First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT auto; 2005 Wrangler TJ Unlimited
Occupation
retired
For folks who have their JT Rubicon already, I am wondering about your thoughts as to overall performance of the Pentastar V6 with the 33 inch tires, 4.10 gearing. Merging onto a highway, overtaking other vehicles on the road, and that out of thing. Sure wish it had a 5.7 semi option, but, is the Pentastar quite adequate to live with? Would the addition of a 2 inch lift and 35 inch tires make a noticeable negative difference?
Sponsored

Alaska-HWY JK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon LJ 2007 JKU 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Wifey traded her 2017 Rebel with Hemi and 3.92 gears on a Rubicon JT. Had a 2012 GC with Hemi prior to that. It ain’t no Hemi.
Passes fine without a load I guess. Pulled our little trailer OK (4400 lbs loaded)
I want to put 35/11.5/17 Trail Grapplers on it but it will definitely affect towing.

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
I put 35 inch tires on my gladiator rubicon and I think it does fine the only time I notice a difference is it down shifts from 8th gear to 7th gear going up hills I haven’t redone speedometer like some have done but i have the automatic transmission with the manual option and and I use that sometimes to keep it in 7th gear and the gladiator will move down the road the gladiator with a 5.7 hemi engine would cost a lot more than what we are paying now

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I am running 35s on my Rubicon as well but did adjust the speedo and while I did notice a slight difference from stock it isn’t much. I have towed my 4500 lb travel trailer without issue. My prior tow vehicle was a 5.7L Hemi Grand Cherokee and for sure it did better on hills but the Gladiator does just fine overall. I would absolutely have bought a supercharged 3.6 or Hemi if they offered options.

mikesjt

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Wrangler TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Coming from a 2015 Mustang GT to the Gladiator, this V6 is definitely NOT quick. But to me, it's fine for regular driving and for what I bought it for. And I absolutely LOVE my Gladiator!! I didn't buy it to be fast. I haven't towed with mine, but since it's not real peppy without any load, I can't imagine towing 7k lbs with it lol

Sponsored

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
I find the stock rubicon acceleration and passing capabilities to be better than adequate. I have a couple of 1000 mile trips with a few more 300+ mile trips on highway and I have had no issues at all needing more power. Want more but do not need more... My prior vehicle was a Power Wagon with the 5.7 hemi and I feel about equivalent in terms of passing and merging capabilities.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Goes like a scalded cat compared to my 2015 Ecodiesel. It is tuned differently than my 2018 JLR with a 6-spd too. Big thumbs up passing traffic at 7,000 ft elevation. Also getting 20 MPG. No complaints. It will also get noticeably faster and better fuel mileage after 4k miles.

Heinoceros

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
overland with 35 inch tires, recalled spedo, i dont even have the 4.11's, and its fine. It doesnt like 8th much, the slightest hill at ~65-70 and it shifts back down into 7th, but i think thats what it is supposed to do.

i test drove a jk many years ago and found the acceleration to be atrocious. This is no sports car but it really feels a lot more responsive.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
In stock configuration it's quick. The JL Wrangler ran like a startled cat because it's lighter, but the JT does just fine.

Once you throw 35s and heavier aftermarket wheels and lift kits that catch more wind into the equation, performance starts to drop off very quickly.

I'm actively trying to sell my 35s for that reason. I need performance more than I need 1" of offroad clearance.

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
For folks who have their JT Rubicon already, I am wondering about your thoughts as to overall performance of the Pentastar V6 with the 33 inch tires, 4.10 gearing. Merging onto a highway, overtaking other vehicles on the road, and that out of thing. Sure wish it had a 5.7 semi option, but, is the Pentastar quite adequate to live with? Would the addition of a 2 inch lift and 35 inch tires make a noticeable negative difference?
This weekend I did a 500 mile round trip excursion. All highway. Have to say I was impressed with the performance. I could merge, pass, and maintain higher speed 77+ very easily.

This vehicle has no issue cruising and maintaining speeds above posted speed limits. It's very deceptive as it doesn't "feel" like your doing what the speedo reads out. I like that. Also, you aren't mashing the pedal when cruising at 80mph.

My thought is if you drive "normally-semi aggrssive" you will find the performance pleasing. Conversely, if you want to drive it like a sports car (aggressive) meaning looking for instant response when pushing pedal to floor then, you will be disappointed.

My jeep is completely stock (JT LE) and I feel the performance is above average for a truck that offers unique capabilities. You wont be threatening any records whether it be 0-60 or top end speeds but day to day driving and using it within its limits should put a smile on the majority of owners faces.

I should have started with this but my vehicle is 2 months old and now has 1400 miles.

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
No issues, have towed around 5000lbs through Shenandoah mtns. in VA and Poconos in PA without issue. It loosens up after 4-5k miles and mpg jumps up .5-1mpg.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
No issues, have towed around 5000lbs through Shenandoah mtns. in VA and Poconos in PA without issue. It loosens up after 4-5k miles and mpg jumps up .5-1mpg.
Interesting. You’re the second one to say mileage improves after 4-5 K miles. I’m wondering if you had your oil changed before or after you noticed this improvement.
Thanks.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Interesting. You’re the second one to say mileage improves after 4-5 K miles. I’m wondering if you had your oil changed before or after you noticed this improvement.
Thanks.
I have my first oil change scheduled for today (7k miles, oil life is still at 20%). So before oil change. I noticed the exact same behavior on my JLUR, so I think it just takes that long for the Pentastar to fully break in.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Nice, lets see some pictures of the rig in tow. I have a slightly smaller travel trailer and towed it in the Shenandoah mountains a couple weeks ago. Here is mine.

IMG_0802.jpg

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator rubicon and 2018 Rubicon JL
its an awesome V6 IMHO ... has nice power and is fine on the highway wrt passing etc... (and I have a 2inch lift and running 35s and not much difference noticed from when it was stock) .
Sponsored