Sponsored

Which Gladiator trim (and options) is right for me?!

KtrainHurricane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche Macan GTS / 1997 Nissan 240sx
Hi all, in the market for a Jeep. I'm still not 100% on the Gladiator (still considering a Wrangler as well), but I do really love the truck. I have never owned a Jeep before so making the final decision of which one to go with has been challenging. So with that said, please feel free to offer any advice, suggestions, opinions, etc.!

To preface this, I will never take my Jeep off-road. Yes, I understand that will probably annoy some (many?), but I'm just being honest. I live in South FL suburbs and work in the city of Miami. This truck will be my daily driver. I want one because I think they look awesome, are practical (4 doors + a truck bed, which I WILL use), they have good resale value and I find them enjoyable to drive.

I think my decision comes down to either an Overland or Rubicon trim. I will list below the "must-have" features for me, but one is the Eco Diesel engine. I think the Mojave would've been the best all-around choice for me, but not being offered with the diesel is a deal-breaker, unfortunately. I like the stance + wider track of the Rubicon over the Overland, but don't really need any of the off-road features it has. Anyway, here are my must-haves:
*Eco Diesel engine
*Body-colored hardtop
*Body-colored fenders
*8.4" infotainment
*LED headlights AND taillights
*Trailer-tow package
*I also want the ability to run 20" wheels with 35"-37" tires, and I plan to add the Mopar 2" Lift Kit to whichever trim I go with.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LX570, Model Y
Overland is perfect for your uses. There isn't any terrain down here where you'll use the swaybar disconnect and you can ditch the 18s it comes with to run your big 20s with 37s on the mopar lift.

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Overland or 80th anniversary edition.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Two Door Rubicon, 2017 Audi Q5, 2016 Ram, 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Like said before me, go with the Overland. The upgrades on the Rubicon are no use to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP

KtrainHurricane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland or 80th anniversary edition.
I was originally looking at the 80th Anniversary but you can't get a body-colored hardtop unfortunately. And 1 other thing I didn't like was that LED taillights don't come as part of the "Premium LED Light Upgrade" package on this trim. The only way to get them - according to the Build feature on Jeep's website at least - is to also add the Safety package, which I thought was kinda lame.

Sponsored

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Check out the High Altitude or Freedom edition.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
It's been said, but you don't need a Rubicon. The point of that package is the off road traction aids, and you pay for them. Overland is the package the marketing department assembled precisely for your demographic. There are others that might also be good, and have been mentioned above, but Overland is the least expensive of them.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Overland based off everything you say. Overland is a great and I love mine. I’m kind of in a similar situation although I do plan a bit of light off road. But there’s so much you can do to really any trim but I think the Overland is one of the best for the value.

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
It's been said, but you don't need a Rubicon. The point of that package is the off road traction aids, and you pay for them. Overland is the package the marketing department assembled precisely for your demographic. There are others that might also be good, and have been mentioned above, but Overland is the least expensive of them.
+1 on this for your needs.

John Hursh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Beermeister
Test drive the models that interest you. Take them on the highway, in the city, and on the twistys that you will drive daily. I liked the Rubicon, thought I wanted a Mojave, and bought an Overland after test driving them.

So far I have towed our 3,500 pound trailer 3,600 of the 16,000 miles on my Jeep. i miss my 17 JKUS 6mt, but wow is my 20 JTO great. Out today kayaking at the lake. At 73 I don’t need a 6” lift or 47” tires to crawl on boulders or slog through swamps to smile in my Overland. (Respect my brothers & sisters in the Jeep community who rebuild their rigs with lifts and big tires, but they’re not what I need for how I use my Glady).

Last edited:

Sponsored

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
Hi all, in the market for a Jeep. I'm still not 100% on the Gladiator (still considering a Wrangler as well), but I do really love the truck. I have never owned a Jeep before so making the final decision of which one to go with has been challenging. So with that said, please feel free to offer any advice, suggestions, opinions, etc.!

To preface this, I will never take my Jeep off-road. Yes, I understand that will probably annoy some (many?), but I'm just being honest. I live in South FL suburbs and work in the city of Miami. This truck will be my daily driver. I want one because I think they look awesome, are practical (4 doors + a truck bed, which I WILL use), they have good resale value and I find them enjoyable to drive.

I think my decision comes down to either an Overland or Rubicon trim. I will list below the "must-have" features for me, but one is the Eco Diesel engine. I think the Mojave would've been the best all-around choice for me, but not being offered with the diesel is a deal-breaker, unfortunately. I like the stance + wider track of the Rubicon over the Overland, but don't really need any of the off-road features it has. Anyway, here are my must-haves:
*Eco Diesel engine
*Body-colored hardtop
*Body-colored fenders
*8.4" infotainment
*LED headlights AND taillights
*Trailer-tow package
*I also want the ability to run 20" wheels with 35"-37" tires, and I plan to add the Mopar 2" Lift Kit to whichever trim I go with.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated, thanks!
I have the Overland and love it - still averaging 23mpg with stock wheels after 25k driven and lots of comfort/no complaints. Body color freedom top; stored the front panels for the summer and added the sunrider for convenience. Mopar 3-section hard tonneau cover - very secure and no leaks.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
The High Altitude might be worth looking at.
It comes with 20's and has the same wide-track axels as the Rubicon, but is a street biased truck.

OP
OP

KtrainHurricane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The High Altitude might be worth looking at.
It comes with 20's and has the same wide-track axels as the Rubicon, but is a street biased truck.
I didn’t realize it had the different axels…thanks!

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Just purchased a HA as my wife’s daily driver. She has had two previous Jeep’s, a JK and JL. Both 2 doors. I sold my half ton truck we had for towing/ hauling needs and bought an SUV for practicality reasons. She said we needed a truck to tow/haul still, so I said you buy one. She loved her Wranglers, so here we are, with a JT and she loves it.
She works for Jeep (Stellantis), got a very nice price, and has the best of both worlds now, a Wrangler with a box.
We looked at and drove all the trims and the HA was her favourite because of the ride and features for her needs which sound like yours.
As mentioned it comes with 20’s and just about everything else she had wanted in the HA package that we found we were adding to other trim levels.
Sponsored