Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Haven’t hooked a trailer up yet to test it, might be able to tomorrow though. I assume they SHOULD come on when I push it, right?
They have to come on to be California compliant. The fix for the pre-2020 trucks is a diode in the line, which prevents the trailer brake lights from coming on when the manual button is pressed. It is suspected that the Jeep fix was adding a diode to the wire harness in the truck. Testing if the trailer brake lights come on when the manual button is pressed will show if Jeep actually fixed the problem, or just came up with a fix to cover it up (diode in the truck wiring).
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Haven’t hooked a trailer up yet to test it, might be able to tomorrow though. I assume they SHOULD come on when I push it, right?
They won't. Others who have 2020 built trucks have checked and said no, they don't. These are basically mopar branded 3rd party controllers like Redarc, etc. No provisions for trailer brake lights when you use the trailer brake only button.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They have to come on to be California compliant. The fix for the pre-2020 trucks is a diode in the line, which prevents the trailer brake lights from coming on when the manual button is pressed. It is suspected that the Jeep fix was adding a diode to the wire harness in the truck. Testing if the trailer brake lights come on when the manual button is pressed will show if Jeep actually fixed the problem, or just came up with a fix to cover it up (diode in the truck wiring).
My bet is against a diode in the truck wiring. If they did that it tells me they KNEW of the issue with brake controllers over a year ago - and yet released on that they knew would not work with 2019 built JTs? I don't buy it.
These are nothing more than Mopar branded brake controllers like Redarc and Curt.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I tried every scenario and couldn’t get the issue to happen. I pushed the button while in park/drive/neutral and for each I tried with and without the brake pedal depressed.

Just as a reminder, it’s a fully loaded Rubicon trim built June 2020. I ordered the trailer brake control very early in the year from BAM Wholesale so I imagine I got one of the first they received.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, it looks to be an issue with earlier builds. Anyone in the 2020 time frame have an issue?
No, they will not.

I have shown my spreadsheet that shows we found the date connection, and then Jeep came out with their communication basically proving what I have in the spreadsheet.
No one with a 2020 built JT will have this issue - I'll post these again - it's a KNOWN thing with 2019 builds (I have info from about 3 others as well that falls right into this same pattern) -

User​
Errors?​
Build date​
ACC?​
LED lighting?​
Aberk​
Y​
06/09/19​
Y​
Y​
jwilson2899​
Y​
07/06/19​
Y​
Y​
atoy74​
Y​
07/09/19​
Y​
Y​
ShadowsPapa​
Y​
11/09/19​
Y​
Y​
Jsands​
Y​
12/06/19​
Y​
Y​
jeepfitter​
N​
02/17/20​
Y​
Y​
Pdiddy​
N​
06/25/20​
Y​
Y​
Pitch​
N​
08/20/20​
Y​
?​
jaxmax​
N​
08/21/20​
N​
N​
kclendaniel​
N​
09/11/20​
Y​
?​
Monte.Trumbull​
N​
10/16/20​
Y​
Y​

Jeep Gladiator Mopar factory trailer brake controller - my impressions and review 044DD5A4-59F8-4180-B3FB-907D1B3E90FF

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Installing the MOPAR controller now. Thanks for the note on that upper strap. I was having a lot of difficulty following that part of the instructions.

(Caveat... I didn’t read all 13 pages) has anyone thought that we could unscrew the “box” from the bracket to make the whole kit look like the one in the instructions? Anyone know if this would effectively break (I so wanted to put “brake” 🤣) the controller? I.e. not make it work properly because it’s not positioned properly?

oh, and OP, you’re right. The tech at the dealership said that we were missing the ADH wire and wouldn’t install it... so here I am. SMH

i just finished the install, I just need to swing by the dealership for the computer enabling thing they have to do. But so far, when I push the button (without a trailer connected) I hear a click and the dash does not blow up.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
Installing the MOPAR controller now. Thanks for the note on that upper strap. I was having a lot of difficulty following that part of the instructions.

(Caveat... I didn’t read all 13 pages) has anyone thought that we could unscrew the “box” from the bracket to make the whole kit look like the one in the instructions? Anyone know if this would effectively break (I so wanted to put “brake” 🤣) the controller? I.e. not make it work properly because it’s not positioned properly?

oh, and OP, you’re right. The tech at the dealership said that we were missing the ADH wire and wouldn’t install it... so here I am. SMH

i just finished the install, I just need to swing by the dealership for the computer enabling thing they have to do. But so far, when I push the button (without a trailer connected) I hear a click and the dash does not blow up.
No programming is needed, there is nothing to do once the controller is physically installed.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Like OMTBiker said - no flash for this. It's not an integrated controller. Odd but that's what we have found. Those who have installed it on 2020 build date JTs find it works just fine, and even my dealer said it wasn't a flash issue causing the troubles with the 2019 build date JTs.

