First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
IF one is not comfortable with a hi-lift jack, then get with a local club or someone with experience and learn... however I will say that AEV makes a scissor/bottle jack stand that brings those jacks up off the ground a few inches. Still not as a good a hi-lift in so many scenarios but better than nothing. :)
Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering what everyone thinks about High-lift vs bottle jacks or is there another good option when off road?
I had the same problem deciding which trail jack until my garage floor jack died and then decided on the Pro Eagle even though I kept having buyers remorse due to the cost until it came. This is definitely a high quality jack and I can see why it cost so much. Now my only problem is how to store it in the truck since I do not want to drill holes in the bed for the optional mount and it is to long to mount on a molly panel and keep under the bed cover. Hoping Pelican will release the overlander cases soon and one of them will be large enough to store the jack.

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
@Commodus what size Pro Eagle did you get?

What do folks think about the difference between 1.5 vs 2 ton? I'm looking at the two Pro Eagle models, with the obvious trade-off between the capacity and the size/weight. (They end up being pretty close to the same price.)

Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@Commodus what size Pro Eagle did you get?

What do folks think about the difference between 1.5 vs 2 ton? I'm looking at the two Pro Eagle models, with the obvious trade-off between the capacity and the size/weight. (They end up being pretty close to the same price.)
I decided on the 3 ton just because I wanted something I could use on the trail with a loaded truck or be able to assist someone in need that is heavier than me. The only disadvantage is of course the cost, but also the weight difference between the 2 and 3 ton, but I love the jack

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing to have if you are going to have and use a Hi-Lift jack is a few good short ratchet straps that you can "lock in suspension" from drooping. Then you don't have to jack up as high. I will agree that a Hi-Lift is not for a lot of people. Nor is common sense. I actually have the OEM jack and a hydraulic bottle jack in my Jeeps, my LJ has a Hi-Lift too. After I add solid points (rock rails) on my Gladiator I will probably put my other Hi-Lift in it too. Hi-Lift's can be used with a mounted shackle for a secure mounting point if it is a secure one. I have and do use them on LJ with that it's never slipped off. It can roll forward or back though, with one you can really F### S### up and damage (or kill) you and vehicle. I have cracked a tail light housing on my XJ with it, I had to slide Jeep sideways. A critical thing is any and all jacks can and will fail. I've had bottle jacks, a floor jack and my first Hi-Lift jack had a bad cast part broke on first use. I don't want to think about how many scissor jacks I have seen fail. One other detail on a Hi-Lift jack that has not been mentioned breaking a tire bead, I have done so many I don't remember. I have even broke down (M35) 2 1/2 ton truck tires with mine. now days I'd take them to a shop ;) I'm to damn old for that now. :facepalm: Another use is it's handle as a "cheater pipe" and as sleeve been there done that and drove a few hours home with it. Not going to work with the JT's steering though. One of my Hi-Lift handle's is "modded" for a Crescent wrench extension. Wait till you need to take off a axle hub nut..... with out having a impact gun after a few years of use.;)

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Great Thread, thanks guys. I decided to go with the www.safejack.com, "The General". Pretty expensive, but, I like well made stuff that does not leak, and it will easily attach to my molle panels in the rear. There is a 3 week wait time, but, "DELTA10" will get you 10% off anything on the site. The "Private" and "Sergeant" also seem like good solutions. Good Luck with your choices.

Update: I just received "The General" in an ammo box. Super high quality kit. Here you can see it rachet strapped to my molle panel..

OM3YW1.jpg

Last edited:

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Wondering what everyone thinks about High-lift vs bottle jacks or is there another good option when off road?
Having wheeled a bit and seen a few situations, I will say I have seen 3 Hi-Lift jacks fail, and one bottle jack used to recover a 4Runner that was hanging off a ledge (vandals took 2 tires that they could reach)

OP
OP
Pat2Alaska

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
Having wheeled a bit and seen a few situations, I will say I have seen 3 Hi-Lift jacks fail, and one bottle jack used to recover a 4Runner that was hanging off a ledge (vandals took 2 tires that they could reach)
Thanks for the reply. I ended up buying a bag jack and will be also carrying a bottle jack. Used the bag when I was wheeling in Colorado last summer when the JK behind me rolled and we had to air a tire back up when the bead broke. Worked great.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
So many variables.

I try to carry a bottle jack and a high lift any time We are off road.

There have been times that between flex, rocks, and angles we have exceeded the height of a 48” high lift.

There have been times a bottle jack would be awesome but terrain says no…..

Having the flexibility of both is great.

The wheel strap for the high lift has been useful quite a bit. - so if you carry a high lift this maybe useful to you as well:
Hi-Lift Jack LM-100 Lift-Mate
Sponsored