First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2024 Ram 2500
Occupation
Farmer
I got the diesel because, I'm use to the power and the fuel economy that the diesel provides. I have about 500 miles on the Gladiator now and it is showing 23 mpg. Of course, My Ram 3500 gets nowhere close to that mpg. But I can pull whatever I want to pull with the Ram.

Gladiator.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

BowlofSoup

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I got the diesel because, I'm use to the power and the fuel economy that the diesel provides. I have about 500 miles on the Gladiator now and it is showing 23 mpg. Of course, My Ram 3500 gets nowhere close to that mpg. But I can pull whatever I want to pull with the Ram.

Jeep Gladiator Why did you go diesel? Gladiator
So you have the jeep for everything and the ram for the things the jeep can't do. Perfect

Brokenaxle

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel
I went with the diesel for the torque. When I did some tests drives I took both the gas and diesel out on some typical Alberta windy days. The Pentastar really hunted for gears when maintaining speed against the headwind and hills, the diesel never even downshifted. When I visit my dadā€™s farm itā€™s a 8 hour drive so the highway drive is important. If Jeep offered the 5.7 Hemi or a factory supercharged V6 I would have went with that.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Going from a 7.500 lb Power Wagon that gets 10 mpg to a JTRD is a win in my book. I look at the Gladiator Rubi D as a baby Power Wagon. Can do the same things with better fuel mileage.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Okay, so you want the diesel for towing. The torque at the lower rpms versus the 3.6 revving high
I didnā€™t see anywhere in his post about towing, maybe I missed it. In the diesel you push the skinny peddle and it just goes. I understand the 3.6 to be a decent motor, but it doesnā€™t have near the power to push you a long. Itā€™s a motor that has +/- 20 to 40ftlbā€¦ 1/2 the torque of the diesel at a much higher rpm. The diesel is in the meat and potatoā€™s between 1400 to 2800. For reference, at 82ish mph Iā€™m turning +/- 2000 rpm. Outside of that it still has more torque. If you havenā€™t driven a diesel, I know how it would be difficult to understand. Unless your going up a steep grade or up a him with a strong head wind the diesel applies a bit more fuel and the turbo spools up, where as a gasser will scream and hold a lower gear or two. I may be off on the 3.6 numbers, but I believe it has 285hp and 260ftlbs of torque. The 3.0 has 260hp and 442ftlbs of torque. While the hp difference is minimal, the torque is huge. It just doesnā€™t have to work nearly as hard to yield the same benefits. The better economy and ability to upgrade tire sizes with much less urgency to run out and drop 2k on a re-gear are side benefits. If you think of it that wayā€¦the diesel option is only $2kā€¦if you were going to get an automatic tranny anyway. Also, the ZF that comes with the diesel option is an awesome transmission.

Example:
I rented a JL while on a business trip in Miami. On the highway the 2.0 felt more lively on the highway than the 3.6. You had to mash the go peddleā€¦but it would go. In city traffic, in my opinion, it was dangerous. The dam thing wouldnā€™t get out of its own way. The unspooled turbo power trying to move a 5,000 lb vehicle then the turbo would kick in forcing you to slam the brakes to you didnā€™t rear end the vehicle in front of you.

the diesel provides tons of torque from the first blip of the throttle and you steadily feel the squeeze increase as the seat back presses into your body. Itā€™s constant. Noā€¦Iā€™m not talking about a 1000 horsepower and torque monster, but the power delivery of the 3.0 matches the truck betterā€¦more relaxed.

Now if he was referring to towingā€¦ a gasser will scream and yield minimal benefits. A diesel hunkers down and goes. The heavier the weight, the more sensitive it is to itā€™s power band limits, but in a gasser it would seem like itā€™s ladened all the time. I hope that made senseā€¦been a long dayā€¦lol

Last edited:

a48jeep

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Ecodiesel, 1975 CJ6 and 1998 TJ6
Occupation
Estimator/PM Commercial Glass
Partially, I just like the sound they make! I prefer the benefits of a heavy duty transmission. A diesels ability to do efficient work has always impressed me. Hopefully I enjoy the 3.0 as much or more than all the Jeep 4.0 (4.2 and 4.6), in-line sixes.

