Sponsored

Which Gladiator is the better buy?

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Anyone else, besides me, think 6000# is a lot to tow with a JT?
Whoa! One shit storm at a time. Let him decide and then we can go there.
Sponsored

OP
OP

TxRubi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
Sales
Yes, I understand where you are coming from. However, 6K is on the very high end of what I may tow, I might do that once or twice a year for less than 300 miles and over relatively flat ground. I'm also no stranger to towing and the importance of weight and balance, capacities, weight distributing hitches, controllers, etc. My question wasn't intended to start an argument nor invite a lecture on how to tow. I was merely asking if, given the 20-25K mileage difference between Rubicon and Overland at the same price point, what opinions were on which one would be better from a perspective of long term ownership.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Rubicon, I have the Max tow and got it to use as a truck. I have dirt bikes and 4 wheelers to off-road hard with. The Rubicon has all the parts the Max Tow has, wider axles, more stable with heavy loads, lower gear ratio 4:10’s better towing and going larger tire size is not a problem up to a 37” BFG AT KO (about a 36” tire diameter). Rubicon has the bigger brakes and cooling as does the Max Tow. Plus the Rubicon has front and rear lockers, 4:1 transfer case and sway bar disconnect the Max Tow does not have.

So, towing 6,000 pounds with the 8 speed automatic and 4:10’s on Rubicon stock 33” tire is no problem. I haven’t had issues towing 7000lbs and 37” tires on stock gearing with my Max Tow.
The overland does not have any of the towing extras a Max Tow or a Rubicon has. I’ve driven thousands of miles with my Max tow and it is smooth as silk on the road. I love it. Can’t imagine the overland is any better and if it is, it’s because of lighter duty spring rates, something you don’t want to tow with.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
If I was in your situation, I’d probably go Rubicon. If you can determine that it wasn’t beaten up by the previous owner and you like the way it handles on the road, then go for it. I see you’re in Lubbock too, closer to all the awesome trails out west. You won’t regret the Rubicon if you ever get into the tougher offroad stuff. Plus they just look better.

Anyways, +1 for Rubicon. Good luck!

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I towed a 6k trailer from Colorado to California at an average of 65mph with a 21 JTR gasser, no issues. However, need to consider trailer size as well, that will have an affect and any foul weather or cross wind will be much more noticeable. also need to consider setup, trailer brake control, weight distribution hitch etc.

i dont tow often, if i did i personally wouldnt tow that much on the regular, that is just me. but for a now and then it does just fine in my opinion and use.

Sponsored

GEETCH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Hey group, this is my first post here, and I'm looking for an opinion from other Gladiator owners. I'm looking at a couple of different used Gladiators for my son to drive, and can't decide which of 2 to pull the trigger on. This will be for mainly daily driving with some light off roading and camping and occasional towing close to 6K lbs, and both are within $1000 of each other:
1) JT Rubicon w/ 55K miles, loaded w/ trail cam, leather, cold weather group, etc. with good records and clean Carfax.
or
2) JT Overland w/ 35K miles, loaded w/ leather, cold weather, etc. No trail camera. Has good maintenance records and clean Carfax.

I know I want the Rubi, but is that worth the additional 20K miles for the same price? I would plan to keep for the next 10 years, so longevity is more important than resale. Your thoughts and opinions are very much appreciated!
OP,
The best I can say it test drive them both, and based on options and capabilities choose what is right for you. the extra 20K would not be an issue for ME, if as stated by others, the Rubi was not thrashed underneath.

I have a Rubi myself, but that was after over a year of research, really contemplating how I wanted to drive it and where, and what was lacking in my Tacoma that I ultimately parted with to get the Rubi.

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Hey group, this is my first post here, and I'm looking for an opinion from other Gladiator owners. I'm looking at a couple of different used Gladiators for my son to drive, and can't decide which of 2 to pull the trigger on. This will be for mainly daily driving with some light off roading and camping and occasional towing close to 6K lbs, and both are within $1000 of each other:
1) JT Rubicon w/ 55K miles, loaded w/ trail cam, leather, cold weather group, etc. with good records and clean Carfax.
or
2) JT Overland w/ 35K miles, loaded w/ leather, cold weather, etc. No trail camera. Has good maintenance records and clean Carfax.

I know I want the Rubi, but is that worth the additional 20K miles for the same price? I would plan to keep for the next 10 years, so longevity is more important than resale. Your thoughts and opinions are very much appreciated!
I have an Overland and a Willys. I've lifted and upgraded both for more capable off roading. The Overland is my wife's, the Willys is mine. I absolutely love my Willys but the one regret Ive ever had was its not a Rubicon. If you want the Rubicon and don't get it you will wish you had. I'm currently basically turning mine into a Rubicon now. The Overland is definitely nicer on the inside but with the lift kits they both ride and handle the same now. Good luck and enjoy the JT journey.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
When I was looking at gladiators there were a few things that pushed me from overland to Rubicon. Namely 4.10 gears, wider stronger axles, higher fenders, higher towing and payload, and the front lockers. If none of those things matter to you get the overland because that's really what you are getting with the Rubicon

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Everyone will have a differnt opinion. Many will choose the one they got.
Between pre-purchase determinations and post-purchase rationalizations, shouldn't everyone think their trim is the best?

Sponsored

jerjon

First Name
JimmyJones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave, LJ, TJ, SuperTrooper
Occupation
Magician
or

Which ever one your kid can afford payments, gas, and insurance on.... dear god

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer

Outside Reality Check

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Toyota 4Runner LTD
Occupation
Surgical Technologist
Vehicle Showcase
Rubi is as Rubi does. That's all I have to say about that.

KidBobot

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator Mojave, 17 Sienna, 92 VW Cabriolet
I don't get it, the answer is always a Mojave.....
As the kids say... "Facts"
And since sadly, neither of the choices is a Mojave, the next question is... which one is a a Gobi? That will also be the right choice.