Sponsored

Why no max tow with the manual transmission?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Manual, automatic, tow package, no tow package, hard top, no hard top, gray, blue, white, black, red (insert any other color here), leather seats, cloth seats, LED, no LED, steel bumpers, factory "plastic" bumpers, winch, no winch, stock wheels, non-stock wheels, stock tires, non-stock tires, the Gladiator is simply a great truck and will make a lot of people very happy.
(not everyone, but then some just don't know how to be happy anyway even if they were given their favorite truck for free)
Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I'm not wrong. It's not dependable, there have been many owners have problems with their MTs. It's not strong enough, as evidenced by the lower tow rating. It's not built for power, as people who have tuned their JTs with manuals have blown out their MTs.

For anything more than daily driving, the MT is the worse thing Jeep could have done to the platform.

So yes, it sucks.

OP
OP

flsupraguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'm not wrong. It's not dependable, there have been many owners have problems with their MTs. It's not strong enough, as evidenced by the lower tow rating. It's not built for power, as people who have tuned their JTs with manuals have blown out their MTs.

For anything more than daily driving, the MT is the worse thing Jeep could have done to the platform.

So yes, it sucks.
Lol

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales

So yes, it sucks.
What a dweeb...............
Sad thing is that comments like this may sway someone who is on the fence and enjoys manually shifting through the gears.

OP
OP

flsupraguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

So yes, it sucks.
I had a manual gladiator and loved it. I only sold it because I needed a 3/4 ton truck to tow my race car trailer. I know others with a manual gladiator and they have had no issues (even towing)......

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Manual Transmission = "Millennial Anti-Theft system." Ha. :clap: :LOL::giggle:
I hear that a lot, but I think it's really Gen-z that would not know how to drive a manual. I'm a millennial, and most of my friends in high school drove manuals still at the point I graduated. My friends were car nuts, so certainly not the majority, but there were enough of us.

Everyone who had a car had 90s Hondas which were 10-15 years old at the time, or old trucks, depending on which crowd they were in. We all grew up playing Gran Turismo on the original PlayStation, and watching the first Fast and the Furious in the late 90s and early 2000s which made manuals seem like the cool thing.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
I don't hate on the automatic, but my wife and I prefer stick, so it's great they still make one. The JT wouldn't have even been on my list with no manual. I didn't enjoy the Tacoma as much as the Gladiator, so I'd probably be in a JL, or if that had no stick, we'd on that Bronco waiting list.
I think this is important.... I wouldn't have considered, much less bought the JT either if it didn't come in a manual transmission. @JeepCares please note this, we are still out there, and only buy your vehicles for this reason ha.

I need a truck, have owned an F250, F350, a Tacoma, and several Tundra's.... I simply need a truck bed for my job. My needs of having to tow 8000+lbs dropped, hence the shift to smaller trucks. I only need to tow around 3500lbs once or twice a week now, which my manual does without any issue happily.

If the Gladiator didn't offer a manual, I'd have just stayed in the Tundra line. I loved all my Tundra's, great trucks, and the 5.7 V8 was awesome.... no BS, just go.

But, I realize the world is changing fast towards boring, and I simply wanted a manual again that could be my daily driver before everything goes electric or all automatic. I grew up, learned on and took my driving test in the early 90's on a stick, it's just simply a more enjoyable driving experience to me.

So, if I wanted a "Max Tow", I'd sure look elsewhere, but if like others have said, you want a sweet Jeep with a very usable truck bed and still most of the off road ability, get a Gladiator!

If I was serious about towing, I'd get at minimum a full-size or 3/4..... they just tow so well these days. But then I'd also still have a Jeep lol, cause who wants to daily drive a full-size or 3/4??

And, to the guy that says the manual sucks? LOL I have a Blast everyday with mine, be it daily driving or towing around 3500lbs. Have you actually driven one? 🙈 Transmission shifts smooth, clutch once you learn the shift points is great, but does improve after the first 1000 or so miles.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37

So yes, it sucks.
This is ludicrous.

I have been on this board since anyone was even able to start taking deliveries of JTs and I have especially kept an eye out for and read anything I've spotted having to do with clutch and manual transmission, because that is what I wanted, what I bought, and what I drive. I wanted to be alert to issues before I made the final decision to buy an MT, and after I bought one, I want to be alert to issues connected with the MT and clutch

In that time I can recall one person mentioning needing the actual manual transmission replaced.

I don't really hang out (now) in tuning circles here or elsewhere (but I have done engine swaps and performance engine builds in the past) and if you start pumping substantially more than stock power through a stock drivetrain on a vehicle that is not horsepower-oriented, you should be alert that you are very likely to find one or more weak points and that the results may be sudden and ugly. That's the price of admission if that's your thing. And you may want to choose one OEM option drivetrain over another to suit your goals.

Lower tow rating doesn't mean the transmission is inadequately strong, it means that that's what it is rated for. It has to be able to meet that under worst possible conditions of steep grade, hot weather, etc. Given the extent to which so many people don't know how to competently drive a clutch/ manual (even in ordinary usage, before you consider towing), and this vehicle having a population of potential customers who may not come from an experienced truck/towing background, if I were a manufacturer, I would be very cautious in what I rated the MT for. And a manufacturer has to assume that some people will test and push past the limits. So I expect that there is actually some substantial margin in there that is not reflected in the 4,500 rating.

