Sponsored

Totally screwed: Installed new Auxiliary Battery and now truck won’t start with multiple errors

Papa Bear

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Billet Silver
Well I just installed a new auxiliary battery last night and have run into several problems since.
First was the “anti-theft” code which presented itself on the UConnect screen. You need to have this if you do any work on your battery systems and the only way to get it is from dealer with the S/N and part# of the radio! This requires either the Jeep being at the dealership so they can verify ownership then obtain from Stellantis on your behalf or knowing it ahead of time. But, my next issue is that I apparently hooked something up incorrectly because now the vehicle won’t start. Instead I am getting every light on my driver gauges illuminated and my axle lock buttons are flashing as is my disconnect swaybar light.
Is there anyone who can help me figure out where to begin? I followed [Banned Site]’s YouTube video on how to install the auxiliary battery and followed it to the word. Now I’m stranded and could really use some help.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Billet Silver
Well I just installed a new auxiliary battery last night and have run into several problems since.
First was the “anti-theft” code which presented itself on the UConnect screen. You need to have this if you do any work on your battery systems and the only way to get it is from dealer with the S/N and part# of the radio! This requires either the Jeep being at the dealership so they can verify ownership then obtain from Stellantis on your behalf or knowing it ahead of time. But, my next issue is that I apparently hooked something up incorrectly because now the vehicle won’t start. Instead I am getting every light on my driver gauges illuminated and my axle lock buttons are flashing as is my disconnect swaybar light.
Is there anyone who can help me figure out where to begin? I followed [Banned Site]’s YouTube video on how to install the auxiliary battery and followed it to the word. Now I’m stranded and could really use some help.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
First thing I would try is to disconnect both batteries. Charge each one, then reconnect them and try again.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you went in through the top to replace the aux battery, you may want to check and make sure everything mated back together correctly with no damage. Check the fuse box and make sure everything is pushed in and properly seated. Check the high capacity fuse assembly to see if any of those popped while changing the battery.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is it still in warranty? Why did you replace the Aux battery, and did you also replace the main battery?

Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
make sure all your connections are good first. Then check the main fuses on the distribution box.

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT-Sport S, 2021 JT-Sport S
Pull the fuse for the remote start stop battery and then try to start the vehicle.

Jackpaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Did you go through the wheel well or do it correctly by removing the main then access under fuse box?

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT-Sport S, 2021 JT-Sport S
Did you go through the wheel well or do it correctly by removing the main then access under fuse box?
If he went through the top your right about wanting to check all the plugs that go to the TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module).

If you have a multimeter you could also verify the voltage on your batteries. The aux battery you could check at the fusible link at the TIPM to ground.

Jackpaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
If he went through the top your right about wanting to check all the plugs that go to the TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module).

If you have a multimeter you could also verify the voltage on your batteries. The aux battery you could check at the fusible link at the TIPM to ground.
Absolutely, I’m more worried that he did this through the wheel well….whole different can of worms if that’s the case.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The anti-theft code request from the radio should only happen if the radio is installed in another vehicle or it cannot verify your vehicles VIN on the CAN BUS. I think the latter is your problem. Like others said, you probably got a problem with the TIPM fuse box hook up if you went top down.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Absolutely, I’m more that he did this through the wheel well….whole different can of worms if that’s the case.
What? The wheel well is faster, easier, and less risky.... what can of worms? Yes I've been in there myself. I've also taken off the PDC to access the firewall grommet for wiring....

Jackpaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
What? The wheel well is faster, easier, and less risky.... what can of worms? Yes I've been in there myself. I've also taken off the PDC to access the firewall grommet for wiring....
If you did this without issue, then no worries;)
And by the way, I have to ask, how was it faster to go through the wheel well? A couple douche bags on YouTube did it? Is That the proof? Reality is that removing the main battery, a few bolts, and then the aux battery is super easy, not sure removing the wheel and everything else, potentially leaving the main connected or frying other things is an appropriate loophole for true process.
I’m a bit salty tonight

Last edited:

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar problem after replacing my main battery. I was very careful about arcing anything so I know that was not the problem, what we did find using the dealership tester that one cell was shorted and even though showed 12.6 volts had 0 cranking amps ( never saw this before)and the mega fuse blown. The only thing I can figure is the battery caused the problem but no way to prove it

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I went through the wheel well too. Fast and easy. Didn't even have to pull the fender.
Sponsored