring… Given that state of mind, my last JKU was a bare bones rubi. After 6 months of ownership and having conquered only mild trails and really missing some standard features I could have easily afforded had I gone with a sport, I knew it was only a matter of time before I let it go.

Fast forward and I’ve got a very suitable Willys optioned out nicely. We’ve been in some gnarly areas already and never once have I felt I needed more capability.

Point being, you can get an overland capable of 90% of what a rubi can do with a few grand in aftermarket parts. You’re in somewhat of an ideal situation but it sounds like the rubi life lust has a bit of a hold on you. It’s hype, in fact most rubi owners (myself included on JK & JKU) instantly rip out the sloppy suspension anyhow. Enjoy your awesome overland!!!

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Only ever owned one Jeep and it was a JKUSahara. Been shopping for and test driving Gladiators for well over a year now. With that limited experience I can say that your Overland is closest to the Sahara package of the options available. Having driven every model from the S Max Tow to the Overland I feel like the Mojave by far has the best on road ride. Drove six different trucks back to back on the same day, and have driven different ones at different times since and the Mojave is still the direction I’m leaning. By far.
I could live with a Rubicon but if they are a dollar for dollar match when I order I’ll go Mojave.
Having said all of that I’m wavering now on just going with a Wrangler Rubicon with Sky One Touch and keeping my F-350 7.3L PSD.
Might change my mind again if they offer the Gladiator in Tuscadero as I plan on it being my granddaughters when the time comes.
You have a good base. Make what you want of it.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
I hope you're not overthinking it, here.

The base overland isn't where the deal is.
You can't get its popular equipment package:
Leather $1700
Hard top $1600
8.4" + PREM sound $2100
Total $5400
for $3150 on any other trim which automatically bumps the base overland price down $2250 if, and it sounds like you did, get the popular equipment package.

You likely got the best trim with the best options for what you wanted ntm factory incentives until last month were highest on the overland so you likely saved another $2250 there.
(Total discounts of $4500 less than a similarly equipped sport or Rubi)

Also has classy wheels and nice step running boards for the tykes and the missus to get in and out, included in the base price.

I know what it's like to forever think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, and I somehow got screwed on a major purchase, but if you let it marinade, you may find that exactly the truck you want and need found you.

I think you will.

Last edited:

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
This is my take and a way to see how others feel about this situation. I recently bought a Jeep Gladiator Overland and the reason I got the Overland was because I need the truck to go to work and sports for my kids. I don’t need to go off road yet. When I when to the dealership they told me the the Overland was top of the line, same as the Rubicon. I thought that Top of the line was almost everything included. My Jeep came with 8.4 “ radio with good speakers, also LEDs inside the Jeep only, Leather seats and black hard top. Now what it does not have that I this a “top of the line” vehicle should have. LED lights outside, Rubicon wheels and suspension, outlet for the bed, metal bumper and all sensors for safety. I think I was taken to the cleaners because if I had gotten a sport with all the upgrades, it wouldn’t come to the amount of money I paid for this truck. Am I over reacting or do I have a point?
Well I wouldn’t say you have a “point” or that you are “overreacting “.
What the situation is, is that you went and bought a vehicle without doing your due diligence and researching the product more.
The top of the line JT is the HighAltitude version of the Overland.
All this information is available online in many sources including the Jeep build and price selection of their website.
So not too sure what you want to hear? Ultimately it’s on you, I mean it’s usually the second most expensive item you purchase in your life after a home, so you have to know what your getting into.
All of the items you mention you didn’t get can be had as options, so you bought a stripped down version of the most expensive model. No ones fault but your own for not “noticing“ what you paid for.

Sponsored

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
The overland is just a cheap Jeep with leather seats and a premium price. Thanks for the reply.
The Overland is far from cheap. Its actually a very good trim although it sounds like your Overland didn't come with most of the feature mine did as well as many others. Mine came with every feature available minus a bed liner, which I ended going with a Line-X one anyways which is better. So YOU may have got a cheap Overland but I wouldn't call Overlands in general cheap. Cant say the same for Sport and Sport S (for my likings)

Shaqeroni

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator & 2021 Jeep JL Wrangler
Occupation
Retired LEO
I wish I did. Trust me, I like the truck but it could have been a different experience if I took my time. Now I’m stuck. Maybe I just sell it and take my time next time.
Check Carvana. Mine is worth more than I paid then order what you want.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
This is my take and a way to see how others feel about this situation. I recently bought a Jeep Gladiator Overland and the reason I got the Overland was because I need the truck to go to work and sports for my kids. I don’t need to go off road yet. When I when to the dealership they told me the the Overland was top of the line, same as the Rubicon. I thought that Top of the line was almost everything included. My Jeep came with 8.4 “ radio with good speakers, also LEDs inside the Jeep only, Leather seats and black hard top. Now what it does not have that I this a “top of the line” vehicle should have. LED lights outside, Rubicon wheels and suspension, outlet for the bed, metal bumper and all sensors for safety. I think I was taken to the cleaners because if I had gotten a sport with all the upgrades, it wouldn’t come to the amount of money I paid for this truck. Am I over reacting or do I have a point?
LOL. Why doesn't my Not-a-Rubcion not have the Rubicon wheels and suspension I wanted?!

Is this your first vehicle by chance? That's like saying why isn't my 340i M package an M3?! It's an expensive BMW 3 series so it should be an M3! Right?!

You never mentioned the *actual* meat the Rubicon has that is different... lockers front and rear, off road +, 4.10 gears, electronic sway bar disconnect.

If you're gripes are over wheels and bumpers then change the wheels and bumpers. Quite easy.

Ankh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator, '10 commander
Occupation
Steel
Vehicle Showcase
Blessed be the trolls, they are not the fruit of the earth. Has anyone else bought a car and didn't know what features/options were/weren't included before handing over the money?

Last edited:

Flip

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Occupation
Design
It’s unfortunate that our society is so accepting of businesses taking advantage of consumers, misleading buyers for financial gain.

Ultimately, we cannot be experts in all things we engage in life. Which is why we go to specialty businesses to assist us with those specific needs.
Since dealerships are the only places to purchase new vehicles, they are definitely a specialty business. So the correct assumption should be that they are experts in this niche business and would assist you with your best interest in mind.

Well, one could only hope.
I am guilty of this perspective and have had it bite me in the rear.
There is no fiduciary in this and most other industries. Business Ethics, a lost art.

That being said, I am an advocate for over researching everything. Knowledge is power and can help prevent situations like the OP.

Sponsored

USMC-SSGT

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Aluminum tubing transport
I love my overland, do I wish I would have bought a Rubicon now that I’ve been off-roading a bunch with it? Sure. But I bought my Gladiator as a daily driver with a 35 mile commute each way so I wanted something more comfort focused. Leather wrapped everything, dash included, was huge selling point for me, premium audio, proximity door locks, Trac-lock LSD and cold weather package were my non-negotiable features, couldn’t find a Sport on the lot that combination, and Rubicon’s were 5-10k more when I purchased because no dealer had moved off MSRP yet on Rubicon’s while I got the overland under invoice. The overland trim isn’t a “cheap” model or a “cash grab” or “Marketing bullshit” it’s a mid level trim aimed at the daily driver.

Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, upgrade it.
Same story to mine. Mine is my daily driver and top priority was having a “nice” vehicle to spend some time in. Yes, I know it’s still a jeep. I had features that I’ve come to like which were deal breakers and my overland checks all the boxes. LED exterior, prox key and locks, heated seats, 8.4, adaptive cruise (it’s terrible and a story for another thread.) My overland is loaded with every piece.

NOW… the outside just needed that rubicon touch. I own a fully decked 73 CJ5 for wheeling so this doesn’t need to be that. 35” tires, wheels, 2” lift, bumpers, and steps to replace those ugly 50s Ford looking full length stock ones.

Done (never done) and done. All the amenities and comforts I need and the look I want. Just took4 months of research.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Probably should have placed a factory order and chose what you wanted for options on any trim out there.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
Did you look at the car before buying? LED headlights and black vs colored hard top are easily visible from outside. Not much research required.

Dont worry, I sure you got your value when they sold you undercoating and rust protection.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
also, for those questioning the overland's off raod capabilities, remember that all Gladiators are trail rated. My brother's jeep below is a relatively complete build including a supercharger and some expensive hardware. In stock, unmodified form, I've taken my Overland out with him and had no issues doing about 80- 85% of what his does. (conservative.) Part of the remaining 20% was due more to my lack of experience.
The bigger difference was the ease with which his rig could do it compared to mine, but I still kept up. Sure, his jeep was more capable, but not even jeep sells a rig like his.
Jeep Gladiator The Overland big lie!! IMG_8599

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
I bought the Willys trimmed model and have been modding it as needed since Day One.
I found that, with a little research (a ton of it done on this forum) and fortuitous sales, I can option mine aftermarket cheaper than if it were dealer optioned. Often with better parts. Lots of inexpensive take offs available in the marketplace too.
Join a club. Hang out with other Jeepers. They’re really quite helpful.
Build the Jeep you want as you figure out exactly what your wants and needs are.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.