Sponsored

Why do you like or dislike Auto start stop (ESS)?

3-pedal-Rub

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Night Train, Buell Lightning, TL, 4runner, JTR
Why do so many people seem not like (or if you like it) stop start or ESS? Just looking for peoples reasons for or against, not hating or being confrontational. I just simply want to know peoples thoughts.

For me, I like stop start.
1) If you have a manual and stall it, press the clutch in and it automatically starts again! (without resetting your radio ;))
2) Its disabled in 4 low so no worries off road.
3) The heat or air con will override it and start the vehicle if its too hot or cold.
4) They test the heck out of the starters, most tests being more the 1,000,000 stop starts back to back in hot cells and cold cells. I have not heard of stop start vehicle starters failing prematurely in recent years (to be fair I also have not searched hard)

The only real time I don't like it is when I'm in traffic and it starts, roll 4 feet then turns off over and over. That's when I turn it off.

It defiantly takes some getting use to, I had it on my manual diesel mini cooper and have driven many auto vehicles with it. Once you get use to knowing when the light is going to change and you release the brake a little or push the clutch in and she lights, getting use to that timing I have never felt stranded or waiting on the vehicle to leave the light to pull out into traffic.
What.. do you work for Jeep or something?
Sponsored

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A, 1968 Jeepster Commando, M422 Mighty Mite and 2020 Gladiator Bright White
Vehicle Showcase
My "ESS" does not work - don't know why - if I did, I would sell the intel.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
What I really want to know is why doesn't it seem to turn off in park? that mode seems like a given to turn off, especially if climate control is off..
It does not shut off in park ( and restarts if it has shut off before being put in park) so that you don’t forget to hit the start button to turn the vehicle to off. Likewise for the manual trans, if it has shut off and you open the door it restarts. To do otherwise would allow you to exit the vehicle thinking the vehicle was ‘Off’ because the engine is not running, when reality is the system is still in ‘Run’ .

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
It does not shut off in park ( and restarts if it has shut off before being put in park) so that you don’t forget to hit the start button to turn the vehicle to off. Likewise for the manual trans, if it has shut off and you open the door it restarts. To do otherwise would allow you to exit the vehicle thinking the vehicle was ‘Off’ because the engine is not running, when reality is the system is still in ‘Run’ .
I guess, just used to my prius doing that for 6 years and beeping like crazy if I forget to shut it off when exiting. Just feels so dumb like today when I pulled into a parking spot, jeep shutoff, I switched to park and it immediately turned back on. Just really seems counter intuitive. Or like when I am doing yard work and it is running constantly when I get out for a few minutes to load something. The system isn't bad, but could really use some tuning, I think also the size of the engine is just shocking since it makes some noise compared to smaller cars with a similar feature. I guess maybe like you said they went this way since many people are not used to a system like this yet.

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I hate it, which is why I installed the chip to keep the previous button memory and never have to deal with it again.

Krazy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 310gs
I live by allot of roundabouts, start stop sucks when navigating roundabouts. Nothing builds confidence like your engine turning off right when you need to get in queue .

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
My opinion on this feature has slightly changed. I live in a neighborhood with some long lights, where if you just missed the light, you are going to be sitting burning gas for a long time. But I don't want to shift into park, turn off engine, and later re-start with all the impact to the radio, hvac, etc that implies.

However, what I want is a button to turn off the engine, then have it auto-start when I let off the brake to go. Only to be used in those circumstances when you know you about to sit at a long light. But off by default. I installed the Smart Start Stop system which *almost* works like this. I can hit the button to stop engine at a long light and then have it restart. But I just want it to re-default to "off" as soon as I roll again. At this point, I am using this occasionally but then immediately push the button back to "off", which the add-in dongle is smart enough to maintain.

If the start/stop system were "off" by default, then you had the option to turn it on for a single stoplight instance and it would turn itself off, that would be useful. For those who like the automatic cycling, a long-press of the button could turn it "on" latching. Usability 101.

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
I live by allot of roundabouts, start stop sucks when navigating roundabouts. Nothing builds confidence like your engine turning off right when you need to get in queue .
Is this a manual Jeep Truck? I have an XC40 Volvo that has the start stop feature, and it might linger for a millisecond, if I hit the gas it goes. I can only imagine the start stop function on a manual, where you are on a steep hill in San Francisco and it kicks off, and what happens next. Egads. I can’t imagine that function is available on a manual transmission. If you are talking about an automatic I can’t imagine that it make any difference at all in a roundabout or a standard intersection?

JC

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
My opinion on this feature has slightly changed. I live in a neighborhood with some long lights, where if you just missed the light, you are going to be sitting burning gas for a long time. But I don't want to shift into park, turn off engine, and later re-start with all the impact to the radio, hvac, etc that implies.

However, what I want is a button to turn off the engine, then have it auto-start when I let off the brake to go. Only to be used in those circumstances when you know you about to sit at a long light. But off by default. I installed the Smart Start Stop system which *almost* works like this. I can hit the button to stop engine at a long light and then have it restart. But I just want it to re-default to "off" as soon as I roll again. At this point, I am using this occasionally but then immediately push the button back to "off", which the add-in dongle is smart enough to maintain.

If the start/stop system were "off" by default, then you had the option to turn it on for a single stoplight instance and it would turn itself off, that would be useful. For those who like the automatic cycling, a long-press of the button could turn it "on" latching. Usability 101.
I really like the idea of being able to manually control it. The second most frustrating part is it not triggering when it needs to which it looks like your device can overcome.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
I have been to some 50 countries and travel often for work. When I am in Germany I rent a car for months at a time. They all have this stop start feature and I dont mind it at all. I have had a manual and automatics with it. I dont care, dont even think about it. Anything to help a little gas mileage.

I have not read all 12 pages to this point but did anyone realize the Jeep now has a beefier starter motor, and a dual battery for this purpose. WIth this setup we get better parts. I am stoked. Its a great added value to me as well as to my 240 amp alternator and eventual subwoofer and amplifer I am going to install under the seat or behind the rear bench.

George D.

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 1969 Corvette, 2002 HD FXDL, 2002 HD VRSCA, 2002 HD XL, 2002 Buell M2, 1999 HD MT500, 1997 HD FLSTS, XL,
I hate it, which is why I installed the chip to keep the previous button memory and never have to deal with it again.
When I get in my jeep I steel a practice from the airline industry.......ESS Disabled, CHECK!

George D.

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 1969 Corvette, 2002 HD FXDL, 2002 HD VRSCA, 2002 HD XL, 2002 Buell M2, 1999 HD MT500, 1997 HD FLSTS, XL,

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A, 1968 Jeepster Commando, M422 Mighty Mite and 2020 Gladiator Bright White
Vehicle Showcase
Huge waste of technology on a manual transmission truck. It only shuts down the engine if trans is in neutral and clutch is released. So far, waiting for a train is the only time it activated. Normal stop in traffic is in gear with c!utch depressed. But, i got it and paid for it.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Huge waste of technology on a manual transmission truck. It only shuts down the engine if trans is in neutral and clutch is released. So far, waiting for a train is the only time it activated. Normal stop in traffic is in gear with c!utch depressed. But, i got it and paid for it.
Pretty much you are in control of the whole process... save gas if you choose. Or don’t. Trans in neutral, clutch released, vehicle stopped is exactly when you are averaging 0 mpg. Exactly the time you would want the technology to be saving gas. Just another aspect of the manual trans experience. Driver is always in full control.
Sponsored