Find the Star communication posted here multiple times, print it, take it to the dealer and show them there is no such ADH code. Odd that they don't even bother to look that code up to see what it is - only to find there is NO SUCH CODE for the Gladiator. Any sales person could tell them that.

And yes, that mounting position on the bracket has been hashed out in at least 2 threads several times. 2 machine screws, I believe the nut may be a 8mm wrench or socket if needed. Remove the screws, flip it around, put the screws back - done. HOWEVER - it works EITHER ORIENTATION.
My guess is that the book is wrong about THAT, TOO - and they decided it was easier to connect things with it AS SHIPPED, or else those putting it together never got the VERY BAD, POORLY DONE, instructions to know how to assemble them.

In short, this controller is a definite cluster xxxx from the get-go.

The only thing special about it is the knob that sort of matches the rest of the JT's interior design, otherwise now that we have them, it's just another brake controller. Appearance is the only redeeming quality.

Because the dealership service writer and tech were so nice, soo good, and spent so much time only to be thwarted by Jeep star team and the lame lazy ill-informed parts goofs at Jeep HQ I'm going to send that tech a copy of the star communication and tell him that we finally have an answer, and thanks for all of his efforts. I want to save him from spending another 2+ hours on another JT only to find that it, too, can't be fixed (yet)

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Awesome! I guess I can go hitch up then. Thanks!

— off-topic alert!
Unfortunately I still need to go visit the service department for body bolt issues while installing rockslide steps. One of the bolts wasn’t even tightened from the factory, and I don’t think can be. It’s really hard to turn and I don’t want to brake it.

cheers!

FREEZE451

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave | 2021 Grand Cherokee L
Awesome! I guess I can go hitch up then. Thanks!

— off-topic alert!
Unfortunately I still need to go visit the service department for body bolt issues while installing rockslide steps. One of the bolts wasn’t even tightened from the factory, and I don’t think can be. It’s really hard to turn and I don’t want to brake it.

cheers!
Did you try heating the bolt up?

One tip is to tighten/loose repeatedly.

They are a pain, but they did eventually give for me.

Anyways, good luck!

Sponsored

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I think I got 5 of the 6 bolts tightened properly, but one just won’t move. I think I’ll let the warranty deal with it.

Dardvl

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU Sahara, 2020 JT Sport S MTP
Occupation
Unified comms engineer
I need a sanity check. Bought mine the day it came out for my JT (2020 build date). No ACC, Max Tow Sport S. Install was smooth overall once I flipped the controller and realized the instructions were wrong. Pushing the button doesn't jack up my dash at all, my problem is with the dial....it only spins from 1 to 7. I was mad at myself for screwing that up and left it alone until tonight we're I pulled the dash again to double-check the install.
There is only one way to lay the knob on the dial, with little nibs to prevent incorrect placement. So WTF? Do your dials go from 1 to 10, or just 1 to 7 like mine?
Jeep Gladiator Mopar factory trailer brake controller - my impressions and review PXL_20201123_224014671
Jeep Gladiator Mopar factory trailer brake controller - my impressions and review PXL_20201123_224004696

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Gee, I'll have to check. I've never tried going end to end with the dial. I know it isn't a nice smooth turn, the detents are mushy and not well defined. IMO, the "dial" portion is really cheap and flimsy, not like other more solid controller dials.
If something is going to break - it will be the controller control for sure.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Should turn all the way from 1 to 10, and should have detents at every number with a click, should not be "mushy". That was the only real problem I had with instructions, it shows how to set each piece in place , so when the three parts go together it works, you can sort of force it if not careful.....Jack
Ps, sorry I didn't notice this thread earlier, hopefuly it went well?

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Should turn all the way from 1 to 10, and should have detents at every number with a click, should not be "mushy". That was the only real problem I had with instructions, it shows how to set each piece in place , so when the three parts go together it works, you can sort of force it if not careful.....Jack
Ps, sorry I didn't notice this thread earlier, hopefuly it went well?
Seeing how everyone else has a nice dial that actually had detents that work and clicks into place at each number or half-way between each makes me wish I had just removed mine and sent it back.
Even if the other problem is resolved, the dial is cheap and the detents not defined on mine - you can sort of feel detent spots if you pay attention when turning it but you have to pay attention.

Funny thing is that the dial part is the part that went easy, made sense and was the most simple part of the whole install. But seeing how teeny the plastic light guide was I was also super-careful with it as I figured it would break if I dropped it.
Sponsored