Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So I don't remember seeing this answer and I've been following the complete thread. Have we determine that the controller needs to mount as received or as shown in the awesome directions.
From what I recall reading it appears to work either direction.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Another fail @Jeep cares. How simple helpful and effective would it have been for Jeep cares to post that bulletin to let us know what was going on. But as usual members have to give Jeep cares the information.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, has anyone tested the controller in a truck built after January 2020 to see if the brake lights come on when the manual brake button is pressed?

Isn't that the issue that affects California compliance in the trucks built before January 2020 that require a diode in the harness?

Did they actually fix the problem, or just build a diode into the truck harness?

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
Right, that's how you set it for automatic braking, right? But what I'm curious about is after you set it, can you then manual brake to a different setting? So on a normal controller you have the dial to set the auto maximum, and you have a separate lever to manually brake proportionally.

If I'm following you right, This one only has a dial to set the gain. Then a manual button to apply brakes independent of the vehicles brakes. No other levers or settings. If you hit the manual button it will apply the brakes at the level set on the gain dial.

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
I'll have to try it with this controller, but my 1500 pound Aluma tilt bed car hauler (1600 with spare, tool box and tools) needed 4 to stop smoothly with the Redarc. So maybe this one is close in the numbers. Won't matter, I'll have to test once the weather settles and I hook up again.

The detent in mine isn't easy to feel. The knob turns hard enough (not real smooth) and the detents aren't pronounced very well but it will definitely hold setting better than the Redarc which had no detent and turned waay too easy. It was too easy to change by just brushing against it.
My knob turned with ease. The detent felt clear and concise. You can almost hear it click as you turn it.
Info for my JT.
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
LED lights
Auto trans
Tow package
Passive entry but no Adaptive CC or Blind spot detection
My MDH is 010811, So Jan 8th for build date?

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
044DD5A4-59F8-4180-B3FB-907D1B3E90FF.jpeg

after much debating with the dealership about the wire harness and ECU flashing they were trying to get me to pay for. They came across this STAR report.
Bottom line they are aware the controller isn’t working and there is no fix currently

So it is isolated to JTs built before Jan 2020? You guys who had issues confirm that?

Sponsored

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine was built February 2020. I haven't ordered controller yet. Does that mean my truck should be good to go if I buy mopar controller?

According to the bulletin you should be fine. Mine was a Jan 2020 build. No issues

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I don't remember seeing this answer and I've been following the complete thread. Have we determine that the controller needs to mount as received or as shown in the awesome directions.

I flipped mine around as the instructions showed not as it came. Mine worked fine...but....mine is a Jan 2020 build

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Did they actually fix the problem, or just build a diode into the truck harness?
This was my guess as well, but we’d probably have to have someone with a later build truck check it out with a multimeter to verify. I saw someone post elsewhere they have a later build truck that works fine, but no trailer brake lights with the manual button. This is the exact same behavior as the diode equipped harnesses on the older models, which leads me to believe that the newer ones do indeed have a diode or similar on the truck side.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This was my guess as well, but we’d probably have to have someone with a later build truck check it out with a multimeter to verify. I saw someone post elsewhere they have a later build truck that works fine, but no trailer brake lights with the manual button. This is the exact same behavior as the diode equipped harnesses on the older models, which leads me to believe that the newer ones do indeed have a diode or similar on the truck side.
Again I wish I had full wiring diagrams for the trailer circuits as there are relays for the trailer lights - trailer park, left and right turn, backup, etc. - I see those can be set to active or inactive in the system.

Also - engineering would have known of the change if a diode was added because of change control, version control. They could look at the revision history and see it in a heartbeat.
Companies that make electronic things must keep strict histories on them, if they so much as change the company that makes the PCBs for them, they have to revision it.
When you create an electronic circuit, if you move a trace or add or change any component, suddenly that software ups your revision level and you have a rev'd product. It's automatic.
So if they added anything, it was done in the software, a component was added, a trace changed, they were forced into a revision level change. No way around it.
Especially if they sell to the EU.
ISO compliant companies have teams that do nothing but watch over revisions and the paperwork involved, and they are audited every so often.

If there was a diode added - someone had to request it, it had to be engineered, drawn into the PCB, which meant a revision change, then it had to be tested with that change, the company that makes their boards and electronics had to receive the change, and it had to be documented to the very first vehicle that got it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My knob turned with ease. The detent felt clear and concise. You can almost hear it click as you turn it.
Info for my JT.
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
LED lights
Auto trans
Tow package
Passive entry but no Adaptive CC or Blind spot detection
My MDH is 010811, So Jan 8th for build date?
I can feel the detent, but it's not clean and crisp. It feels like it's rubbing on plastic. They aren't definite and there's no sound to it, it sort of "falls into a dip" of sorts but isn't locked solidly into a detent.

Not that many people provided build dates in the poll I put up so we only have a handful to go by.
But it does sort of follow -

User​
Errors?​
Build date​
ACC?​
LED lighting?​
jaxmax​
N​
08/21/20​
N​
N​
Pitch​