Sponsored

Why are off-road teardrop trailers so doggone expensive?

turkeyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I've been looking at a few options for camping, including teardrop trailers like Vorsheer XOC. I can't figure out why they are so expensive? It seems crazy that they cost as much as a well equipped car. Am I missing something?
Sponsored

OP
OP

turkeyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Sounds like the margins must be super high for manufacturers then? I'm guessing there are not more players jumping in the market to manufacture them because demand is too weak to support a business model with slimmer margins?

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I don't think there is such a thing as a new, cheap camper of any quality out there regardless of design.
Best bet is trying to find something used to save some money. Still pretty tough to get a bargain.
Biggest bang for your buck is to build your own.....

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Have you seen the ways these off-road campers are built? Like a brick s#ithouse.

And there's the whole supply/demand thing...simple economic theory.

I wouldn't buy one with a matchsticks-worth of wood in it....it's probably being sold because someone is trying to simplify their life by dumping their problem(s) onto someone else.

I also--just my opinion--wouldn't build one. Spend your time USING it, not fighting over engineering design and other fitment issues....plus WARRANTY.

Sponsored

expfinn

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Check out SoCal Teardrops. They are one of the OG’s in the market and are still priced some wheat reasonably.

XJhawk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales Manager
We have an Air Opus in our sights.
We like the separated queen beds, super easy to deploy AND break down.

After seeing them in person, there is NO other camper in our plans. They are super tough, have an amazing outdoor kitchen, as well as a great fridge carrier.

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
They do seem pretty pricey but they are essentially hand made. There is not enough of a market for them to build economies of scale. Also: anything meant to go off-road also needs to be better engineered and built than a basic RV trailer. Hand crafting almost everything takes a lot of man hours and then people still got to make money from their efforts.

People are willing to pay the extra because it is a lifestyle choice. If there was a larger market you would see more competition and options that would drive down prices but we may never get there.

ArmyJeepGuy666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Im wondering the same dang thing. I cant believe these things cost half as much, if not more than my JT. what in the f---.

Sponsored

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
We have an Air Opus in our sights.
We like the separated queen beds, super easy to deploy AND break down.

After seeing them in person, there is NO other camper in our plans. They are super tough, have an amazing outdoor kitchen, as well as a great fridge carrier.

We are about to pull the trigger on an Air Opus as well. Love the space, durability, towability, and the fact that it can fit in my 3rd garage space with no problems.

We are up in the air right now as to get an Air Opus 2 or the soon to be released, and a little smaller, OpLite. If the OpLite has a shower, I think we'll go that route. It will just be for my wife and I and MAYBE our son (and we can move the table to do that). However, we're also getting a Root Top Tent for our truck rack system, and our son will likely use that by himself most of the time (and we can all fit in there if we just do a one nighter).

My dealer will have an OpLite to see soon, and we'll make our choice.

XJhawk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales Manager
Who is your local dealer in KC?

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
Who is your local dealer in KC?
Adventure Motors (https://adventure-motors.com/)

They do a lot of custom Toyota overlanding work, and deal Opus trailers.

They are acually also custom fitting my ACE Upper Decker and Custom Camping Concepts towers and bars, so that I can easily attach/remove the rack system from the Upper Decker. Having that done tomorrow.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Engineer - Telecom
Why are the Rooftop Tents so expensive as well? There don't seem to be many that you can get for under $1,000.00. There seems to be a growing demand for them, and they aren't so different from ground tents that they should command the prices they do in my opinion. Overlanding is obviously and expensive past time to take up. I have an old aluminum pop up tent trailer from 1969 that I am considering taking off it's trailer frame and mounting on top of my galdiator bed rack as an experiment. It would be heavier than most RTTs but it would sure be funny to drive to an overland event. It would look something like this.... :giggle:
Jeep Gladiator Why are off-road teardrop trailers so doggone expensive? Budgetlander
Sponsored