Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well, here's the thing...

The reason that the Max Towing Group is only offered on the Sport is because the Sport naturally has the highest GVWR due to it's lower curb weight. It's got the possibility of the big payload and towing numbers because of the fact that it's the "stripper" model in the lineup. Same thing happens with full size trucks. The big payload/towing numbers are found on the more simple models.

IF they were to add the EcoDiesel to the Sport, then it would decrease the payload and towing numbers. It is unlikely they'd even offer it with the Max Towing Group, but if they did it would indeed have lower specs.

So that is why I don't think there will ever be a EcoDiesel+Max Towing Group combination.

As far as offering diesel only on higher trim levels, Ford, GM, and FCA have always done this. They ALL make you go up in trim level to get the diesel engine. Yes, it's totally retarded. But, that's what they do. The only exception I can remember is the 2005/06 Jeep KJ Liberty. On those, I was able to purchase the Sport model and add the turbo-diesel package for only $2,800.
Sponsored

OP
OP
overland_chariot
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford expedition
I can understand why they would reserve it to the higher trim levels and have no problem bumping up to get it, so long as it will have the durability and longevity of a diesel. in addition to the trim level question, does anybody think the engine start/stop function will be put on the diesel? I don't think it would make much of a difference on a diesel due to how a diesel motor works. the only reason i could see them putting them on would be for some EPA or other Govt. issue.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
does anybody think the engine start/stop function will be put on the diesel?
Absolutely will have it. My 2016 GC eco has it (although we were able to turn it off without annoying button)

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I can understand why they would reserve it to the higher trim levels and have no problem bumping up to get it, so long as it will have the durability and longevity of a diesel.
I hear ya'. And, since the rumor is that this is a "revised" version of the engine, hopefully it will finally have durability and longevity that diesels are known for. The original version has not had a good reputation at all, particularly in the Ram 1500 where many dealers have seen the ones they've sold come back for major repairs in large percentages.

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
Hmmmm, so, I have been gunning for the diesel in a Sport S with MaxTow b/c I will actually be towing stuff. The general consensus of this thread is that it will only be offered in Overland and Rubi trim (disappointing). However, when i go through the builder on the Jeep site, MaxTow is not available on Overland or Rubi??????? Is this b/c it is standard equip on both or what??

Still holding out hope for diesel SportS with MaxTow!

-Bewildered

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Max Tow pkg not available on Overland. Rubicon has all the equipment of the Max Tow pkg as standard items (well front fenders are higher on Rubicon)

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
My semi-educated opinion is that the Diesel will only be available on Overland and Rubicon trims
What is the basis for that thought?

I think only the base Sport model will be left off the diesel options sheet.

My basis is looking at Jeep.com site and clicking on 'Compare'. The Sport has few options while the top 3 are the ones are the money shots. Sport is entry level and the goal is to force you to move a trim level or more as that is where the profit is.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase

My basis is looking at Jeep.com site and clicking on 'Compare'. The Sport has few options while the top 3 are the ones are the money shots. Sport is entry level and the goal is to force you to move a trim level or more as that is where the profit is.
Rumors on this site have stated so from the same sources that have been pretty much spot on for all the other stuff pre Gladiator reveal. Also if you look at the Grand Cherokee the diesel is only available on upper trims.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Max Tow pkg not available on Overland.
Which is stupid.
(Mostly because that is the exact combo I want)

Also it would be dumb not to offer your most powerful engine on all vehicles with Max Tow capability, regardless of trim level -

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Which is stupid.
(Mostly because that is the exact combo I want)

Also it would be dumb not to offer your most powerful engine on all vehicles with Max Tow capability, regardless of trim level -

Its dumb to us but from a profit stand point is super smart. If forces buyers up market which = more profits.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Until I see evidence that the Rubicon has the same part #s on the coil springs as the Sport with Max Towing package, I do not subscribe to the idea that the Rubicon "already has the Max Towing equipment on it". The payload on the Sport is roughly 60% greater, and the towing rating is 9% greater, putting it in a very different league to someone who plans to actually work the truck hard.

As far as the EcoDiesel and the Max Towing package being combined.. it's almost certainly not going to happen for the 2020 model year, if ever. Same reasons the little baby 2.0L turbo engine isn't offered at all. They had very specific criteria to meet in order to classify the truck at class-leading numbers, and engine cooling was one of the main players. They couldn't get cooling where they wanted with the turbo engines. Since a diesel is obviously a compression ignition engine, it'll run even hotter. Plus, the diesel is HEAVY. Both of those things will preclude it from ever being in the Gladiator with the highest payload/towing ratings.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Until I see evidence that the Rubicon has the same part #s on the coil springs as the Sport with Max Towing package, I do not subscribe to the idea that the Rubicon "already has the Max Towing equipment on it". The payload on the Sport is roughly 60% greater, and the towing rating is 9% greater, putting it in a very different league to someone who plans to actually work the truck hard.

As far as the EcoDiesel and the Max Towing package being combined.. it's almost certainly not going to happen for the 2020 model year, if ever. Same reasons the little baby 2.0L turbo engine isn't offered at all. They had very specific criteria to meet in order to classify the truck at class-leading numbers, and engine cooling was one of the main players. They couldn't get cooling where they wanted with the turbo engines. Since a diesel is obviously a compression ignition engine, it'll run even hotter. Plus, the diesel is HEAVY. Both of those things will preclude it from ever being in the Gladiator with the highest payload/towing ratings.
Okay, yes we need to see spring part numbers but I bet they are the same. The "R" loses payload/towing capacity because it's heavier.

Based on what FCA has done previously with Ram and GC plus what WXman said

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its dumb to us but from a profit stand point is super smart. If forces buyers up market which = more profits.
Now that I think about it, the point is probably moot - the 3.0L would never come with 4.10 gears anyway = thus no Rubi/MaxTow axles unless they regeared (not likely). So what will they put under the Rubi with the 3.0L? (Ram Ecodiesel was 3.55 std & 3.92 optional btw)
Plus the whole "HD Cooling" wouldn't apply, since the diesel requires all the cooling it can get already.

We keep hearing "towing capacity will be 500# less than the 7,600# ooh that suuuux" But does it mean the Overland with the Ecodiesel will be 7K? I'd Happily take that :clap:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, yes we need to see spring part numbers but I bet they are the same. The "R" loses payload/towing capacity because it's heavier.

Based on what FCA has done previously with Ram and GC plus what WXman said
I bet the springs are different. Reason being is the Rubi is designed to flex more offroad and you'll want a softer spring rate for that. In turn its what keeps its payload lower then the Sport S with the same V6. Same reason the ZR2 tows less then the lower trim Colorados.
Sponsored