Sponsored

Tips to prevent adding regular gas in the Ecodiesel engine?

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
So this works even with putting the smaller diameter gas nozzle in the diesel fill opening?
No.. the flap is locked from moving.. when you insert the right diameter nozzle it hits 3 tabs at the same time and unlocks the flap.. you can’t mess it up.. it is idiot proof!

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Ecodiesel Gladiator Rubicon JT370 AEV pkg.
@Sniper, will AEV be using new diesel-rated springs, or their original ones? Just curious as I thought diesel lift kits were hard to come by right now. Guess you've got a few weeks for them to catch up, too.

1611247834784.png
Enth Degree who is owned by AEV where as they engineered and tested a certain Progressive Rate Suspension Springs and control arms as oppose to linear springs for the diesel Gladiator. You are correct they have not advetised to release the package yet because they are not ready and don't have all the parts yet to take orders but they are going to soon... So I'm kind of honored and supposed to have the first released vehicle with this package and the dealers are following. It's not that I'm special it's simply a perfect timing issue... I have been spec'ing out my vehicle for over two years waiting for certain things to evolve such as the diesel. I was fortunate my internal contact at FAC informed me when the diesel was going to be released when it was in the design stage so I waited... The timing works out with AEV and myself that I'm in line right before the dealers & public... Specifically the problem with taking orders and lining up a single order before the dealers is that the wrap bumper that covers the tire oppose to the stubby has not been stamped out yet because the structural design has just been completed... I'm literally having mine built and it's going to sit waiting for that new bumper design with the extended "ears". Most people won't let a vehicle like this sit waiting for one specific item and they don't want a crowd of vehicles sitting waiting because it's not conducive to JIT (Just In Time manufacturing) space etc.... So I'm having this factory built at FAC then will time the modification with AEV so that when it's almost completed the bumper will deliver and be installed.

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No worries on filling up with the wrong fuel... the diesel fuel nozzle diameter is larger than a gas one and the diesel has a flap that locks into place and unless the right nozzle is placed correctly then the flap will not move..

stopped at a station by my house and it was my first fill up after I brought it home... nozzle was the wrong size and the flap in the filler would not unlock.. called my salesman and asked him.. he said try a different pump.. drove to the 7-11 across the street and it worked. The first stationer had gas handles on the diesel so they would not unlock the flap..

I do not know which part of this is incorrect but I work with a guy who filled his diesel Cherokee Jeep with gas and ruined his engine... It cost him $7 or $8 thousand to get it replaced. I see it makes the guy disgusted to discuss it so I never asked what the details were.

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No.. the flap is locked from moving.. when you insert the right diameter nozzle it hits 3 tabs at the same time and unlocks the flap.. you can’t mess it up.. it is idiot proof!
I do not know which part of this is incorrect but I work with a guy who filled his diesel Cherokee Jeep with gas and ruined his engine... It cost him $7 or $8 thousand to get it replaced. I see it makes the guy disgusted to discuss it so I never asked what the details were.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep talks about this in length in the manual, starting on page 481. The answer to this is, it depends.

Up to B5, no problem. B6 to B20 can be used, but the maintenance schedule is subject to shorter intervals, 10,000 miles reduced down to 8,000 miles and fuel filter changed every second oil change, not exceeding 16,000 miles. B21 or higher is not approved and has the warning that the engine may suffer severe damage if operated with concentrations of biodiesel higher than 20%.

The biofuel being blended into standard diesel has requirements... so making your own from old french fry oil would likely not meet that standard, The standard is discussed on page 483.

Then there is the warning that biodiesel fuel may gel or solidify at low ambient temperatures, and some have poor oxidation stability which can result in long term storage problems. It also warns about biodiesel having a natural affinity to water and water accelerates microbial growth.
This is priceless... I have been known to not read instructions from time to time... I will google the manual and have a couple months to study it. Thanks!

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Thought we was talking of a Gladiator?
I only have experience with the gladiator.. guessing I assumed since we are on the Glafiator forum the discussions was to reflect the gladiator? ..
now if you are talking of another brand I have no idea what nozzle they will allow but I can tell you that the Gas nozzle will not go past the flap on a gladiator diesel.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
When I first read this it reminded me of two young dumb 2 LT's. That took off on a un-authorised road trip from Germany down to Italy and did the opposite of what your worried about. I remember how pissed off our company commander was. He had to pick them up. I bet that was a interesting ride back.

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thought we was talking of a Gladiator?
I only have experience with the gladiator.. guessing I assumed since we are on the Glafiator forum the discussions was to reflect the gladiator? ..
now if you are talking of another brand I have no idea what nozzle they will allow but I can tell you that the Gas nozzle will not go past the flap on a gladiator diesel.
Its a Jeep product and the same engine as the gladiator I assumed it would be set up the same. The result is the same he f^&ked up, and it cost him over $7000. Something people should learn from.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Once I had some vinyl text made up that read "Diesel Fuel Only" and applied it directly above the fuel door just in case my wife or somebody else borrowed it and decided to put fuel in it. HOPEFULLY having it in print right in front of them would prevent that mistake. That was my thinking.

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
See the bottom half ring? Then the two upper tabs? Those will depress with the filler nozzle is pressed In. Unlocks the flap (silver disc).
If his looks like that then it’s next to impossible to mess it up.. almost.. given some kind of failure.

07B68F26-A8E5-448E-9D7B-71FD5D73A4DC.jpeg

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
My Motorcycle club had a member nicknamed Diesel, you know why.

OP
OP
Sniper

Sniper

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See the bottom half ring? Then the two upper tabs? Those will depress with the filler nozzle is pressed In. Unlocks the flap (silver disc).
If his looks like that then it’s next to impossible to mess it up.. almost.. given some kind of failure.

Jeep Gladiator Tips to prevent adding regular gas in the Ecodiesel engine? 07B68F26-A8E5-448E-9D7B-71FD5D73A4DC
This answers everything. I sort of want to ask the guy who put gas in his and ruined his engine if he has this but I'm not because I don;t want to rub salt in his $7000 wound.

Thanks
Sponsored