Sponsored

Z96 High Pressure Fuel Pump Recall!!!!!!

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Thanks. I have a concern on my 2022 JTRD produced in Aug 22 (though it was made 3 months after the suspect fuel pumps were last used) but a little bit nervous on how HotShots or any other brand may impact the warranty or have any unknown side effect. :)
Your concern is valid- the pump is still not goodā€¦ šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£ edt will help. Eventually a cp3 retrofit will be availableā€¦ read up on the cp4, itā€™s issues are by design.
EDT is Cheap insurance. Itā€™s not going to hurt your emissions components, will help in efficiency by adding a couple cetane, and it will lube the pump a little.

if your concern is with warranty etc. while Iā€™m not suggesting to be a scum bag if an issue does ariseā€¦. If something happens with my fuel pump etc. and The dealer Asks specifically if I used an additive- I would not confirm that I did or didnā€™tā€¦.. thatā€™s on them to figure out. šŸŗšŸ‘šŸ¼.
We run EDT in all 5 of our diesels every dayā€¦. Two tdiā€™s with cp4ā€™s, the gladiator with the cp4, a 2.8 crd Liberty, and a 6.0 power strokeā€¦. The 6.0 always has issues- but itā€™s satans motor and edt doesnā€™t help or make worse any of its issuesā€¦.
Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Question:
If fuel additives like Hotshots EDT help in prolonging the life of CP4, why is Stellantis not recommending use of Mopar or any equivalent to add lubricity to the fuel?

Also, among those whose fuel pumps failed, were any of them using such fuel additives?
Mine blew at 4581. Been using Hot shot's evey tank ever since. 27k plus miles no issues. I'm in the recall que. Picked up mine with 11 miles on it 4/30/21

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Been using EDT since the first tank. Almost 15,000 miles on it now. No issues. So far, I'm not on the recall list.

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
ULSD is great for emissions but awful for lubrication. Iā€™ve used Hot Shots EDT in every diesel Iā€™ve owned and have never had a problem. I use 2oz per tank.

OP
OP
CreepyJeepy

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
Hotshots EDT I saw on Amazon has LX4 in it. Are you using just the LX4 or the EDT with LX4?
1669611470548.png
Hotshots Everyday targets a bunch of benefits, which is awesome. The only thing we really need to focus on is fuel lubricity though.... If you look at the claims on the HotShots bottle you will notice a much smaller percentage increase in fuel lubricity vs using straight LX4.

The CP4 in our trucks cam profile / floating piston over cam design / roller within piston / spring tension can cause the piston to rotate 90 degrees then disintegrate.

It's rare if you read the numbers, but it does happen. When it does, it's a really really bad time.

Due to the LX4 targeting fuel lubricity directly, I don't need to run as much of it in the fuel... With EDT i was running 2-3oz, with LX4 I run 1.5oz.

So for me I use the LX4 because it targets the issue as a fuel pump lubricant, to reduce the chance of a pump implosion. EDT is great, but it's a goldilocks treatment, it's not targeting the issue.

Sponsored

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect
Hotshots Everyday targets a bunch of benefits, which is awesome. The only thing we really need to focus on is fuel lubricity though.... If you look at the claims on the HotShots bottle you will notice a much smaller percentage increase in fuel lubricity vs using straight LX4.

The CP4 in our trucks cam profile / floating piston over cam design / roller within piston / spring tension can cause the piston to rotate 90 degrees then disintegrate.

It's rare if you read the numbers, but it does happen. When it does, it's a really really bad time.

Due to the LX4 targeting fuel lubricity directly, I don't need to run as much of it in the fuel... With EDT i was running 2-3oz, with LX4 I run 1.5oz.

So for me I use the LX4 because it targets the issue as a fuel pump lubricant, to reduce the chance of a pump implosion. EDT is great, but it's a goldilocks treatment, it's not targeting the issue.
Makes sense.

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
FYI - I took my Gladiator in for service this morning and to address the recall. They did an oil change, rotated the tires, and then told me that Jeep should be sending me a letter regarding the recall. As of right now, my service writer says they don't have the parts required to address the issue. When I further inquire about the fix, my service writer says they are not even sure what the fix actually is or if there is one.

