Sponsored

Warn power interrupt kit - switch question

TTU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Willys
I’m getting close to emptying my pockets on a superwinch, warn winch plate for Mopar steel bumper, and warn interrupt kit.

My goal is to leave the interrupt switch under the hood. Once I build funds back up I will add aux switches 6-12 months down the road. Which I could then wire into the kit.

Any foreseeable issues with leaving that interrupt switch under the hood? I would have to find a spot to secure it. Maybe it is simpler then I think to route into the cab, will have to research as this would be on battery side of engine bay.

Also, any additional items I would need for install that would not come with winch, winch plate, or interrupt kit?
Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m getting close to emptying my pockets on a superwinch, warn winch plate for Mopar steel bumper, and warn interrupt kit.

My goal is to leave the interrupt switch under the hood. Once I build funds back up I will add aux switches 6-12 months down the road. Which I could then wire into the kit.

Any foreseeable issues with leaving that interrupt switch under the hood? I would have to find a spot to secure it. Maybe it is simpler then I think to route into the cab, will have to research as this would be on battery side of engine bay.

Also, any additional items I would need for install that would not come with winch, winch plate, or interrupt kit?
I’d just temporarily route it into the cab, but don’t bother with a permanent mount. Just zip tie it temporarily.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

I assume by interrupt switch you mean the small rocker switch they include to control the solenoid which actually "interrupts" power to the winch?

Solenoid needs to be mounted close to the battery.
The small switch that powers the solenoid to engage it can be put anywhere you wish.

I used my aux switches and not the rocker switch to control the solenoid that interrupts winch power but you could run the small wire to the rocker switch mounted almost anywhere and then tie the aux switch to the solenoid later.

Jeep Gladiator Warn power interrupt kit - switch question 20220825_221454_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Warn power interrupt kit - switch question 20220825_221501_HDR

OP
OP
TTU03

TTU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Willys
I assume by interrupt switch you mean the small rocker switch they include to control the solenoid which actually "interrupts" power to the winch?

Solenoid needs to be mounted close to the battery.
The small switch that powers the solenoid to engage it can be put anywhere you wish.

I used my aux switches and not the rocker switch to control the solenoid that interrupts winch power but you could run the small wire to the rocker switch mounted almost anywhere and then tie the aux switch to the solenoid later.

Yes the switch I’m referring to is the rocker switch. Harbor apex winch I believe comes with an interrupt kit of sort.I don’t see any other winches that pack one in box. Aux switches are on the short list but I figure getting the winch first is more important then the nice aux switch for tie in. Really would like mopar aux switches to keep factory set up. Pricy and look like an interesting install.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I doubt that rocker switch is designed to be water / dust resistant. I think mounting it under the hood would cause early failure of it and potentially prevent you from activating the solenoid to use the winch

Sponsored

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I'm with you regarding not mounting it inside on a temporary basis. I'm sure you could find a spot under the dash where you wouldn't need to drill any holes or put screws through interior plastic. However, since you will need to mount the solenoid in vicinity of the battery and most likely fabricate some sort of solinoid mounting bracket consider making the bracket large enough for the switch to be mounted on the same bracket (similar the Shadows bracket above). I have installed a couple switch's on brackets under the hood. They are holding up well. However, I have not done any deep-water fording. Enjoy the project!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt that rocker switch is designed to be water / dust resistant. I think mounting it under the hood would cause early failure of it and potentially prevent you from activating the solenoid to use the winch
I suspect he's thinking short-term.
Mine doesn't get wet under the hood unless I wash it. A person could mount a switch in a place that would be "relatively" risk-free.
He could also use the supplied Apex switch and then later put the solenoid in use when he has his aux switches in hand. If done with any planning, the apex cut-off switch could be removed and the solenoid put in place and not have to move any cables.

Jeep Gladiator Warn power interrupt kit - switch question 20201017_135923_HDR

The above is from my 2020 but if I had decided to keep it and put a solenoid in place of the big switch that came with the Badland winch, it could have been done without moving cables very much.

Really would like mopar aux switches to keep factory set up. Pricy and look like an interesting install.
I really like the factory switches and the fact they can operate independent of each other, and can be configured for momentary, latching, ign or run power.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I recommend checking out this product from @813 Fabrication & Design I picked it up a few months ago - haven't been able to install it yet, but it's a solid option that provides modular mounting opportunities, and short of fabricating your own, I believe is the only one out there like it. Other options, like the Power Trays bracket, are more specific designs.

https://www.813fabrication.com/product-page/underhood-electrical-accessory-plate

Mine is raw aluminum - probably an early version, I think he now offers a coated version that looks really nice.

I suspect he's thinking short-term.
Mine doesn't get wet under the hood unless I wash it. A person could mount a switch in a place that would be "relatively" risk-free.
He could also use the supplied Apex switch and then later put the solenoid in use when he has his aux switches in hand. If done with any planning, the apex cut-off switch could be removed and the solenoid put in place and not have to move any cables.

Jeep Gladiator Warn power interrupt kit - switch question 20201017_135923_HDR

The above is from my 2020 but if I had decided to keep it and put a solenoid in place of the big switch that came with the Badland winch, it could have been done without moving cables very much.

