Sponsored

What does everyone think about the lifespan of the JT model?

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
What does everyone think about the lifespan of the JT model? I wonder what production and sales numbers look like compared to the TJ-Unlimited? 3 years and done for that one. I' will try to find numbers on the TJ run, 04-06.
Sponsored

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I think sales numbers are up this year. I too, think it’s heat to stay.

Yossarian

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Retired
Essentially the LJ evolved into JK and JL 4 doors. I think the JT will be around for several years to come. Probably even into the next generation Wrangler design.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Haven’t seen the numbers. Not sure. Feels like it’ll go away after JL is done.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The "LJ" production run for 2 1/2 years I read somewhere the number in range of 40,000 plus. I seen a few for sale that sold for almost the same price as when new with 100 k on them a few years back. $24000-26000 I would have liked to pick up a second one then especially if automatic transmission. Then I'd have both. 🤗 A guy I worked with bought one used with a soft top about 6 years back a week after he did I told him I'd buy it from him when he got tired with it, He kept it about 6 months then traded it in taking a bath on it.😠 I'd loved to have got it no damage, low mileage. I still see it around being a weekend driver only.

Back on topic:
I expect the JT to hang on for maybe 7 years up to 10 at best, I hope I'm wrong and it's around for longer. Being "the new hotness" for 2020 until the "BroCo" really gets out 🤗 and the EV trucks.

They figured it's a good idea to have a recovery vehicle for it. :LOL: :giggle:just joking .😉
Jeep Gladiator What does everyone think about the lifespan of the JT model? Screenshot_20210605-211531~2

OldButStillJeeping

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, '92 Jeep YJ, 2017 F250 4WD
What does everyone think about the lifespan of the JT model? I wonder what production and sales numbers look like compared to the TJ-Unlimited? 3 years and done for that one. I' will try to find numbers on the TJ run, 04-06.
Good question!

I missed the boat on the Comanche. Had a YJ. (Still have the YJ.)
I missed the boat on the LJ. Had a TJ.
I wasn't going to miss the boat on the JT. Got one. Will probably go to the grave owning it.

In my humble opinion, the JT is the best looking Jeep in decades. The squared off bed, the side and rear looks is absolutely amazing. Kudos to Jeep. Only the Comanche compares, but it's a unibody.

That being said, I don't know the sales figures vs cost for Jeep to keep it going. The research and development is done, so I'd expect it to be around a few years.

If not, we'll have a collectable.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
The old Gladiator/J-series truck was around for 26 years.
Chrysler hasn’t had a mid-sized truck since 2011, although it seems they may plan to reintroduce the Dakota.
I think they have a winner with the Gladiator, and expect a nice run, especially with the market shifting to trucks and SUVs instead of sedans.
If they go 4xe or longer e-range hybrid, and offer full electric, it’ll really support the line.
Let’s hope sales numbers prove me right!

Kevin

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bucephalus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator/ 20 AMG GLB 35/ 02 Ranger/ 06 BMW M3
Occupation
Laboratory and Medical Supplies
The JT is here to stay!

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...mbers-reported-77-542-units-sold-total.38798/

In the above thread is the 2020 sales numbers for FCA. The gladiator sold 77k in 2020. A subsequent first quarter post showed a 23% increase and 18.8k first quarter sales for 2021. So sales seem solid. I don't know what Jeep thought sales would be. My logic would be they wouldn't expect wrangler level sales, they had to expect some wrangler losses to Gladiator. I'd bet that not all but most of the members here have other jeeps and that a wrangler would have been the leading vehicle if not for the Gladiator. (Not everyone, I know)

my guess is 50% of wrangler sales is good for Gladiator??? So 100ka year +/-

Chilli

First Name
Wolfgang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GLADIATOR RUBICON
Occupation
RETIRED
Sales figures for last & this year may not be the best indicators .

Let's face it, C19 intervention has made its impression on not only social behavior but buying trends as well.

Perhaps even elections too.

Buying an object to feel good is nothing new, but buying a Gladiator is perhaps the best thing I have invested in for my mental & financial health. My future w/ my JT is as follows.
Would not be surprised if a few more other owners felt the same way. At least I'll have someone else to ride the back trail w/.

A. I no longer have to invest in a coffin.
B. No need for a land base burial plot.
C. Family left behind now knows where to visit me on those sunny days w/ nothing else to do.
D. My legacy is now that I finally learned what to do w/ my time & money.
E. Last thoughts about me will surely be, WELL HE MUST HAVE DIED W/ A SMILE ON HIS FACE.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Yeah I agree that it will last at least as long as the JLs. What will be telling is what happens to the JL regarding refresh and redesign leaks.

Something comparable was the Ram/Dakota line about 20 years ago; they redesigned the Ram in 02, and the Dakota didn't get a matching redesign until 05. I thought that they might cancel the Dakota or something during that 3 year gap. So, we may see the JT last a year or two after the debut of next-gen wrangler before we find out the real answer.
Sponsored