First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1967 Toyota LandCruiser
Occupation
Engineer
I have searched this forum and could only find one mention of Ramsey and no details about them.
http://www.ramsey.com/shop/applications/off-road/re12000rx/

Does anyone have experience with Ramsey winches or know anything about the company? It seems odd to me that there's no mention of them here, considering many winches are discussed.

Thanks for anything you can share!
Sponsored

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Ramsey Winches knows what he did.

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
I have searched this forum and could only find one mention of Ramsey and no details about them.

Does anyone have experience with Ramsey winches or know anything about the company? It seems odd to me that there's no mention of them here, considering many winches are discussed.

You still haven't gotten a smittybilt yet?

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
Ramsey is big on industrial winches. BIG winches for logging etc. The Rec market is not their focus.

block

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jk
i had a Ramsey which before on a jeep and i really liked it .. no issues

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
I've run a Ramsey on my Rock Crawling focused TJ. I never had an issue with it, and even purchased it locally back then at Northern Tool. Great setup with 100% up time.

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
Load indicator, tie bar light, light on the remote, proven winch. But people will still buy the VR Warn...

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The last time I remember seeing ads from them, they were really pushing their hydraulic winches. That must have been the late 90's? The complexity of the installs was a problem, if you don't have a ram on your steering and don't have a giant PS pump, it's a hassle. A buddy has hydraulic steering on his '04 GC and he still went with an electric winch.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a Ramsey winch REP 8000 had it for last 20 plus years, It's been a dang good winch and have used the heck out of it. I did mount it on my JT at first but changed it out after I got a new winch. Nothing wrong with it just been used a lot and showing its age and wear. It's not failed me, I would buy another if I needed it.
The company with hydraulic winch is Mile Marker I was going to get that when I got my Ramsey years ago. I have a short drum 6k M M winch it was on my LJ for many years until I was using it and it decides to free spool under load, off it came and on went a a Q-Tec 9000 winch.

OP
OP
OnEdge

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
They have a large following of generations of winch consumers. Advertising is not necessary for Ramsey. They claim Winches are engineered and manufactured in Tulsa, OK. Not sure if that means "ALL" their Winches? If they are they may be the only manufacturer that still builds everything here in the States.

https://usamadeproducts.biz/tools-automotive-tools-winches.html#:~:text=and Tulsa, Oklahoma.-,Ramsey,still made in the USA.&text=on the first layer and,or speed reducer you need.
Gotcha! Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
OnEdge

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I've got a Ramsey winch REP 8000 had it for last 20 plus years, It's been a dang good winch and have used the heck out of it. I did mount it on my JT at first but changed it out after I got a new winch. Nothing wrong with it just been used a lot and showing its age and wear. It's not failed me, I would buy another if I needed it.
The company with hydraulic winch is Mile Marker I was going to get that when I got my Ramsey years ago. I have a short drum 6k M M winch it was on my LJ for many years until I was using it and it decides to free spool under load, off it came and on went a a Q-Tec 9000 winch.
Actually, I have an old Ramsey worm drive winch on my semi-retired 1967 FJ45. I have had that thing on my LandCruiser for like 35 years of so and never had a problem with it. It's a beast! I wonder if this style would fit in the steel Rubicon bumper? https://www.quadratec.com/products/92142_162_07.htm

How well did the REP 8000 fit on your rig? It's a bit smaller than the worm drive...

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
Actually, I have an old Ramsey worm drive winch on my semi-retired 1967 FJ45. I have had that thing on my LandCruiser for like 35 years of so and never had a problem with it. It's a beast! I wonder if this style would fit in the steel Rubicon bumper? https://www.quadratec.com/products/92142_162_07.htm

How well did the REP 8000 fit on your rig? It's a bit smaller than the worm drive...
So you have a Ramsey winch and are asking people about them. That’s interesting.
Sponsored