Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I'm still a newb, so I probably should have done a search prior to posting, the video just got me excited.
Did you wet your pants?

21RG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
4Wheeling
Many years ago I went four wheeling with a guy who had a Land Cruiser on Volvo portal axles. It was pretty much bulletproof on every trail I seen it on. The guy was into old military vehicles and said he had the axles laying around so he put them on his 90's land cruiser
There were two in TN, one was orange and sold to someone out west a year or two ago. The other was solid white, it went through a couple of hands and ended up in PA with me. The LC was beat and trashed when I picked it up. I wheel it occasionallly.

I changed out the old drum brakes to disk brakes, I did a ton of machining to convert them. The axles may be going under my 2006 LJ.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Ah yes portal axles. Seems like everyone who finds out they exist gets initially excited about the idea until they discover the price. I know I did.

Ground and tire clearance without a body lift? What's not to love? Oh, wait they cost half as much as my truck uninstalled? Yea... I'll stick with the aev puck lift I have planned for one day.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The HUMVEE / Hummer H1 also have portal axles.

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Ah yes portal axles. Seems like everyone who finds out they exist gets initially excited about the idea until they discover the price. I know I did.

Ground and tire clearance without a body lift? What's not to love? Oh, wait they cost half as much as my truck uninstalled? Yea... I'll stick with the aev puck lift I have planned for one day.
Yeap... Price and then they also forget portals aren't so hot as a daily driver set up. They are cool for dirt work but they aren't something i would want to be crusin down the high way at 75 on.

Way to much additional wear and tear for that kinda of work, their is a reason they are only used on military rigs.

RubiNewbCB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD, 07 Mustang GT, 05 Hoe, 90 Fox body 393W
Occupation
USN Seabee (1994-2021Ret.) / Current status DoD Contractor

There's a Gladiator in this video with Portals from the Link shared earlier.

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
Yeah, I was going to say, if you really want portal axles a surplus HMMWV is probably the most pragmatic option. I wouldn't want them on a DD, you are stuck in a low gear ratio. Ever driven a humvee on the highway? It sucks.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
3.73 axle plus these particular portals is the equivalent of 4.56s (am I the only one that watched the video?). Plenty of people doing that daily on 37+ tires

No one's yet mentioned the additional drag of 4 extra gear reduction stages, but it's significant. Looking forward to someone showing up here saying "what's wrong with my 9mpg Jeep on portals"

Sponsored

timwiller

First Name
tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 J-3600 Gladiator. 2021 Willys Sport
Occupation
retired

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Seems like new wheels would be in order to keep the tires semi tucked. Maybe I'm just overthinking it, but it it looks like you need something with an extra 2" inches to keep them under the flares.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Portals are pretty cool, but that screams "maintenance nightmare" to me. Wonder how much more noise and parasitic drag is introduced by all of those extra gears? Leverage on an already sketchy front axle housing/ball joints?

21RG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
4Wheeling

They are portal hubs set on an independent suspension. I broke several of them along with the sub-frame on deployments. The steering is extremely weak. The brakes are awesome, but set on the outer edges of the differential and not on the hubs where the tires mount.
Sponsored