Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My 80 year old neighbor came over the other day to drop some stuff off - we chatted a bit (out in the cold) as I was getting ready to move some snow. He's a former county employee.
He absolutely loved snow removal. He said it was his favorite part of the job. I agree, there's just something about it. I can't deal with the cold and health things have made that even worse, not to mention my dizziness being constant now, walking on ice, etc. is really tricky - having the plow on the JT, it was actually fun. If I was younger, I'd almost enjoy it as a part-time job. Reminds me of running a chisel plow or combine - loved it.
i hate the cold we got with this one, but the snow - I was saying "bring it on" and was disappointed when they dropped the forecast 11" down to about 7 for our area.
Iā€™m on a work trip for a couple of days, but my wife told me weā€™ve gotten well over a foot in the last couple of days. I wish I was there to help her clear it. Thankfully itā€™s a big snowblower.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Itā€™s the replacement for the aluminum gearbox.
So it's the "latest and ok steering gear" I'd leave out the word "greatest".

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldnā€™t know how to do it, so I will have to pay. Iā€™m trying to learn more about auto mechanics, but I donā€™t wanna let my ignorance prevent me from upgrading my JT. Iā€™m reading how much so many of yā€™all DIY and itā€™s amazing! But Iā€™m gonna need guidance or more likely Iā€™m gonna need to pay a shop even on sliders!
Definitely try to get in contact with some members that are in your area if you can. But always remember you can ask here too. Some of us can be grumpy old guys though so having thick skin helps. :like:
All of us have been there too. Now your weather we can't help you with. :giggle:
The warranty thing is a sticky thing, doing mods before warranty expires "me" I did/ do but with caveat certain things I don't f### with "I keep" engine, drivetrain and connected electronics OEM. Added bunch of extra electric stuff, solar systems, house battery.

Iā€™m in Florida for a couple of days. I wish I had my Jeep, but I drove someone elseā€™s as a favor.
Ah that's how Dec started with me. Driving someone else's car to Miami to be a chauffeur back after a week on cruise ship. I damn sure would have rather been in my JT other than the toll roads, fuel, parking, hotel, ect. šŸ˜³
And back O.T.... I drained JT water tank last night so it doesn't start to freeze. Drove into town to Walmart then home in freezing rain. :like:

WestwallNF104A

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Antique dealer
Do yā€™all do this stuff after your warranty runs out? I thought most mods need to be done by the dealer w MOPAR to avoid voiding it.
So long as you drill no new holes in the Jeep you are probably good to go.

The only thing I have seen in my area that voided a warranty was that.

Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I wouldnā€™t know how to do it, so I will have to pay. Iā€™m trying to learn more about auto mechanics, but I donā€™t wanna let my ignorance prevent me from upgrading my JT. Iā€™m reading how much so many of yā€™all DIY and itā€™s amazing! But Iā€™m gonna need guidance or more likely Iā€™m gonna need to pay a shop even on sliders!
Luckily we live in an age where you can find almost anything on YT for instruction.

The way I look at things is 1) Can I do a "good enough" job? 2) How much skill, tools, and experience needed 3) Is this something worth learning and/or doing?

"good enough" is subjective to each person. my threshold is "OEM" or better (usually aiming for better). It's why I'm not a huge fan of home construction; there's a much less exacting standard. The detail work hides everything.

I spent many years working on racecars, so automotive stuff isn't an unsurmountable challenge. Also, I like to think I'm smart enough, so I know when something would be way out of my comfort zone. And then I also remember who assemble these things. Regular people. Not people with doctorates or specialized schooling. No one on the line installing the seats spent 4 years at a prestigious engineering school in the Alps learning all the maths and solving Good Will Hunting problems.