If you buy a JT MT expecting more than a 4,500 official tow rating, it's a purely self-inflicted wound. If you buy a JT MT expecting to send dramatically more than stock horsepower and foot-pounds of torque through it, it is a self-inflicted wound.

I would be comfortable towing more than 4.5K with this rig with MT under reasonable conditions (I have towed more than that using vehicles I consider less capable than my JT MT) although I probably woudn't do it except if I were in a real jam, just because I don't want the headaches that could go with getting pulled over or the issues someone could make of it if I were in an accident, even if someone else caused the accident.

Don't like the parameters of the MT in the JT? Don't buy one. Hopefully you haven't. The ZF 8spd AT is superb, and is used in a range and echelon of vehicles that is like a wall of prestige: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

But don't inflict your unthinking reaction on the fact that we have the option to have an MT, and we get to choose with our eyes open whether the MT and what it very transparently can and cannot do suits our individual wants and needs.

This kind of "engineering by tantrum by non-engineers" will drive the last few MT options like the JT off the market even faster than is otherwise inevitably going to happen.

Long live the MT, for as long as we can keep it!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette

So yes, it sucks.
Total horse crap. There have been autos go belly up, too, even though it is an outstanding transmission. Does that make them weak? Nope. You can find those easily on an internet forum where people with problems flock.

I'm betting you drive an auto. So again, you have no idea what you are talking about, as I said before.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I could argue that point after towing yesterday on our hills and highways. It stayed in 4th as I got onto hwy65 and attempted to achieve 65 mph. It's up hill for a good mile. It stuck in 4th at about 4,000 RPM until it finally hit 5th as things started to level off - I finally hit 65 mph. Once I hit ground that was a bit more level it shifted to 7th, then 8th, and then 5 seconds later, back down to 6th as it was woosing out trying to maintain 65 even on ground we in Iowa consider level (that doesn't exist here unless you go to the NW part of the state where the glaciers leveled things off)
Most of the time it was a matter of 2500 rpm or so, several times it stuck around 3,000 rpm, frequently saw 4,000 rpm. When it did shift up to 7th, then 8th, it didn't stay there for more than a few seconds at best.
I finally popped it into manual mode as I was sick of it STILL with that load trying to achieve 1500 rpm in 8th gear. 8th gear should totally disappear or be locked out when towing, IMO. It's totally worthless. My trip just to test things out yesterday, it tried 8th gear about 6 times or so and didn't stay there for any longer than 4 or 5 seconds top.
The truck spent most of its time at 2500-3,000 rpm, quite a few stretches it was at 4,000 trying to get up to speed.
On the positive side - the transmission temp hung around 198-210 degrees, oil about 220, coolant temp ranged from 197 to 220. (coolant temp on these things take some wild swings.
I wanted to see how that transmission did under the load and the stupid constant tries to get to 8th gear. Towing with the engine RPM under 2,000 is crazy but that seems to be what the PCM's goal is even with 4800 pounds in tow.
Obviously, I'm going to be in M mode in this a lot next month.
I'd rather town with less throttle and more revs (within reason) than lugging it. I almost always switch to manual once I'm on the highway. I'll drop down a couple of gears if I'm going up a hill and it also allows you to stop the hunting if you dip a bit into the throttle which might prompt a downshift that you don't want.

My wife has a T6 Volvo wagon. Its pretty quick, but very very torquey. If the car is in D and I go to pass someone, it downshifts and jerks and she yells at me to slow down.

If I keep it in manual and drop to 5th before giving it any throttle, the shift is invisible then it just smoothly torques its way past the other car and ehh never notices. ha.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What manual is in the hellcat? We want that one! And the engine too 😂
Ha Ha ha. Its an auto Trans in the hellcat.

And . . . its just a beefier version of the AT in the Jeep. The ZF 8HP.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Ha Ha ha. Its an auto Trans in the hellcat.

And . . . its just a beefier version of the AT in the Jeep. The ZF 8HP.
Challenger Hellcats are available with a manual transmission... They always have been. It's a Tremec TR-6060. But don't just take my word for it. Go build one on dodge.com.

https://www.dodge.com/bmo.challenge...2DR/PAE,X9,ESD,DEC,TW8,WEB,AF,APA,UAS,25R,3EJ

You might be thinking of the charger version, but most versions of v8 challenger, including the hellcat, can be had with three pedals.

Jeep Gladiator Why no max tow with the manual transmission? iris

Last edited:

Jim7983

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
I recently purchased Gladiator because it had MT option. It is getting difficult to purchase a vehicle with a MT. Towing not a high priority for me but was disappointed to learn towing capacity was reduced because of the MT.

I do have an off topic question for other JT owners with MT. My auto start very rarely works, I think i noticed it twice in the past month, ~1,500 miles and not doing anything to defeat it. I just wondering if there is something wrong with my new JT or is it an added plus for the MT?
Sponsored