I really like the factory switches and the fact they can operate independent of each other, and can be configured for momentary, latching, ign or run power.
Oh I suspect you're right with temporary mounting as well. I just know that in my own past projects, 'temporary' sometimes turned into 5 years +...... Which is why now, for me anyway, projects will have to wait until I have 95% of materials to install the way I envisioned just to avoid that 5+ year of temporary lol.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have so much aluminum and steel stock on hand and often run batches of customer parts through powder coating I prefer my own custom-made stuff to fit how and where, and I can change whenever needed.
I found a blue powder that's pretty close to the color of my truck and plan on powder coating my solenoid bracket blue after I mode it a bit to make it more sleek.

I'm torn on leaving the plow isolation circuit bracket I made polished aluminum like I made it, or color it blue powder.......can't see much of it anyway with all of the wires there.

Jeep Gladiator Warn power interrupt kit - switch question 20221022_143926_HDR

But this one is going to get tweaked and made blue to match the truck -

Jeep Gladiator Warn power interrupt kit - switch question 1672809530098

Jeep Gladiator Warn power interrupt kit - switch question 1672809570817

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I see no issues having the interrupt switch right next to solenoid until you wire up your in cab aux.

The use case is to power the winch when you need it, and stop it in case of an emergency (I.e. the solenoid on the actual winch gets stuck or frozen in the on position). Whenever you want to use the winch just pop open the hood and turn it on with the temp warn switch, and be ready to kill it if needed. Here’s my interrupt solenoid mounted next to battery. I have the interrupt solenoid wired to aux 2. I got that bracket at Home Depot for a few bucks.
Jeep Gladiator Warn power interrupt kit - switch question 58AB6060-8EC4-40A3-8A41-544133D3DEF7

Sponsored

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.813fabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Warning: I am not someone who uses their winch very often. However, I have seen lots of YouTube videos! 🤣

A consideration:

Many folks highly recommend raising the hood before/during winching to help prevent hooks or shackles hitting or going through the windshield. Apparently, vehicle occupants can be severely injured or killed as a result. An under-hood mounted switch could be a really good excuse to open the hood while using the winch.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
However, I have seen lots of YouTube videos!
Hey, we've attended the same classes! LOL J/K

Many folks highly recommend raising the hood before/during winching to help prevent hooks or shackles hitting or going through the windshield. Apparently, vehicle occupants can be severely injured or killed as a result. An under-hood mounted switch could be a really good excuse to open the hood while using the winch.
Can't argue with SAFETY FIRST........ but if I may - add a tiny bit or bits?
Always use quality equipment intended for the task at hand. Don't use what's laying around in the scrap pile. If your winch can handle xx pounds, then make sure the rest of the stuff is appropriately rated. NEVER pull from a hitch ball or for that matter a ball mount at all. They are not meant for that type of stress. You can get decent equipment meant for the task for prices not much different or higher than the cost of a ball mount (and you'll look impressive, in any case)

There are times, like when I pulled a guy out of an icy/snowy ditch where it was dangerous just for me to approach the battery side of my truck where the bit fat red switch was (pre-solenoid) so I wish in that situation I would have had the solenoid with the aux switch. But an open hood can be a barrier. I went the solenoid route as I could imagine times I might not be able to access the hood or get it open.

Don't smart Jeep drivers carry blankets? I do - blankets serve a lot of purposes. If you come across an accident - you can warm someone who is cold or in shock. If you are stranded in the cold - you can snuggle in a blanky or keep your family warm with blankets (even in a car - until help arrives). Lots of use for blankets. And hey - they made decent dampers for winch ropes. Yeah, those nifty weighted blankets made for such things are cool and great and the weight does a great job, but since I keep blankets in the truck for helping others, or for other emergencies, why not let them take at least some of the whip out of a snapping line?
I noticed the truck driver that stopped to lend any assistance needed while I was winching out a fellow stood on the highway side of my truck well away from any possible snap-back path. Smart guy.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
My winch interrupt kit has been sitting in the box for 18 months. I really need to install it. I have the aux switches but will probably use the Warn rocker switch in the cab so I can keep the aux switches available for more unnecessary lights.

OP
OP
TTU03

TTU03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Willys
Hey, we've attended the same classes! LOL J/K

Can't argue with SAFETY FIRST........ but if I may - add a tiny bit or bits?
Always use quality equipment intended for the task at hand. Don't use what's laying around in the scrap pile. If your winch can handle xx pounds, then make sure the rest of the stuff is appropriately rated. NEVER pull from a hitch ball or for that matter a ball mount at all. They are not meant for that type of stress. You can get decent equipment meant for the task for prices not much different or higher than the cost of a ball mount (and you'll look impressive, in any case)

There are times, like when I pulled a guy out of an icy/snowy ditch where it was dangerous just for me to approach the battery side of my truck where the bit fat red switch was (pre-solenoid) so I wish in that situation I would have had the solenoid with the aux switch. But an open hood can be a barrier. I went the solenoid route as I could imagine times I might not be able to access the hood or get it open.

Don't smart Jeep drivers carry blankets? I do - blankets serve a lot of purposes. If you come across an accident - you can warm someone who is cold or in shock. If you are stranded in the cold - you can snuggle in a blanky or keep your family warm with blankets (even in a car - until help arrives). Lots of use for blankets. And hey - they made decent dampers for winch ropes. Yeah, those nifty weighted blankets made for such things are cool and great and the weight does a great job, but since I keep blankets in the truck for helping others, or for other emergencies, why not let them take at least some of the whip out of a snapping line?
I noticed the truck driver that stopped to lend any assistance needed while I was winching out a fellow stood on the highway side of my truck well away from any possible snap-back path. Smart guy.

I carry a couple of those blue furniture blankets from harbor freight. They are useful in so many situations. I figure they would be of sufficient weight for a winch line.
Sponsored