Sponsored

Who here does not use LED because the lens is not heated?

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Here is a pic from Wednesday. Light snow plus road spray and temps around 5F - driving at 65ish mph from Cologne MN to St. Paul MN - about 35 miles in 35 mins. Headlights were on the whole way...

When can I buy your heaters @ORACLElights?!
Jeep Gladiator Who here does not use LED because the lens is not heated? 20210218_090449
Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I live in Texas. We never get “winter weather” here. Oh wait...

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
Initial cold weather testing is going very well, we are making some small adjustments to the programming but excellent results so far!

This design is 100% plug and play, no additional wiring required for the heating element. Integrated temperature sensors are built into the lights and the lights include a small status LED to tell you when the heater element is on.

Jeep Gladiator Who here does not use LED because the lens is not heated? 20210218_090449
Nice work! The element looks like a low poly snowflake. I’m definitely holding out for heated. We get wet and heavy snow and little highway lighting out here so many years of limited light output when needed most.
The JTs buckets just compound the problem so haven’t moved to LED yet.

And of all the features, it would be really awesome to offer these heated ones, being they are sold for winter climates, with a warmer temperature light. Maybe 3500k or so. The glare of ultra white LEDs in the snow and winter fog is another huge pain point of LEDs.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
My preference would be a manual on/off switch for the heater element. Most days that are cold do not come with snow or freezing rain, so there is no need to heat your headlights. If the heater element kicked on automatically below a certain temp, on all the cold days with no precipitation, you'd just be needlessly reducing the life expectancy of the heater element.

EDIT: if the life-expectancy of the heater is equivalent to the life expectancy of the LED bulb, then my contribution to this conversation is moot. However, I think LED bulbs have a much longer life-expectancy than a heating element.

Last edited:

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I don't understand why anyone would care if the heating element is on automatically when the temp is low enough? My Trucklites on my JKR are always on as far as I know and it has never been a problem and I never have to think about it.

Having to manually turn them on just means you've already noticed a degradation of light output, so it's a bit late then.
Respectfully - I disagree with the part of your post I put in bold. I would turn the heater element on anytime it was snowing or freezing rain - I wouldn't wait for my headlights to get dim. I do understand your preference for an automatic system though. Personally, I'd rather just turn it on when I want it on, and off when I want it off. I am assuming that the LED bulbs will outlive the heater element, and that is why I'd like to be able to turn off the heater. Am I wrong with that assumption?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is Joy Ride's post (Post #33) - Sorry, couldn't figure out how to do multiple quotes:

If anything I would tie it to the rear defroster button.
[/QUOTE]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Respectfully - I disagree with this too. The rear defroster can work quite quickly, and you may not need it on for very long. You will probably want the headlight heater on during the entire length of a drive through a snowstorm. That could be many hours. Just my two cents!

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
ORACLElights

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturer
Nice work! The element looks like a low poly snowflake. I’m definitely holding out for heated. We get wet and heavy snow and little highway lighting out here so many years of limited light output when needed most.
The JTs buckets just compound the problem so haven’t moved to LED yet.

And of all the features, it would be really awesome to offer these heated ones, being they are sold for winter climates, with a warmer temperature light. Maybe 3500k or so. The glare of ultra white LEDs in the snow and winter fog is another huge pain point of LEDs.
That brings up a very interesting and valid point.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Hello northern friends! We are working on a heated lens option for our 9" headlight and wanted to get some feedback from the members here.

There are a few ways we are currently exploring to wire the heating element, your feedback would help us design a product that best fits your needs.

Do you prefer the heating element to work off of a temperature sensor to turn the heat on and off based on a pre-set temperature threshold? Would you rather a separate power cable that can be tapped to the defroster switch or to a manual switch?

Option 1: Temperature Sensor
Pros: Easy to install, no additional wiring.
Cons: Power is jumped from the headlight power input so the heater would not turn on unless you turn the headlights on.

Option 2: Separate Power Cable Tapped to Defroster
Pros: Will start defrosting the headlights with windshield defroster when vehicle is remote started.
Cons: Requires additional wiring connection during installation.

Let us know your thoughts!
If the heating element has the same longevity as the LED then its a wash...Do I need a heating element all the time...no. Will I need it every winter...maybe not. But, when I need it (ALCAN Highway in a DEC blizzard), then I need it, and its too late then to say, I shoulda gotten the one with the heating element.

fyrefight

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiaor Willys Snazzberry
Occupation
Utility Operator
Hello northern friends! We are working on a heated lens option for our 9" headlight and wanted to get some feedback from the members here.

There are a few ways we are currently exploring to wire the heating element, your feedback would help us design a product that best fits your needs.

Do you prefer the heating element to work off of a temperature sensor to turn the heat on and off based on a pre-set temperature threshold? Would you rather a separate power cable that can be tapped to the defroster switch or to a manual switch?

Option 1: Temperature Sensor
Pros: Easy to install, no additional wiring.
Cons: Power is jumped from the headlight power input so the heater would not turn on unless you turn the headlights on.

Option 2: Separate Power Cable Tapped to Defroster
Pros: Will start defrosting the headlights with windshield defroster when vehicle is remote started.
Cons: Requires additional wiring connection during installation.

Let us know your thoughts!
Option 1 all the way.

Sponsored

Giljr572

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S "Max Tow"
Occupation
Military
Initial cold weather testing is going very well, we are making some small adjustments to the programming but excellent results so far!

This design is 100% plug and play, no additional wiring required for the heating element. Integrated temperature sensors are built into the lights and the lights include a small status LED to tell you when the heater element is on.

Jeep Gladiator Who here does not use LED because the lens is not heated? tempImagebUAHUo
Jeep Gladiator Who here does not use LED because the lens is not heated? tempImagebUAHUo
Any update on when these might be available? Let us know!

OP
OP
ORACLElights

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Any update on when these might be available? Let us know!
We have completed testing of the final prototypes and we will begin production next month :)

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Following. I specifically ordered my Gladiator without LEDs because not only do I live in snow country, I'm one of those guys that when everyone is telling you to stay off the road, and the governor is declaring a state of emergency... I need to get to work. Having my lights ice up in a storm is not an option, or an excuse to stay home by the wood stove.

OP
OP
ORACLElights

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Good Morning!
We currently have one set of the *NEW* Heated Oculus headlight we will be launching next month. Since forum members provided feedback on this new product launch, we would like to offer this set to YOU! This is a brand new, however it just does not have the finalized retail boxing. For that we can give 10% off and FREE SHIPPING. The cost would be $626.36.

If anyone is interested please let me know and we can arrange this right away! We hope to get feedback and photos from this LUCKY person on this new product we are ready to release.

*First come first service*

-Melissa Boudreaux
Sponsored