I did my own winch install in the steel Rubicon bumper. Took off the bumper, added the winch plate, installed the winch, wired the winch, reinstalled the bumper.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
My 80 year old neighbor came over the other day to drop some stuff off - we chatted a bit (out in the cold) as I was getting ready to move some snow. He's a former county employee.
He absolutely loved snow removal. He said it was his favorite part of the job. I agree, there's just something about it. I can't deal with the cold and health things have made that even worse, not to mention my dizziness being constant now, walking on ice, etc. is really tricky - having the plow on the JT, it was actually fun. If I was younger, I'd almost enjoy it as a part-time job. Reminds me of running a chisel plow or combine - loved it.
There's definitely something satisfying about some forms of labor. I think it's the problem solver in all of us, and let's gives us opportunity to attack the problem in whatever way we want to solve it, sometimes in a more artistic or efficient way than others.

Heck, there's now even video game "simulators" for all major games systems for power washing things, mowing yards, driving truck/combines, etc. And some people pour hours upon hours into it, which makes me think they should just do it as their profession and at least make some money off it šŸ˜†.

ScooterInTX

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Thanks.
Theyā€™re some cheap ones off of Amazon.

Off-Road Light Mounting Bracket Bar Clamp Kits [1"/1.5"/1.75"/2" Inch] [Horizontal Bar] [Aluminium] [2 Units] Bull Roll Cage Clamps Mount For ATV UTV https://a.co/d/dSxiEqU
Sorry! One more question to satisfy my OCD. How did you route your wires? Don't see any sign of them in the pic

Sponsored

Like-a-virgin

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Luckily we live in an age where you can find almost anything on YT for instruction.

The way I look at things is 1) Can I do a "good enough" job? 2) How much skill, tools, and experience needed 3) Is this something worth learning and/or doing?

"good enough" is subjective to each person. my threshold is "OEM" or better (usually aiming for better). It's why I'm not a huge fan of home construction; there's a much less exacting standard. The detail work hides everything.

I spent many years working on racecars, so automotive stuff isn't an unsurmountable challenge. Also, I like to think I'm smart enough, so I know when something would be way out of my comfort zone. And then I also remember who assemble these things. Regular people. Not people with doctorates or specialized schooling. No one on the line installing the seats spent 4 years at a prestigious engineering school in the Alps learning all the maths and solving Good Will Hunting problems.

I did my own winch install in the steel Rubicon bumper. Took off the bumper, added the winch plate, installed the winch, wired the winch, reinstalled the bumper.
Something tells me Iā€™m gonna be buying a grinder, a heat gun, socket set, and a tarp to get under her. Then lifts or ramps and a hydraulic jack? It doesnā€™t end, does it? And I have just touched the beginning (less than a month)!

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Something tells me Iā€™m gonna be buying a grinder, a heat gun, socket set, and a tarp to get under her. Then lifts or ramps and a hydraulic jack? It doesnā€™t end, does it? And I have just touched the beginning (less than a month)!
Nah. I haven't needed a grinder yet. Hand tools and a good breaking bar and torque wrench. I installed my Icon lift w/o power tools - the lone exception was drilling the swaybar bolt holes slightly bigger. I do have the benefit of an 8' tall garage door, so getting in & out with all the gear on the JT wasn't a problem.

Lifts or ramps aren't necessary (yet). Plus if you put a suspension lift kit on the JT, changing oil can be done w/o lifting it. It can probably be done stock, but I'm True American Size (tm) so that extra 3" helps.

A jack is handy, especially when installing heavy things like bumpers and running boards/sliders. And jacks should always be accompanied by good jack stands. I have a Harbor Freight 3T jack... that's now too short for the JT w/o blocks.

Tools are always good to have. Hopefully you have space for them. I'm on round 2 of buying tools, I had to sell most of mine years ago 'cause I didn't have anywhere to put them (or a need to keep them at that point). Not like it was a big mechanic's set or anything.

Mojave20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Sorry! One more question to satisfy my OCD. How did you route your wires? Don't see any sign of them in the pic
Theyā€™re cable tied to the rear lower portion of the bar then under the grille on the right side. Tried to hide as much as possible when looking head on and down from above.

Wmkresse

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Finally got my tent mounted on my Billie Bars rack! Love their product and easy to install. I also used their HD clamps. Worked great, now time for a trip.

IMG_4063.jpeg

IMG_4057.jpeg

IMG_4054.jpeg

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
Installed RC E-step electric boards. Took about 8 hrs in the garage.
Sponsored