Fungshui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
FYI - I took my Gladiator in for service this morning and to address the recall. They did an oil change, rotated the tires, and then told me that Jeep should be sending me a letter regarding the recall. As of right now, my service writer says they don't have the parts required to address the issue. When I further inquire about the fix, my service writer says they are not even sure what the fix actually is or if there is one.
My dealer said the same thing and to check back in 6 months. šŸ˜…

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect
Anyone notice any difference in soot accumulation before and after using any HotShots additive, whether it be EDT or just LX4? Or any change in regen frequency?

Sponsored

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Well it is official that my CP4 HPFP is on the way out. At my last filter change of 34k miles, I change filters at every 10K, I found small metal shavings in the bottom of the filter housing. I cut the filter open but could not visibly see metal.

I spoke with the dealership and made an appointment to have the metering valve removed on the CP4 and look for metal. Here is what was found. My 2021 JTRD is scheduled to have a replacement CP4 installed on Friday. This is not a fix but a preemptive repair to avoid a catastrophic failure that would lead to all the HPF system to be replaced. They are going to flush the lines and install a new CP4 at this time. My JTRD is in the recall to be fixed. This is a warranty issue for now.

I caught this early and do not have any fault codes or issues with the way the engine performs. EDT has been used since I purchased it. I now run LX4 and EDT both from HotShot Secrets.

My CP4 is the old model as seen by all the dimples engraved on the top. The newer model only has one Large dimple engraved. Go to 7:13 in the YouTube clip.

EDIT: This is from the RAM recall to locate a newer model pump.

Cheers.

Jeep Gladiator Z96 High Pressure Fuel Pump Recall!!!!!! IMG_0533.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Z96 High Pressure Fuel Pump Recall!!!!!! IMG_0514.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Z96 High Pressure Fuel Pump Recall!!!!!! IMG_0539.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Z96 High Pressure Fuel Pump Recall!!!!!! IMG_0543.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Z96 High Pressure Fuel Pump Recall!!!!!! CP4 Metering Chamber.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
CreepyJeepy

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
Well it is official that my CP4 HPFP is on the way out. At my last filter change of 34k miles, I change filters at every 10K, I found small metal shavings in the bottom of the filter housing. I cut the filter open but could not visibly see metal.

I spoke with the dealership and made an appointment to have the metering valve removed on the CP4 and look for metal. Here is what was found. My 2021 JTRD is scheduled to have a replacement CP4 installed on Friday. This is not a fix but a preemptive repair to avoid a catastrophic failure that would lead to all the HPF system to be replaced. They are going to flush the lines and install a new CP4 at this time. My JTRD is in the recall to be fixed. This is a warranty issue for now.

I caught this early and do not have any fault codes or issues with the way the engine performs. EDT has been used since I purchased it. I now run LX4 and EDT both from HotShot Secrets.

My CP4 is the old model as seen by all the dimples engraved on the top. The newer model only has one Large dimple engraved. Go to 7:13 in the YouTube clip.

Cheers.

Jeep Gladiator Z96 High Pressure Fuel Pump Recall!!!!!! CP4 Metering Chamber.JPG

Thanks for sharing!
The metering valve images you posted, are those images from your jeep? If so I donā€™t see any metal in the images? Maybe itā€™s my phone screen?

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it is from my CP4. There are only a few, but any is not good. Before I replaced the metering valve (FCA/MPROP), I used a magnet to extract any of the metal shavings. They were ferrous metal and not aluminum. A couple small shavings were on the screen and O-ring of the valve. I also noticed a small piece of the O-ring in the chamber. It must have been pulled off when removing the metering valve. It is a very tight fit putting it back in.

I will be happy to get this failing CP4 HPFP out of the Jeep so it quits sending metal into my HP fuel system.

Not a fix but I can sleep better and still drive it until the recall is figured out.

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
Did you ever let the truck run out of fuel or not prime fuel system after fuel filter change? Just curious if any air ever got to the pump that you know of.

rchandler341

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you ever let the truck run out of fuel or not prime fuel system after fuel filter change? Just curious if any air ever got to the pump that you know of.
No it has never run out of fuel. When changing the fuel filter I have always primed the system a minimum of (10)ten times. The last time I did (40)forty times over the period of (4)four hours. Each time it cranked for a couple seconds before starting up. I have seen others on youtube that took considerably longer cranking before they started.
Sponsored