Sponsored

Are we going to see a 392 JT?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Hope so. It's odd that there is no performance engine available they could have put into the platform other than the V8

Stellantis is woefully short on engine choices in general as most of their stuff is either high end or around the same as the pentastar. You either get the euro shitbox turbos, the euro exotic turbos, the 3.6 minivan engine, or the v8's. The 2.0 turbo is not a bad engine , but its really just a similar engine to the 3.6.

I also think the gladiator is greatly hampered by its tow ratings in that because they're so limited in cooling but want to say best in class towing we dont get more engine choices that would necesitate possible redesigns or recertifications at lower tow ratings for "better" engines.
Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Most people want it. Unfortunately there’s a few types of people on certain coasts or landmasses in America or that sit in specific chairs that don’t want that.

Can we have a V8?

1642184367272.gif

The people spoken of previously:

1642184401429.gif
My two cents -

I think you're being frustrated at the wrong group - the writing has been on the wall (and in the law) for a very long time, and Stellantis dropped the ball on producing a gasoline engine for us that is both inspiring and efficient in a timely manner. This is on them.

Hell, if they had made more progress with the i6 sooner then maybe they would be selling enough of them now to justify keeping a niche Hemi around for a while longer. As it is, the Hemi has to go to force adoption of their more efficient powertrains.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Stellantis is woefully short on engine choices in general as most of their stuff is either high end or around the same as the pentastar. You either get the euro shitbox turbos, the euro exotic turbos, the 3.6 minivan engine, or the v8's. The 2.0 turbo is not a bad engine , but its really just a similar engine to the 3.6.

I also think the gladiator is greatly hampered by its tow ratings in that because they're so limited in cooling but want to say best in class towing we dont get more engine choices that would necesitate possible redesigns or recertifications at lower tow ratings for "better" engines.
Which brings up the question if a bit of a redesign of the front end would not have helped in the end to create a more successful truck platform rather than to clone the wrangler which I get is cheap. I also would not have mind a differentiated front end and they could have expanded that to a full size truck design as well to really compete with the raptor in the Mojave platform but I guess that is the job of the TRX and the 1500 in general. I am grateful we have the JT since it's really a one of a kind pickup/jeep/platform and super mod friendly

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Which brings up the question if a bit of a redesign of the front end would not have helped in the end to create a more successful truck platform rather than to clone the wrangler which I get is cheap. I also would not have mind a differentiated front end and they could have expanded that to a full size truck design as well to really compete with the raptor in the Mojave platform but I guess that is the job of the TRX and the 1500 in general. I am grateful we have the JT since it's really a one of a kind platform and super mod friendly
I think a lot of the customer base buys it precisely because it's a Wrangler with a bed. They have to be careful if they differentiate it too much. The popularity comes largely because it looks just like a Wrangler. The Wrangler parts fit, it looks like a Wrangler, and people like that. Plus It preserves the visibility and approach angle from the Wrangler. They have to be really careful if they redesign, or they'll lose a lot of folks.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I think a lot of the customer base buys it precisely because it's a Wrangler with a bed. They have to be careful if they differentiate it too much. The popularity comes largely because it looks just like a Wrangler. The Wrangler parts fit, it looks like a Wrangler, and people like that.
I could have still looked like a wrangler by being a little longer and wider to make room for better cooling/ engine setups?

Sponsored

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
Most people want it. Unfortunately there’s a few types of people on certain coasts or landmasses in America or that sit in specific chairs that don’t want that.

Can we have a V8?

1642184367272.gif

The people spoken of previously:

1642184401429.gif
Nailed it!

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I actually wouldn't be surprised to see a V8 still. Its true that Stellantis is moving towards electric, but there are a lot of markets that can't fully transition to electric. Reasons include charger distribution and range limits. The US truck market (and offroad-capable vehicles) are even more niche. If there is room in the fleet's efficiency, I think it will come, but at a premium price tag.

There is also a looming supply chain problem for battery technology that will make the current disruption look mild. Most of the world's raw materials for batteries come out of China. While all the automakers are publicly jumping on the electric bandwagon, I highly doubt they are putting all their eggs in that basket. The current US administration has 3 more years, but only 1 as anything more than a lame duck. After that, I think it is likely that much of the regulatory push for electric vehicles will be greatly diminished for a while. Electric vehicles are only 1 part of the solution, not the entire fix.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I could have still looked like a wrangler by being a little longer and wider to make room for better cooling/ engine setups?
Longer and wider would lose some folks too. I have a ram 1500 bighorn as a loaner right now. Great truck. Hate it. Too long for the garage. Too wide for the garage. Too hard to see out front over the hood. Have to make a 5 point turn to get out of the tight driveway, etc. One thing I do like on it: the mirrors. I can see out of the sideview mirrors. JT sideview mirrors are too small. Coming from cars and a two door wrangler years ago, the JT is very much on the maximum scale of largeness that I'd want. Any bigger is too big.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
True, taco and ranger and the ranger is getting a raptor version this year so they may actually do something for the 2024/5 refresh of the gladiator.
The raptor is not a v8, it's the V6 twin turbo. The bronco raptor will get the same. No idea what's in the taco, but my guess is Toyota will not stuff a v8 in there...

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
I could maybe see a 35” or 37” extreme edition 392 limited production. Maybe. Pricey but cool and someone would buy it.

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
The raptor is not a v8, it's the V6 twin turbo. The bronco raptor will get the same. No idea what's in the taco, but my guess is Toyota will not stuff a v8 in there...
The way of the V8 is dead. None of these will stuff a V8 since it's not needed. Both will probably get twin turbo 6s that blow the doors off the pentastar though so hopefully jeep responds

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Which brings up the question if a bit of a redesign of the front end would not have helped in the end to create a more successful truck platform rather than to clone the wrangler which I get is cheap.

Gee, I wonder what could they have done to the front end to keep the Jeep legacy but allow for more cooling?

Jeep Gladiator Are we going to see a 392 JT? 1642192210789

Midnight Rider

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S, RIP.
Occupation
Senior Construction Inspector
Vehicle Showcase
Gee, I wonder what could they have done to the front end to keep the Jeep legacy but allow for more cooling?

Jeep Gladiator Are we going to see a 392 JT? 1642192210789
Or (though yours is probably better cooling wise):
Jeep Gladiator Are we going to see a 392 JT? C3C26860-25C8-46C9-9B10-A06AFBCC5BCA

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
As others said, Stellantis has said the V8 is discontinued after MY2024. This mirrors a lot of other manufacturers timelines as well. So unless they surprise us next year, it's extremely doubtful. Either PHEV or small displacement engines with forced air is the most likely near future for all. This isn't necessarily a bad thing unless you like the "sound" a V8 makes. Turbo engines aren't what they used to be 20 years or even a decade ago. They are much better designed and have better longevity. They also produce some very impressive HP/torque numbers to rival most V8s and you have the added benefit of at idle or at cruising RPMs you use a lot less fuel. V8s are a very American thing as most of the world has fully embraced turbo cars and they perform quite well, so it's a proven technology. It will just be a cultural shift for us here, but the automakers are now forcing our decisions. If Stellantis developed and dropped a turbo I6 into the Jeep that did 450 horsepower and 510 lb-ft of torque the same as the Raptor I don't think any of us would be complaining.

Average Oregonian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Doubtful. I don’t think they sell enough Gladiators to justify it. I really wish they’d have developed a small displacement 6 cyl turbo application like the EcoBoost 2.7L; the power and fuel economy in the Bronco with that setup is enviable.
Sponsored