Turbo lag?

LetzGoState

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
This is my first ever diesel. I live in a place where there should be more intersection stoplights but there aren’t. It means I often have to pick a gap in traffic and get on it to make a left turn. No matter how I seem to give the Gladiator throttle it seems to boost with a burst of speed about mid way to three quarters of the way into a turn. It feels dangerous and uncontrolled. Is there a way to get more linear acceleration from a stop? These left turns are scaring the crap out of my kids and sometimes me. It’s fun going straight, but there has to be a way to do something different and make things more linear or to cause that boost earlier in the turn.
Sponsored

Randonexplosion

First Name
Randon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
This is my first ever diesel. I live in a place where there should be more intersection stoplights but there aren’t. It means I often have to pick a gap in traffic and get on it to make a left turn. No matter how I seem to give the Gladiator throttle it seems to boost with a burst of speed about mid way to three quarters of the way into a turn. It feels dangerous and uncontrolled. Is there a way to get more linear acceleration from a stop? These left turns are scaring the crap out of my kids and sometimes me. It’s fun going straight, but there has to be a way to do something different and make things more linear or to cause that boost earlier in the turn.
From what I have heard the Banks Pedal Monster is a good solution. I think it is only partly turbo lag but mostly the built in torque management.

OP
OP
LetzGoState

LetzGoState

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I have heard the Banks Pedal Monster is a good solution. I think it is only partly turbo lag but mostly the built in torque management.
Thank you. I have a pedal monster. I have it about halfway up the city setting. Maybe I need to try it a bit higher.

Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Turn the pedal monster up to 5 or 6 and I would recommend the banks derringer. It adds fuel to get the turbo "spooled" up faster.

You need to realize its a diesel and takes a second to build boost. To adjust for this try brake boosting for a second before letting it go. Unfortunately this will likely end up in some tire smoke :)

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Haul Truck Driver
I have the Pedal Monster on my JTRD also. I’d suggest going down on the settings instead of up. I played around with different settings when I first installed mine and kind of settled in at City mid range. Somehow shortly after that I accidentally set it the Sport mid range setting without realizing it. Couldn’t figure out why it started acting like you’re describing, initially smooth and then mid range it was like all the power just came on. Way more aggressive than I like.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
if you need that much acceleration to get through a turn before a on coming car, maybe the simple solution is to not shot the gap and wait for a bigger gap where less acceleration is needed. (motorcyclist PTSD for left turners)

I am running the PM too and when set to "sport" I have also noticed it likes to start pulling hard halfway through a turn. I have it in "city" right now "0" trim and power set to around 3/4 and it seems a little more well behaved.

I got the PM because i didn't like the lag in response when i needed to pull out quickly.

Last edited:

GoatPowder

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator EcoDiesel
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
It's in the OEM tuning to reduce soot output, deleted and/or tuned the spool on these baby turbos is near instantaneous. A pedal monster/derringer is your best bet if you don't want to make the jump to a true tune but it'll still have the occasional lag

Sponsored

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I would think that for your setup you would something like City mode, and about halfway. So like city 5-6ish. But it looks like you're already at that setting...so maybe try about 8-9, or 3-4.

Try them both out and see how it performs.
With my setup i've been liking city 8.

Keith Diesel

Banned
Banned
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler ecodiesel
Occupation
Diesel Calibration Engineer
The Green Diesel tune below will improve off the line response significantly and make it feel more linear. The tune over 2 seconds quicker 0-60. Improved fuel economy to boot.

https://greendieselengineering.com/product/ecodiesel-gen3-performance-fuel-economy-tuning/

OP
OP
LetzGoState

LetzGoState

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Green Diesel tune below will improve off the line response significantly and make it feel more linear. The tune over 2 seconds quicker 0-60. Improved fuel economy to boot.

https://greendieselengineering.com/product/ecodiesel-gen3-performance-fuel-economy-tuning/
I've been looking at this and the eco diesel owners canada tune. I'm in the process of working through a cross country move so money is a bit tight. But plan to go one of those routes when I can.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
As others have said... the lag is 100% artificial, whether that be in TPS modulation or hysteresis in the tuning itself for torque management/fuel economy/emissions.

Yes it takes a small amount of time for boost to build, but on modern turbos it's almost instantaneous. Small motors have meant smaller turbos in addition to the better tech and it takes much less time to spool up a little turbo to push enough air to fill a tiny engine. I have an old '91 Celica Alltrac with a modified Supra turbo on it and that car legitimately takes several seconds to hit boost from a street start situation.

The true solution is a bench tune on the PCM. The Banks Derringer is a piggyback. It could help with delay, but I wouldn't personally run it with the stock emissions systems... The EcoDiesel has already had soot and oil contamination issues in the past. And in general I've never had luck with piggybacks. People call them tuners but when all they do is modify signals inline... I have a hard time considering that "tuning."

And when it comes to the Pedal Commander and the sorts... unless something has changed in the last couple years, all they do is change the gain curve on the pedal sensor. There's nothing fancy going on there, if you stomp your foot to the floor with and without a Pedal Commander the end result is going to be the same. But in a daily driving environment it's just simulating you pushing the pedal harder than you are when you're driving around. If that's all you're looking for, then great, it does that. But it won't fix delay baked into the tuning for torque/economy/emissions.

OP
OP
LetzGoState

LetzGoState

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As others have said... the lag is 100% artificial, whether that be in TPS modulation or hysteresis in the tuning itself for torque management/fuel economy/emissions.

Yes it takes a small amount of time for boost to build, but on modern turbos it's almost instantaneous. Small motors have meant smaller turbos in addition to the better tech and it takes much less time to spool up a little turbo to push enough air to fill a tiny engine. I have an old '91 Celica Alltrac with a modified Supra turbo on it and that car legitimately takes several seconds to hit boost from a street start situation.

The true solution is a bench tune on the PCM. The Banks Derringer is a piggyback. It could help with delay, but I wouldn't personally run it with the stock emissions systems... The EcoDiesel has already had soot and oil contamination issues in the past. And in general I've never had luck with piggybacks. People call them tuners but when all they do is modify signals inline... I have a hard time considering that "tuning."

And when it comes to the Pedal Commander and the sorts... unless something has changed in the last couple years, all they do is change the gain curve on the pedal sensor. There's nothing fancy going on there, if you stomp your foot to the floor with and without a Pedal Commander the end result is going to be the same. But in a daily driving environment it's just simulating you pushing the pedal harder than you are when you're driving around. If that's all you're looking for, then great, it does that. But it won't fix delay baked into the tuning for torque/economy/emissions.
Agreed. I know that the pedal monster is simply changing the accelerator signal, but it does it enough to where it feels quicker. I like providing less throttle input so worth it to me. At the end of the day, all manufacturers are trying to hit a good equalization point. What will be a reasonable amount of throttle that won't throw someone into the back of the seat and won't seem like the vehicle is an absolute dog. I think a transmission tune would likely help. Just saving up some $ to do the bench flash/tune for both.
Sponsored