Sponsored

Wicked rear passenger head impact!! Updated JL crash test. Where is the rear side curtain?

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
The ADAS sensor is affixed to the front of the roll bar under the rear view mirror. Having it won’t impact how expensive the windshield costs to be replaced because it’s not attached directly to the windshield like most other vehicles.

Also another thing to keep in mind with this test is that this is the *new* version which subjects the cars and test dummies to 82% more impact energy than the previous test.
Correct. They did that because the windshield can be lowered onto the hood. That is why Jeep provide a cover for the ADAS when you put the front windshield down in order to protect the sensor. I have the cover in my back storage and it has a picture on how tp put on the cover when you put the windshield down.
Sponsored

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Cue the excuses and fan boys.

I knew I was taking a big step down from my 2007 Volvo when I bought the Gladiator. That thing has full curtain side airbags. They run from the top of the door to the floor from the front of the door to the back. In the front and rear seats.

With that said, I found that I drove it way way too fast.

I now drive like a little old lady in the Jeep so I am a much safer driver. There is absolutely nothing satisfying about hustling the Jeep around a corner. So I don't.

Even still, it is time for side curtain airbags.
I moved to the gladiator from a convertible BMW….my safety factor in a side impact went WAAAAAY up with the gladiator since I drove with the top and windows down every day and my head and everyone else’s in my car was at bumper height for every truck out there. The airbag out the side of the seat would not have done a thing with the top and windows down with a bumper at my head :)

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
The 2024 models will have a quantum force field that repels all impacts.
Lol you realize we're talking about airbags... those things that have existed since the 70s. Why does this one request get everyone's panties in a bunch? Wouldn't more people be inclined to buy these with improved safety ratings? What does Jeep have to lose?

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cherokee , 2021 JTMojave (punjabi), 22 gobiator
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
So the JT has side airbag curtains for the front passenger and driver?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The sensors arent attached to the glass and the vehicle is designed with a folding down windshield unlike the usual cars. Tech's i've talked to have all said unecessary if its oem glass.
The windshield FRAME no longer folds, just the glass. So that's all structural.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if you think the impact that crash test dummy took in the JL was bad, go look at the test footage from larger “family-focused” vehicles. There’s no “fandom clouding judgement” here. I never said that what the results showed was inherently “acceptable”. But the JL test dummies faired better overall when compared to far more popular vehicles that are targeted directly towards families.
So the marginal rating has nothing to do with it??

Correct

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
So the marginal rating has nothing to do with it??
Which is why included the graph. The JL only received an overall score of marginal because it scored Poor (lowest rank) in that one test. Even though it scored Good (the highest rank) on everything else, the IIHS automatically rated it lower, as they don’t rate anything Good that has a Poor score in any category. Had it scored higher than Poor it would be an Acceptable rating at a minimum. Again, look at the scores of the other vehicles that went through that same test that are targeted towards families, and the JL passed with higher scores in more categories. Focusing just on the overall Marginal rating ignores the individual ratings of each test and how it compares to other vehicles in the segment.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Ever watch an old cops show from the 80s when they show accidents. Your average Japanese car or American economy car crumpled like a tin can.

Hell, my fiancée had a 2005 Kia Optima when I met her. That thing was so poorly engineered that when you jacked it up, the body flexed so much you couldn’t open the doors. No rust no accidents, just a poorly engineered, pile of shit like Korean cars were back then. She didn’t have that for very long before I helped her get another car. It was a POS all around.
I still have nightmares of all the used Kia pieces of shit that rolled in at that time when I turned wrenches for Jeep/Dodge. We got so effing many with the cash for clunkers deal and they all had dashboards lit up like a Christmas tree.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
It has side airbags in the front seats, it does not technically have side curtain airbags. Those would come have to come out from the roll bar for them to be considered side curtain. The seat side airbags serve the same function though as it expands out and up to protect the occupant from smashing in to the window.

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
Just here to say "crank window gang" :rock:

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I still have nightmares of all the used Kia pieces of shit that rolled in at that time when I turned wrenches for Jeep/Dodge. We got so effing many with the cash for clunkers deal and they all had dashboards lit up like a Christmas tree.
Forgot about the airbag light that was on. hah

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Actually that process is built in. Mine did NOT need calibration. There seems to be equating Jeep with other vehicles all too often.
Calibration is software, put it in calibrate mode, drive it, it's done.
And since it's mounted to the frame in a very real respect, it's not going to need anything in many cases.
I had mine replaced. The glass isn't more expensive, just a different part number.

I've had my windshield folded down and back up - everything still works perfectly.

Not in my case - I couldn't care less about that part for many many reasons - not the least of which is I did NOT buy a Grand Cherokee or a Lincoln, I bought a truck, 99.99999999% of the time there's no one and nothing back there.
If I wanted something to haul kids or passengers around in, I'd maybe looked elsewhere, but maybe not, too. You can only protect yourself so much in this world. If that concerned, wrap yourself in bubble wrap.

Those tests are so very specific, the odds are still with the people in the back. Boy people are getting weird over this.

Why buy one if you are so pissed about it? Huh?

I guess you have to upgrade vehicles every year - can't have any risks, now. The 2024 models will have a quantum force field that repels all impacts.

Man, how did our parents ever survive. How did we ever survive growing up?

I'm all for safety, but to bash a company because a niche vehicle aimed at a specific market isn't the safest in the world - and yet, here you are, it's hard to understand.
Great points. I bought a new CJ-5 in 1973 ($3500, yep $3500) with no top and it didn’t come even with seatbelts. The old guys here remember. When my daughter was born two years later I put in seatbelts. The dash was solid steel, no padding. Youall need to put this in context, not something we Americans seem too good at nowadays. Call me an old man, but I feel quite safe today compared to the best vehicle I ever had from 1973. "

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
Crank windows are a KISS theory thing, just to help the OP understand. Same for manual locks.

I'm all for replicating whatever side airbags they used on the front occupants to the back, sounds like it's in/by the seat as opposed to actual side curtain. That's a reasonable ask I feel like.

Other than that, I'm not trying to turn my Jeep into a Volvo. Sometimes I drive with the darn doors off, and I even ride a freaking trail bike on the road.

OP
OP
The Duck of Earl

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
Crank windows are a KISS theory thing, just to help the OP understand. Same for manual locks.

I'm all for replicating whatever side airbags they used on the front occupants to the back, sounds like it's in/by the seat as opposed to actual side curtain. That's a reasonable ask I feel like.

Other than that, I'm not trying to turn my Jeep into a Volvo. Sometimes I drive with the darn doors off, and I even ride a freaking trail bike on the road.
I understand the KISS theory. Just that power door locks and windows are something I don't think is an actual problem. The doors on my 2000 Ram are completely rusting out, I've replaced numerous other necessary electronic related things like the starter, thermostat, etc. and the radio, heat, and A/C just don't work. Through all of this the power locks and windows work great and never skipped a beat.

I agree that maybeI I misnamed the ask. Same airbag in the rear as they have in the front is not a hard ask.

I am not a safety nut by any means. Do plenty of action sports type pastimes, and my risk tolerance is relatively high. That said I sold my motorcycle after a few too many close calls, and am much more careful on my bicycle riding even on roads clearly marked as 'share the road' after getting clipped by a car and thrown up on their hood making a left cross on my green (luckily it was a small hatchback). I trust myself to stay within proper limits on a bike, skis, snowmobile, etc., but I don't trust that new driver in his/her daddy's F250 to not be tiktoking and barreling into the side my vehicle.
Sponsored