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Having owned both, diesel all day and everyday. Superior mpg and superior everyday drive ability. My 3.6, albeit a good motor, just lacked torque and it shifted like mad during my mountainous commute. My 3.0 cruises in 7th and 8th, mostly 8th even on hills and returns 4-5mpg better on 34ā€ e rated tires and the same lift. For comparison my 3.6 did have 35ā€ duratracs but the truck was about 500lbs lighter too. With my 3.0, keeping it in torque band, it pulls hard and has had zero issue passing on inclines. Diesel drives better in the snow too. As for DEF, Ive added 2 gal in 5000km with my level back up to nearly 100%. So $20 in 5000km, not complaining, Ive saved that in less than 2 tanks of diesel. But add $$ for a good diesel fuel additive. I use Stanadyne Performance $48 for 1L jug and that gives me 13 fill ups.

Trout Safari

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I went over a couple times a year for over 25 years to Afica on Safari. The Landcruiser's and Defender trucks in models unavailable here were all diesel. They are some really cool looking trucks and we have some amazing trips. Back here in the states while filling my jeep at a station, or walking on the street a wiff of diesel, or that rumble sound when a diesel started up or drove on by would drift my mind back to the African bush. When jeep said they were coming out with a truck, I got excited to hear it was coming back. When I heard there was going to be a diesel, I knew that was for me. My new Trout Safari Build is on order. JT Rubicon Diesel. I have been ordering the mods and the build will begin when the Jeep arrives. I also have a matching Turtleback trailer being made which should arrive this spring.. So why did I buy a Diesel. Sure, the towing, the power or maybe just the Romance or possibly just because they built it.

Sponsored

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
The power. It's just a much better engine to drive everyday. I had the 3.6L in a JK and I had to wring the engine out just to get any power out of it.

AwesomeDad

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon Diesel, VW Passat gas
Occupation
Yes
Im here because having owned several diesels over the years I like the longevity and better fuel economy. Plus Diesel options are becoming limited in smaller vehicles and my one ton isn't exactly a great daily commuter....

JJ

Tart_Cart

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 STI, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Travel HCW
This will be my first jeep as well as my first Diesel, however I come from a family whos owned diesels for decades so Im not new to the concept.

The JT will be a daily driver, a weekend toy for wheeling, a tow truck for when the "race" car breaks etc. I cant leave any vehicle stock so I absolutely plan on 38s and most likely a 4.5" evo lift. The gasser can do all this yes. But with those tires and lift it will need a regear, thats 2k minimum. Then it will still get roughly 12-14mpg while the diesel will stay around 20 without the regear. Itll have more balls off the line as well without having to rev the piss out of it and seeming like youre trying to race everyone. Passing on the freeway isnt an event is just something youre able to do with one downshift vs 3.

To me the diesel seems like the best attempt at having your cake and eating it too. I dont want a daily that feels like its strung out all the time. Plus Im strongly considering the GDE tune and that will give you around 80lb/ft more of torque. A power gain really unheard of with the gasser, nevermind the +3mpg that comes with it.

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
I agree. It seems people need the diesel and they wouldn't have gone gladiator without it. I wonder how many diesel owners went gladiator over a bigger truck with a diesel like a Ram that could do more?

Did any owner go diesel gladiator and regret choosing a midsize versus a full size diesel? I guess I'm thinking the size of the vehicle could hamper what it can tow.

I have a manual sport s freedom because I don't tow. Went for that payload

Appreciate the responses. Love hearing people talk about their trucks!
My last two trucks were full size F150s. Not diesels, but Ecoboosts. The EB is an amazing engine with tones of power and pretty decent mpg actually. I really like it. I do kinda miss some of the space inside but I do not miss the space outside at all. The small truck is a much better fit for me, my garage, my lifestyle. I rest drove a Mojave and loved the ride, but hated the engine. After living with the EB and it's 400 ftlbs of torque at 1800rpm I just couldn't do the 3.6. The Ecodiesel is the only choice for me. Luckily I don't tow heavy loads in hot weather, and I have a garage to park it in for the couple months of -20+ weather we get here in Atlantic Canada. The only real concern I have is that my commute is short and so are most of my trips. Not sure how that will effect the truck long term. I will just try to get out for a decent drive at least once a week.

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
Going from a 7.500 lb Power Wagon that gets 10 mpg to a JTRD is a win in my book. I look at the Gladiator Rubi D as a baby Power Wagon. Can do the same things with better fuel mileage.
A baby Power Wagon, I like that!
Sponsored