Sponsored

What supercharger did you choose and why?

which supercharger?

• R.I.P.P.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Magnuson

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Hamburger

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Edelbrock

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, currently looking into supercharging my JTR, currently I am looking at the Magnuson and this will most likely be my choice, however I know a few others have chosen R.I.P.P. and Hamburger's as well. just wondering if it was a preference, sticking with what brand you had on a prior vehicle or if something else. Thanks guys.
Sponsored

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gator, 2019 JL Mojave Bikini, 2011 JK Sport
If I can add to this post without high jacking....
Are you happy with your choice?
What feed back would you give?
How is the day to day drivability?

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator rubicon and 2018 Rubicon JL
I went with RIPP after looking into the procharger. Honestly a friend that runs an 4x4 shop recommended RIPP to me .. I researched it and then pulled the trigger and couldn’t be happier so far. The install looks clean and one would think it came from factory this way! The HP and torque gains impressed me , and they have a big part of the dodge/jeep market - theres lots of them out there .

The dipstick it comes with is a cheap brass allen bolt that broke for me ,but I have now switched that out with a hex one. The only other issue I had was with the out of box tune and I got that dialed in with some back n forth on logs with RIPP. They are very responsive and another reason I am glad I chose them .

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
I did the Hamburger supercharger. It seemed like the best centrifugal charger. I didn't like the driveability concerns with the Magnuson and they wouldn't honor the warranty with a DIY install. Hamburgers did!

I still wonder about the difference in daily driveability with a roots style blower.... the 3.6 can definitely benefit from a boost at lower RPM.

I have been happy with the Hamburgers setup. I might have chosen the Magnuson if they would have honored the warranty with a DIY install.

Mike1087

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I did the Hamburger supercharger. It seemed like the best centrifugal charger. I didn't like the driveability concerns with the Magnuson and they wouldn't honor the warranty with a DIY install. Hamburgers did!

I still wonder about the difference in daily driveability with a roots style blower.... the 3.6 can definitely benefit from a boost at lower RPM.

I have been happy with the Hamburgers setup. I might have chosen the Magnuson if they would have honored the warranty with a DIY install.
What drivability concerns did you have with the roots style?

Sponsored

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
What drivability concerns did you have with the roots style?
The reported concerns about the vacuum-operated bypass valve resulting in abrupt partial throttle response. Admittedly armchair concerns as I haven't driven one with the Magnuson. There is a long post with what looks like a nice solution to provide the ability to smoothly feather the throttle.

Mike1087

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
The reported concerns about the vacuum-operated bypass valve resulting in abrupt partial throttle response. Admittedly armchair concerns as I haven't driven one with the Magnuson. There is a long post with what looks like a nice solution to provide the ability to smoothly feather the throttle.
Ah got it, I will take a look at that thread about the bypass valve.

Wizzard005

First Name
CnG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, currently looking into supercharging my JTR, currently I am looking at the Magnuson and this will most likely be my choice, however I know a few others have chosen R.I.P.P. and Hamburger's as well. just wondering if it was a preference, sticking with what brand you had on a prior vehicle or if something else. Thanks guys.
we have ours on order. (Magnuson) .. getting it installed next month sometime at the beginning..

ATX VMan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
I have the Magnuson on my 3.6 JT. Love it. My complaint is Magnuson recommended keeping stock exhaust, as aftermarket exhausts generally reduce the SC's boost. I switched to 5.38 gearing for better 0-60/75 (red light to red light performance) and still cruise the highway at 85 with decent RPMs (maybe 3100). Put a Spectre CAI on it (only one that would fit without bending pipe after SC install), but still have a quiet stock sound.

I also have the Pedal Commander, set mostly at City "4", which helps with low end response tremendously. Lastly, I have the Madness Autoworks Autoflash, which removes torque limiting and "learns" shifting patterns to supposedly better align with mods. I've lightened it as much as possible, only so far you can take that on a JT.

Trying to find out if there is an exhaust that will give me a bit more throaty sound without losing significant boost.

On a positive, JT is quicker than a hemi swap. Regularly beats Ford Raptors, Mustang GTs, Non-M BMW's, and a host of other sub-$75k vehicles out there. It just doesn't have ANY sound to it.

OP
OP
GEETCH

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Magnuson on my 3.6 JT. Love it. My complaint is Magnuson recommended keeping stock exhaust, as aftermarket exhausts generally reduce the SC's boost. I switched to 5.38 gearing for better 0-60/75 (red light to red light performance) and still cruise the highway at 85 with decent RPMs (maybe 3100). Put a Spectre CAI on it (only one that would fit without bending pipe after SC install), but still have a quiet stock sound.

I also have the Pedal Commander, set mostly at City "4", which helps with low end response tremendously. Lastly, I have the Madness Autoworks Autoflash, which removes torque limiting and "learns" shifting patterns to supposedly better align with mods. I've lightened it as much as possible, only so far you can take that on a JT.

Trying to find out if there is an exhaust that will give me a bit more throaty sound without losing significant boost.

On a positive, JT is quicker than a hemi swap. Regularly beats Ford Raptors, Mustang GTs, Non-M BMW's, and a host of other sub-$75k vehicles out there. It just doesn't have ANY sound to it.
how are you liking that pedal commander? what benefits have you noticed?

Sponsored

OP
OP
GEETCH

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
looking f
we have ours on order. (Magnuson) .. getting it installed next month sometime at the beginning..
looking forward to your review. I am still strongly leaning towards the magnuson for a few reasons. when I do get a SC it will be installed in April.

ATX VMan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
how are you liking that pedal commander? what benefits have you noticed?
It's a quirky mod and it took me a while to figure it out. It's incredibly responsive on just about any setting - well worth the money. Madness Autoworks offers the exact pedal (called the Go-Pedal); pricing is really the only difference (both run specials to beat each other regularly).

The quirkiness comes from having to be at a complete stop, with foot on the brake, before changing settings, otherwise you throw a code. If you have the Tazer Mini or the Insane Audio head unit, you can quickly clear the code, but it's a pain in the butt. Problem solved - I leave it on a fairly aggressive setting in case I get any takers at a red-light, and take it down to an "eco" mode on long drives. In either instance, I remember to fully stop and foot firmly on brake before changing settings. When it throws a code, the JT goes in limp mode and barely gets off the street...

I don't know if the Go Pedal allows changing settings in motion - if it does, I would have easily went with that one.

Wizzard005

First Name
CnG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase

We have aftermart exhaust , but still have the factory loop or whatever it’s really called. We running 5.13s and 39’s. Also have PSC hydro assist steering. We will def report how it is. We are sick of it being so slow can’t wait

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard

I have no experience in this beyond what I have read on some threads about re-gearing...are you concerned about the secondary oil pump running with your RPMs above 3,000 on the highway? I don't actually know if it is a big deal, but others seem to think so. I don't have any plans going to 5.38, but might consider 4.88 or 5.13 gears if I go 37's...really don't think a SC is for me, but you never know.

ATX VMan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
I have no experience in this beyond what I have read on some threads about re-gearing...are you concerned about the secondary oil pump running with your RPMs above 3,000 on the highway? I don't actually know if it is a big deal, but others seem to think so. I don't have any plans going to 5.38, but might consider 4.88 or 5.13 gears if I go 37's...really don't think a SC is for me, but you never know.
No real concerns; still running stock axles, will need to upgrade or risk issues long-term with increased torque (and heavy foot on skinny pedal).
Sponsored