Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
So if one were to start with a Max Tow, put larger tires on it, and a Rubicon take-off suspension, or just put a lift on it, what does that do to the towing capacity?
I'll piggy back of @Gren71 and say if you do a rubi suspension keep the rear springs on the Max Tow, they will hold more weight than the Rubicon's will. I added front rubi springs and a 2.5" ReadyLift to mine and rubi shocks. Once you go to 35's tire wise your going to start losing tow capacity, couldn't tell you how much. I'm on 37's on mine right now and I'll be towing about 5,000lbs of rock again soon so I'll be able to give some feedback on it compared to last year on 35's.
Sponsored

tmcarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I'm enjoying this thread. So, here's my 2 cents. In 2018 I purchased a JL, last Jeep was a CJ5 thirty years ago. We loved the JL. But I have a small camper (3200# wet)and a boat (4000# wet). JL handled the camper but boat was out of range so I never towed it. Then came the Gladiator. So, I sold the JL (my that thing held it's value) and a 2015 3500 pickup and purchased a Max Tow Gladiator. Only mods are running boards (not sliders, if I am sliding on the undercarriage, I am outside my skills limit), tri-fold tonneau, air bags (just to bring back to normal ride height (does not increase GVW)), and Rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks. I could not be happier.
My main goal is towing, not crawling, so my next step is a wider 32"ish (maybe 10.5x33 or 12.5) tire. I don't want to affect final drive ratio. I want to stay with OEM wheel to maintain weight capacity so I'm probably restricted to the 10.5. I'm sometimes in mud and sand where the extra floatation would help.
I have towed the camper and the boat on over twenty outings, several over 2000 miles round trip and have had no issues (over 14k miles in six months). I've not tracked what gear at what RPM, or other granular specs, but I have been pulling boats and camper combinations for almost 50 years and my comfort level towing with the Gladiator is high. It doesn't tow as effortlessly as the 450hp 3500 that weights 1500# more, but it is more fun to drive once I reach my destination.
If anyone has any recommendations as far as tires/wheels I would appreciate any information. Also, I am interested in mounting a winch...just in case, and I don't have any information as to whether or not an after-market bumper affects air bag deployment. This is a great forum, I do a lot more reading than posting, but I get a wealth of great information here. I'll shut up now and look forward to any response.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Only mods are running boards (not sliders, if I am sliding on the undercarriage, I am outside my skills limit), tri-fold tonneau, air bags (just to bring back to normal ride height (does not increase GVW)), and Rancho 9000xl adjustable shocks. I could not be happier.
The Mopar side steps will support the truck on a dirt hill if high centered, but I think it's really still riding on the frame.

Sponsored

Firsttime jeeper

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Just my opinion. I bought a new 2021 Gladiator sport s with max tow package. Took the camper out today. 26ā€™ Catalina. I do have weight distribution and anti sway hitch. Also had the integrated brake control installed by the dealer. I must say, I was very impressed. Towed better than my 2018 F-150 did. No bounce, and no sway. Didnā€™t seam to lack power either. Iā€™ve towed with a 2016 Silverado, 2017 F-150, and a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. Have to say, I think this was by far, my best towing experience.

4BFF2C88-99AF-4544-9A48-12654EA3F591.jpeg

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Anytime a towing thread comes up, I think it's important to mention the difference between practical towing capability and legal towing capability. Some guys care about one, some guys care about the other. But they are two different things, so make sure you understand how payload directly affects towing.

As far as the Overland vs. Max Tow... the critical differences are that the Max Tow gets deeper gearing, wider axles for stability in cross winds, a higher capacity cooling fan, and much heavier duty coil springs to maintain a more level stance when loaded. It also has a 35% higher stamped payload rating, which GREATLY increases the legal amount you can tow with two people in the truck. With the narrow build of the Jeeps, you're going to want as much track width as possible for towing a camper or enclosed trailer. I can attest that cross winds are hell while towing with a Jeep.

Based upon the research I've done, I can't see any evidence that one model of JT has different brake rotors than another model. All Gladiators seem to share the same brakes.

Chilli

First Name
Wolfgang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLADIATOR RUBICON
Occupation
RETIRED
Hey "Hockeypilot44'', be sure to post up what you took that neat boat to the key for.

Otherwise we know you didn't really go fishing

Sponsored

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
Just my opinion. I bought a new 2021 Gladiator sport s with max tow package. Took the camper out today. 26ā€™ Catalina. I do have weight distribution and anti sway hitch. Also had the integrated brake control installed by the dealer. I must say, I was very impressed. Towed better than my 2018 F-150 did. No bounce, and no sway. Didnā€™t seam to lack power either. Iā€™ve towed with a 2016 Silverado, 2017 F-150, and a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. Have to say, I think this was by far, my best towing experience.

Jeep Gladiator Towing 6500lbs with the Overland 85C7DBD0-0BF6-4A3D-A614-42BF54D6BE26
What model Catalina are you hauling? Curious what tongue weight and dry weight are?

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
This thread makes me want to get a trailer for my 26 foot Scout and tow it to the keys with my gladiator. Just towed a 6000 plus pound trailer this weekend with no issues at all. Used a weight distribution hitch though.

Jeep Gladiator Towing 6500lbs with the Overland 85C7DBD0-0BF6-4A3D-A614-42BF54D6BE26

Very sweet boat...

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
So if one were to start with a Max Tow, put larger tires on it, and a Rubicon take-off suspension, or just put a lift on it, what does that do to the towing capacity?
id say itā€™s. Pretty reasonable to drop your rating to a rubiconā€™s if you use its suspension and then decrease it further based on increases tire size beyond the rubiconā€™s

Last edited: