Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm not sure I agree with the last point; take a look at the rear of the hard top for a Wrangler; it has a huge opening with a rear window that is simply hinged up at the top, so it has no "horizontal structure" at the bottom.

I do think that it would have been possible to make the rear window removable, perhaps similar to the avalanche (being held in by some sort of latches, and stashing behind the rear seat) but the question is whether or not would have been worth it. Frankly, this could be done with the same basic design as the current hard top (so in other words, leaving the horizontal structure at the bottom of the hard top to make a good seal against the rear of the cab).

I fully expect that someone will end up modifying a JT hard top to do some sort of removable rear window, or that it will be a feature on an aftermarket hard top.
You're right, and Wrangler hard tops get cracked and broken all the time. I wouldn't even take mine off because on my old YJ I ended up having to do fiberglass repair on the rear bottom corners.
Sponsored

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Would have been tough with the removable top, to have a back window drop into the body. Complexity, weight, power, and component alignment.

I would have liked the entire window to flip out from the bottom perhaps in multiple positions.

Maybe function like an awning window with a simple crank.
How hard can it be? Hell, GM and Ford did it in the 70's through the 90's in the K5 blazer and Bronco. AND they rolled down into a tailgate that folded up and down. I never had any sealing issues between that window and my removable hard top in any K5 I owned.

Jeep can do it. They just need to think outside the box a bit. They went with the standard thought that all picks ups just want a middle slider in the rear window

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
How hard can it be? Hell, GM and Ford did it in the 70's through the 90's in the K5 blazer and Bronco. AND they rolled down into a tailgate that folded up and down. I never had any sealing issues between that window and my removable hard top in any K5 I owned.

Jeep can do it. They just need to think outside the box a bit. They went with the standard thought that all picks ups just want a middle slider in the rear window
In the 90s? Let's go back 3 decades to heavier vehicles that get 10 mpg and aren't as capable on the trail.
And people are already complaining about payload and towing ratings, and the ESS as well.
Add some weight and you will lose payload and towing ratings, will add to cost (addressing those griping about the cost of these trucks) and make Jeep even more determined to do something to up their CAFE numbers.
More electrics, more mechanical items - more failures, more leaks, more rattles, more squeaks, more cost, less payload, lower towing rating..........
Anyone recall the reliability of those old vehicles with accuracy?
And when that goes bad just out of warranty, I can hear it now - "what the hell was Jeep thinking, now I have to pay 1500 to have that stupid things fixed"

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I was thinking they should do a hybrid top. The top only folds halfway, but flat over the roof. The rear window panel pops off. Easily removing the entire top with quick releases.

It seems pretty basic honestly. I'm surprised nobody has done it.

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
In the 90s? Let's go back 3 decades to heavier vehicles that get 10 mpg and aren't as capable on the trail.
And people are already complaining about payload and towing ratings, and the ESS as well.
Add some weight and you will lose payload and towing ratings, will add to cost (addressing those griping about the cost of these trucks) and make Jeep even more determined to do something to up their CAFE numbers.
More electrics, more mechanical items - more failures, more leaks, more rattles, more squeaks, more cost, less payload, lower towing rating..........
Anyone recall the reliability of those old vehicles with accuracy?
And when that goes bad just out of warranty, I can hear it now - "what the hell was Jeep thinking, now I have to pay 1500 to have that stupid things fixed"
I'd put my K5 against my JT any day of the week on the street / trail. My 1987 K5 had 0 issues with the rear window and I sold it in the mid 1990's. Just my opinion

Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I really liked the Honcho full size back when but they had, ahem, a very cheap feel to them. To be fair, all trucks then were utility engineered. These days, they are a Texas Lexus. (I could also get a Ford GT40 for $6995.00 in 66)

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes the Ridgeline is a true unibody. I am not talking about the Wrangler or Suburban or true unibody or whatever point you are trying to make.

My point is, and was, that the setup in the Avalanche will not work with the Gladiator because of the construction of the Avalance body. The end.
This whole ridiculous pissing contest began because way back in post 29 you said the Avalanche was a unibody.

Which its not. Then refused to acknowledge your error.

The end.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Huh? Removing the window from the top WOULD make it a lot lighter and in fact to have a lighter, less fragile hardtop and a better window in the soft top, $300 is an absolute bargain (although I'm not.aure where you get that number, I think it'd be a LOT more than that).
..... The window frame creates structure to the top for removing. Not that there isn't a solution, but what would it cost when all was said and done?

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Back to the Hybrid Top idea.

The complete top would be two separate pieces. The entire roof would be a soft top and the back piece around the back would remain fiberglass and glass. Thus a hybrid of the two.

Keeping the ability to remove one of the other. Essentially like a Sunrider, but better.

@Bestop

Sponsored

gryffinn

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 WILLYS Gladiator (STING)
Occupation
Designer/Photographer
this may be of interest to some of you - more details coming soon.

IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4827.jpg

IMG_4837.jpg

IMG_4839.jpg

Tkcdyer

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator High Altitude black/grey int
Occupation
Nurse Supervisor
Driving yesterday, looking at that useless, annoying thick black square right in the middle of my rear window, and something occurred to me.

What Jeep should have done with the rear window, was made it one solid pane that electrically retracts down into the back of the cab wall, like Toyota (I believe) did.

Benefits:

1. No stupid little slider that restricts rearward vision, is difficult to use and minimally effective anyway.

2. No glass in the hardtop. Time to switch tops? Drop the window. The hardtop is now significantly lighter and there's nothing breakable in it.

2a. No more electrical connections when removing the hardtop either.

3. You can now redesign the soft top to accept the rear window in the raised position, which shouldn't be too hard given that they already have those two hard cab-corner pieces. No more plastic windows to deal with. No more soft top storage bag, no more scratched plastic.

End rant.
That retractable rear window was my favorite part of my Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Sponsored