Sponsored

Wicked rear passenger head impact!! Updated JL crash test. Where is the rear side curtain?

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
I am hearing that Jeep is cutting the 2022 Gladiator/Wrangler orders short (compared to the 2021 model year run) and launching 2023s this summer. Some speculation over on the JL forums seems to peg this to an auto emergency braking update as standard across the line for govment compliance.

If Jeep doesn't include a rear side curtain airbag on the JL and JT in the 2023 model year, you have to be ducking kidding me. Auto emergency braking is bullshit compared to the impacts felt on a side impact by a rear passenger with their head bashing into the rear door frame and hard/soft top framing.

take a look for yourself at the link for the IIHS test: JL updated crash test

The fact that Jeep has gotten away with the lack of this feature for this long is abysmal.

I still don't understand those who want crank windows, but I can understand the desire to not be forced to buy all the other tech stuff like a bigger infotainment unit. Airbags are different, and there is no excuse.
Sponsored

Last edited:

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
I am hearing that Jeep is cutting the 2022 Gladiator/Wrangler orders short (compared to the 2021 model year run) and laughing 2023s this summer. Some speculation over on the JL forums seems to peg this to an auto emergency braking update as standard across the line for govment compliance.

If Jeep doesn't include a rear side curtain airbag on the JL and JT in the 2023 model year, you have to be ducking kidding me. Auto emergency braking is bullshit compared to the impacts felt on a side impact by a rear passenger with their head bashing into the rear door frame and hard/soft top framing.

take a look for yourself JL updated crash test

The fact that Jeep has gotten away with the lack of this feature for this long is abysmal.

I still don't understand those who want crank windows, but I can understand the desire to not be forced to buy all the other tech stuff like a bigger infotainment. Airbags are different, and there is no excuse.
If you look at the JL in context of other vehicles it was tested against in this updated version of the side impact test, it performed extremely well. In fact the rear occupancy was the only low score it achieved and that’s solely due to having no rear side curtain airbags. This is also very common on most other convertibles, as there simply aren’t structural places to install such equipment. The JL scored leagues higher than both the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade (besting them in every category). So while yes the rear occupancy may not be the greatest, there are much worse options available.

Edit: This is the full graph comparing all of the vehicles tested and their scores compared directly to each other broken down by category.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
If you look at the JL in context of other vehicles it was tested against in this updated version of the side impact test, it performed extremely well. In fact the rear occupancy was the only low score it achieved and that’s solely due to having no rear side curtain airbags. This is also very common on most other convertibles, as there simply aren’t structural places to install such equipment. The JL scored leagues higher than both the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade (besting them in every category). So while yes the rear occupancy may not be the greatest, there are much worse options available.
Modern vehicle safety also isn't even playing the same sport as vehicles even 10-15 years ago let alone the stuff before that. A 5-star Volvo wagon from 2000 wouldn't even pass modern testing and that was considered the pinnacle of safety engineering.

Yeah accidents happened and people died, but all you need to look at is the fatality numbers over the past few decades to realize even the JL/JT is crazy safe compared to those that came before it.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
This is also very common on most other convertibles, as there simply aren’t structural places to install such equipment.
One place would be if the convertible had a roll bar, but I guess you could put airbags in the Jeep sound bar.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Some speculation over on the JL forums seems to peg this to an auto emergency braking update as standard across the line for govment compliance.
Well now I'm thrilled to be getting my MY22. This is not the type of vehicle I want AEB on. Don't need $1500 windshield replacement on a flat stone magnet windshield.

Sponsored

Zero_Accel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Well now I'm thrilled to be getting my MY22. This is not the type of vehicle I want AEB on. Don't need $1500 windshield replacement on a flat stone magnet windshield.
I believe the sensor for the adaptive cruise is just behind the windsheild, under the rear view mirror. I would believe that that location would be the best place for the sensors, if they're not there already.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I believe the sensor for the adaptive cruise is just behind the windsheild, under the rear view mirror. I would believe that that location would be the best place for the sensors, if they're not there already.
I am aware. Sensors behind windshield need calibration when windshields are replaced. Makes the windshield replacement more expensive. Depending on if they use a static or dynamic system anywhere from a little more expensive to $1500 for a windshield.

They are not already there on any gladi or wrangler without safety packages

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
The ADAS sensor is affixed to the front of the roll bar under the rear view mirror. Having it won’t impact how expensive the windshield costs to be replaced because it’s not attached directly to the windshield like most other vehicles.

Also another thing to keep in mind with this test is that this is the *new* version which subjects the cars and test dummies to 82% more impact energy than the previous test.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Having it won’t impact how expensive the windshield costs to be replaced because it’s not attached directly to the windshield like most other vehicles.
Still will require calibration. Any idea if it's a static or dynamic ADAS sensor array?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I am aware. Sensors behind windshield need calibration when windshields are replaced. Makes the windshield replacement more expensive. Depending on if they use a static or dynamic system anywhere from a little more expensive to $1500 for a windshield.

They are not already there on any gladi or wrangler without safety packages
Only needs recalibration if not using OEM glass

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Only needs recalibration if not using OEM glass
Unless OEM has NASA level tolerances for glass thickness (they don't) it will still require calibration

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
The auto braking saved me the second day I had the vehicle.
I was on a two lane. A pickup well ahead of me had signaled to turn right. I was still learning the vehicle and was glancing at the various dash screens. I had discounted the vehicle ahead because I had mentally processed that it would be well out of my path by the time I got there. Turning right into a private driveway.
Next thing I know the Jeep is braking hard and that pickup is still sitting in the road.
No idea why, but it was.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cue the excuses and fan boys.

I knew I was taking a big step down from my 2007 Volvo when I bought the Gladiator. That thing has full curtain side airbags. They run from the top of the door to the floor from the front of the door to the back. In the front and rear seats.

With that said, I found that I drove it way way too fast.

I now drive like a little old lady in the Jeep so I am a much safer driver. There is absolutely nothing satisfying about hustling the Jeep around a corner. So I don't.

Even still, it is time for side curtain airbags.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator

Edit: This is the full graph comparing all of the vehicles tested and their scores compared directly to each other broken down by category.
I would be content with this argument if a video didn't exist depicting a pretty horrendous head bash. Considering the technology and modern engineering that exists today, there's no reason for rear-seated passengers to eat shit and suffer gnarly head trauma unnecessarily. It's a lazy argument and I believe it's fandom clouding judgement IMO

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Unless OEM has NASA level tolerances for glass thickness (they don't) it will still require calibration
The sensors arent attached to the glass and the vehicle is designed with a folding down windshield unlike the usual cars. Tech's i've talked to have all said unecessary if its oem glass.
Sponsored