Results are only viewable after voting.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
What's up peoples? Seems folks are fairly opinionated about diesel engines, just wondering how much first-hand experience we have on the board here for those considering a diesel JT.
I have had 4 pre-DEF diesels, two Super Duty's and a WV diesel powered Samurai (which I did the conversion & have owned 21 years now. I also have a Cummins 3.9L powered Scrambler that I drive on nice days. Wife has an ecodiesel 2016 GC we drive daily = only DEF diesel I've owned.
Also have 2 diesel tractors & a Kubota diesel lawnmower.

Eh, could have worded the poll options better but hopefully you get the idea -
Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Opinionated??.. I'd say its a polarizing topic. Never had but want.

...Bacon makes everything better

Cruizer8

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Freedom Edition, 1983 Postal Jeep
I have never personally owned a diesel vehicle, but my dad has owned a handful of Ram 3500's with the Cummins. He has only had one that required DEF, however, and probably won't be getting another one that requires it. It was a pain and he had to fill the DEF tank more than expected.

That being said, I still plan on getting a diesel because it should theoretically have a better time at consistently towing my 6000# trailer. I don't want to be towing and having the gas motor constantly at high RPM's.

Roddy13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have never personally owned a diesel vehicle, but my dad has owned a handful of Ram 3500's with the Cummins. He has only had one that required DEF, however, and probably won't be getting another one that requires it. It was a pain and he had to fill the DEF tank more than expected.

That being said, I still plan on getting a diesel because it should theoretically have a better time at consistently towing my 6000# trailer. I don't want to be towing and having the gas motor constantly at high RPM's.
It will be interesting to see if TFL truck does a head to head comparison between the 3.0L ecodeisel and the pentastar for towing with the Gladiator.

I think it may be closer than expected which is another reason why I'm not sure I want to wait.

The ecodiesel was tested a few years back pulling 7,200lbs and the engine was pulling high rpm's (for a diesel) to do the job and they described it as a "challenged" engine and overall slow.

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Well, not considering a diesel JT due to my prior experience with diesels. Currently have a Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel that is back at the Jeep dealer AGAIN due to diesel exhaust system issues (and stuck in a loaner vehicle). Also have DEF-less diesel Kubota tractor and MQ Power generator (which I've added a fuel pump to to make a fuel transfer station for filling the tractor).

Grand Cherokee diesel has higher towing capability than the gas version. Unfortunately with the JT it's flipped and the diesel JT will have lower towing capability than the gas version.

Can't wait to get the settlement check for my EcoDiesel so I can sell it and get my JT (Granite LE) around August.

Sponsored

IGBTYS

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon - MY22 - Sarge Green
I'm gonna wait for diesel. Traded my Pentastar JK Wrangler on the Ford Ranger Raptor which has a tiny 2 litre, 4 cylinder diesel. Goes better than the JK with plenty of torque.

The diesel Gladiator will be a machine to behold and it's the one for me. Unless they drop a Hemi in it!

#missmyjeep

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've owned 2 diesel Jeeps, used 1 diesel F-350 at work, and have experience with the Cummins engines in the Ram HD trucks. My father is also a heavy equipment mechanic, so growing up as a boy I was constantly around Caterpillar, Nissan, Perkins, Navistar, and a few other diesel engines.

I'm a huge fan of the pre-DEF, pre-EGR, pre-scrubber diesels. They gave true benefits. Much more reliable, longer lasting, more torque, and more fuel economy compared to gas engines.

My opinion of diesels today is because from what I've seen, the modern emissions controls have killed 90% of the benefit of diesel. You still do get the very nice torque output. But you no longer get reliability, longevity, or fuel efficiency. Therefore, it's no longer worth the money.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
:like:
Well, not considering a diesel JT due to my prior experience with diesels. Currently have a Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel that is back at the Jeep dealer AGAIN due to diesel exhaust system issues (and stuck in a loaner vehicle). Also have DEF-less diesel Kubota tractor and MQ Power generator (which I've added a fuel pump to to make a fuel transfer station for filling the tractor).

Grand Cherokee diesel has higher towing capability than the gas version. Unfortunately with the JT it's flipped and the diesel JT will have lower towing capability than the gas version.

Can't wait to get the settlement check for my EcoDiesel so I can sell it and get my JT (Granite LE) around August.
Did you notice that the DEF system and other emissions components are now covered under extended warranty in the settlement?

I did the flash and it feels like they also did some transmission tuning. Feels better, believe it or not, off the line under acceleration and quicker shifts. I drive only in sport mode and my “butt dyno” gives it a :like:

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you notice that the DEF system and other emissions components are now covered under extended warranty in the settlement?

I did the flash and it feels like they also did some transmission tuning. Feels better, believe it or not, off the line under acceleration and quicker shifts. I drive only in sport mode and my “butt dyno” gives it a :like:
That's cool. My neighbor has a Ram EcoD and he's dreading the flash but wants the cash :LOL:. I'll let him know it won't hurt

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist

Yep, all covered under warranty (including emission sensors, which weren't on the original emissions warranty). Doesn't change the fact that I don't have my vehicle while they repair my diesel exhaust system. Again.

Any diesel fans out there want at EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee?

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, all covered under warranty (including emission sensors, which weren't on the original emissions warranty). Doesn't change the fact that I don't have my vehicle while they repair my diesel exhaust system. Again.

Any diesel fans out there want at EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee?
Is it a White Summit over Brown Leather?

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist

CDJeeps25

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep WJ, 2007 Jeep WK CRD, 2018 Jeep WK2 EcoDiesel.
I own a DPF 2007 Diesel Grand Cherokee, and a 2018 DEF Diesel Grand Cherokee. Love them both.

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
Do you choose bacon if you have had both?